Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Reading the staff  (Read 8202 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Reading the staff
Reply #50 on: October 12, 2006, 03:22:45 PM
Can you explain to me what F2, G3, G4 etc... means?  I can't quite figure out the system.

Thanks - I am enjoying this discussion!

Pizno

Yes, this is something that I was taught and have carried it over into my teaching despite some arguments over it here on the forum.

Basically, it is a way of naming registers and octaves on the piano.  I find it extremely helpful in teaching for all ages and this is why I use it.  It's fairly straight forward so it tends to make a lot of sense for the student and help them sort things out.  They can grasp how many of each note there are on the piano, as well as having a specific name for each one which aids us in communication.

Anyway, the first "C" on the piano, the lowest C, is labeled "C1" and the rest of the "C's" follow a numerical pattern all the way up.  Everything in between the C's have whatever number after them that the C before it had.  For example, all notes between C3 and C4 will be threes : D3 E3 F3 ... etc. until we reach the next "C", changing the octave number.

Here is a page from Kostka and Payne, explaining this :

The A, A#, and B below C1 are 0's.

Hope that helps.

m1469  :)
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
For more information about this topic, click search below!