Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: What did Chopin think of his piece;"Fantasie Impromptu"?  (Read 32665 times)

Offline madgun2

• PS Silver Member
Hello. Im going to present "Fantasie Impromptu", and i have to say something about the piece! do anyone know what Chopin himself thought about this melody?  :)

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Re: What did Chopin think of his piece;"Fantasie Impromptu"?
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:41:20 PM
Well, don't want to make you feel bad or something, but he wanted it to be thrown in a fire because he thought it sucked and was way too similar to the last movement of Beethoven's Moonlight sonata.

Offline madgun2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:29:26 PM
Wow.. that will be a nice thing to say before i play it then... hehe ;D i think it's a advanced piece, at least for me...=)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:48:43 PM
Chopin was right, it is bloody awful and is fit only to be toilet paper.

Whilst i played as i expect every 3rd rate hack in the Universe has, I detest the piece and would gladly spit my dying breath at it.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline classical pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:16:19 PM
If Chopin did hate this "impromptu" so much, why did he carefully revised it in 1839??

The newer version in his own handwritting bears significant changes in harmonies and counterpoints writting and contains very clear expression marks almost everywhere.

I would like everyone who are working on this piece to have a research on this music in it's 1839 version. Available on wiener urtext edition and chopin national edition edited by Jan Ekier (not so reliable but a foremost musicologist anyway)

.... more about this impropmtu, it was the first improptu written by chopin but had never been published during his lifetime, therefore bare the "no.4" as the title. The term "Fantaisie-impromptu" is not by chopin but has a complicate story. few friends of chopin copied the manuscipt of this "impromptu"by chopin and some has put the name "fantaisie" on it. This fantaisie became quite popular, that later publisher put the combination title as Fantaisie-Impromptu... in Chopin's new 1839 version the title is just "Impromptu"

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:26:54 PM
I think it's quite interesting how Chopin waited until after his death to publish it.  It makes it fun to play, because you just know he never intended for you to have it.  Mwahaha. 

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 09:59:51 PM
I think it's quite interesting how Chopin waited until after his death to publish it.  It makes it fun to play, because you just know he never intended for you to have it.  Mwahaha. 

I think it was his sister who brought it upon you thal while she did not execute the wish of her brother to destroy the piece :o

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 03:58:52 AM
Well, don't want to make you feel bad or something, but he wanted it to be thrown in a fire because he thought it sucked and was way too similar to the last movement of Beethoven's Moonlight sonata.

I think it was a similarity to an impromptu by Moscheles that he found uncomfortable. By the way, it's in no way similar to the Moonlight sonata 3rd movement. But it's a very shallow piece by Chopin's standard, isn't it?

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 04:07:33 AM
You guys is a bunch of haters.    :P  It's a great piece, and it's not Chopin's fault that it's overexposed.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 05:51:50 AM
You guys is a bunch of haters.    :P  It's a great piece, and it's not Chopin's fault that it's overexposed.

I agree, I think it's a marvelous piece.  Most people love it the first 500 times they hear it.

Offline clhiospzitn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 06:06:28 AM
It's the piece that first made me fall in love with Chopin.  It's not my favorite anymore, but it still holds lots of memories for me.  :)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 04:50:49 PM
I think it was a similarity to an impromptu by Moscheles that he found uncomfortable. By the way, it's in no way similar to the Moonlight sonata 3rd movement. But it's a very shallow piece by Chopin's standard, isn't it?
There is a passage that is identical to the cadenza at the end of the moonlight, me thinks that's all they mean by similar.
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline njalli

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 08:06:51 PM
that work wasnt published untill few yers after his death by his closest friend jules fontana but no one knew about that piece until then so it is not know what he did think of it

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 02:42:30 PM
I love ticking people off.
I love it more when I play some piece that was never intended by the composer to be played by anyone. mwahahaah such a rebel.

The first few times i heard it, I actually liked it. Until I heard it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
I am sick of it.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 02:59:33 PM
that work wasnt published untill few yers after his death by his closest friend jules fontana but no one knew about that piece until then so it is not know what he did think of it

He said to Fontana: it's sheeyaat, burn it, but Fontana, a true friend, published it anyway.

Offline pk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 07:11:37 PM
What does it matter what Chopin or any composer think of their own music really :P
It just show what a weird person he was. And why burn any music really, just dont play or listen to it.
I think Chopin maybe thought of other piano pieces when he wrote it, but it came out like nothing else at that time.
Since the op 66 is one of Chopins most popular works, its just silly to say it stinks, :-\

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 08:55:09 PM
I like what you say!

Mozart supposedly thought his quintet for piano and wind was his greatest composition.
Beethoven snorted at someone who said he/she loved his Moonlight sonata.
Chopin wanted to burn his F-I, which is, however one likes it, a work of genius.
Everything Satie said was crazy.
Schumann was crazy.

Don't take what composers say literally!

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 09:34:35 PM
"Chopin is boring" --Nietzsche

Offline indutrial

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 10:24:29 PM
I like what you say!

Mozart supposedly thought his quintet for piano and wind was his greatest composition.
Beethoven snorted at someone who said he/she loved his Moonlight sonata.
Chopin wanted to burn his F-I, which is, however one likes it, a work of genius.
Everything Satie said was crazy.
Schumann was crazy.

Don't take what composers say literally!

Indeed. The best artists usually despise their own work and are hellbent on outdoing whatever they finished in the past. Franz Kafka asked his publisher Max Brod to destroy almost everything that he wrote right before he died. Thankfully, Brod decided to disobey his good friend.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 10:49:25 PM
"Chopin is boring" --Nietzsche

"pies is an idiot" -- retrouvailles

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 12:04:20 AM
"Chopin is dead" --Nietzsche

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 06:25:55 AM
"Chopin is dead" --Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead" -- Chopin

Offline klavierkonzerte

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 11:22:20 AM
this piece is one of the greatest piano pieces PERIOD.

even those who say they hate it love it but in denial, why would they have in there repertoir if they hate it?

if it was a bad,shallow piece it wouldn't be so monsterously popular and almost in every pianist repertoir.

and just because it's overplayed and butchered most of the time doesn't make it a bad pieces.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert