Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: The most powerful Beethoven piano sonata  (Read 4388 times)

Offline mcdiddy1

• PS Silver Member
The most powerful Beethoven piano sonata
on: August 05, 2009, 04:04:44 PM
What do you feel is the most powerful Beethoven Piano Sonata ?

For me I love the grand Waldstein Piano Sonata because it is very lyrical nad is swarming with enthusiastic themes. I also love the great strenght and energy it requires. I also love movement three of the Moonlight sonata which i find is very exciting and melancoly

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Re: e most powerful Beethoven piano sonata
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:48:51 PM
I believe that the last three sonatas are his most powerful. I won't say which of the three is most powerful, for I believe that is extremely subjective, but I know that they are head and shoulders above the rest in terms of power.

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 04:59:58 PM
For me, the most emotionally powerful is the sonata in E minor op.90. I also think the sonata op.28 is emotionally strong.
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 05:02:01 PM
I have a soft spot for op.78 in F-sharp major. I agree with the previous posts as well, even though I think all of the last 6 are equally as strong.
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 05:23:58 PM
For me, the most emotionally powerful is the sonata in E minor op.90.

Really? I played that work, and while it is very powerful, it still doesn't measure up to the last three.

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:36:05 PM
Really? I played that work, and while it is very powerful, it still doesn't measure up to the last three.

by power does he mean emotionally or in strength?

anyway, I usually do not emotionally connect with Beethoven's music that much, but I do with op.90 which is why I had nominated it.

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:55:17 PM
op 57, op 31 2.  surprised that nobody has suggested either of these.

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 01:27:05 AM
My opinion is the last three.  btw, which recs of the last three are the best?  I haven't listened to any of them for over at year I think.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 03:00:11 AM
I have some bootlegs of Hamelin which are, believe it or not, really good. Charles Rosen also has some good recordings of the late ones. There are many others I like but that don't come to mind.

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:25 AM
I have some bootlegs of Hamelin which are, believe it or not, really good. Charles Rosen also has some good recordings of the late ones. There are many others I like but that don't come to mind.

Have you heard Feltsman's recording of op.101 and op.106? he plays both of them very very well. Even Richter could not do a better job.

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:55:40 PM
Yes, I have, and I didn't care for them at all. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever cared for any of Feltsman's recordings. You aren't the first one to recommend them to me, either.

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 04:00:33 PM
Really? I thought he held the Hammerklavier together perfectly which is hard to do and it and his op.101 had such energy and musicality. What do you think of Gould's Beethoven?

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:55:00 PM
Yes, I have, and I didn't care for them at all. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever cared for any of Feltsman's recordings. You aren't the first one to recommend them to me, either.

I agree with Communist, to me Feltsman's Beethoven (and frankly a lot of what he plays) is over the top to me. I'm curious as to why you feel this way although you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline argerichfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 03:46:34 AM
I have a soft spot for op.78 in F-sharp major.
I've never thought of it as the 'most powerful', unless of course we're referring to the powerful genius behind its conception.  But having played this piece at uni, I can vouch that the second movement was one of the most extraordinarily difficult things I ever tried to memorize. 

Otherwise, it would seem to me that overall, the Op. 106 is one of Beethoven's most powerful compositions, regardless of medium. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert