Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Haydn/Brahms St Anthony Chorale  (Read 12993 times)

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Haydn/Brahms St Anthony Chorale
on: July 09, 2008, 02:33:38 AM
Does anyone have a solo keyboard version of this?  What is it exactly?  Is it the theme to Brahms' Haydn variations?
Many thanks

Walter Ramsey

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn/Brahms St Anthony Chorale
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:48:47 PM
Brahms wrote it for 2 pianos, Ludwig Stark reduced it to one.

That is all i know really old chap.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline shaksu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:01:20 PM
"Brahms wrote the Variations on a theme by Joseph Haydn, op 56 in the summer of 1873. It was first composed for 2 pianos, the orchestral version followed the same year and received its first performance on 2 November 1873 in Vienna, under Brahms own direction.... The piano version may be regarded as a preliminary study for the orchestral version, although Brahms, by giving it a separate opus number, dignified it with the status of an independent composition." writes Stefan Hanheide in the cover insert of the Teldec recording of the work by Martha Argerich and Alexandre Rabinovitch.
It is believed that Haydn itself had based the theme on an Austrian pilgrim's hymn.
This theme later on became the theme for the Alma Mater of the Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. At the turn of the century, Peter Lutkin, NU's Musical Director, arranged the theme of Brahms as "Quaecumque Sunt Vera". A rearrangement followed by John Paynter, NU's Band Director in 1958, bringing it closer to Brahms version. Thomas Tyra wrote the lyrics. "Whatsoever Things Are True". A great University Hymn for a great School. "Hail to thee Northwestern" :)

Offline argerichfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 09:53:12 PM
Brahms wrote it for 2 pianos, Ludwig Stark reduced it to one.
I've also seen it arranged for one piano, three hands.  (Occasioned by one member of a duo piano team loosing the use of his right hand.) 

Offline pianovirus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:46:10 AM
This summer, Daniel Berman has played an own 2H transcription at the Husum festival. I don't know if it is available.
youtube.com/user/pianovirus[/url]

Offline dbpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:22:24 AM
I played my own solo piano version of the Brahms Haydn Variations at the 2008 Husum festival.    I composed this arrangement for the commemoration of the 200th anniversary of Brahms' death in 1997.  I also had the intention of creating a virtuoso piece for the concert pianist and tried to mimic the sound of two pianos in a solo arrangement.  Since Ludwig Stark's version is basically just an orchestral reduction, I know that my concert arrangement will appeal much more to professional pianists than Ludwig Stark's version. The score is available for purchase at www.cafepress.com/danbermusic.

Daniel Berman

Offline dbpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:05:44 PM
My score of the Brahms Haydn Variations for one piano is no longer available at cafepress.com.  It is now available for purchase at: https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/20687590

Offline musikalischer_wirbelwind_280

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 03:46:13 AM
Thank you for the update, maestro!

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 04:20:48 PM
There's an arrangement by Ludwig Stark under the Arrangements and Transcriptions tab at https://imslp.org/wiki/Variations_on_a_Theme_by_Haydn%2C_Op.56_(Brahms%2C_Johannes)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert