Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: interpreters and recordings of mozart's piano sonatas  (Read 8497 times)

Offline tea cup

• PS Silver Member
interpreters and recordings of mozart's piano sonatas
on: January 25, 2010, 03:03:37 AM
Which are the best, or the most commonly regarded so? I'm looking for recordings of all of the sonatas.-For inspiration, and also so I can copy them, when I hear one of those "aha!" moments. I've heard the Gould recordings, the Uchida recordings, and the Pires recordings. And a few Richter recordings... I think it was Sonata No. 2 and No. 5.

Are there any recordings that really stand out from others? Besides the Gould recordings. 

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Re: interpreters and recordings of mozart's piano sonatas
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:30:37 AM
"Commonly regarded so" would not be Gould, nor Richter. I'm not stating a personal view, just, as you say, "commonly regarded".
Uchida is one such.
Perahia has recorded one disc of sonatas, which is, as you would expect, extremely fine!
Pires would be another.
You can also check:
Brendel
Eschenbach

Personally, I rank Alicia de Larrocha's complete edition as a sort of favourite.

Gould would, unfortunately, be "commonly regarded" as way too excentric, and Richter as simply not really at ease in the music of Mozart...

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:41:35 AM
Chalk up another vote for Alicia de Larrocha's set. They are my absolute favorite.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:29:57 AM
gould had nothing but bad things to say about mozart.  i always wondered why he recorded his music.  de larrocha, absolutely.  and kempff if you can find them.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:44:50 AM
I'm partial to Lili Kraus. She may not float everybody's boat, but I love those recordings. But there are many pianists and in individual sonata's I have my favorites, some expected...Uchida's K. 280, and some off the beaten path...Samuil Feinberg's K. 282 is a dream - one of my favorite recordings of all time. 

(I'd think Clara Haskil would be great...I realize I've only heard her in the concerti. Shame on me!)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 09:47:32 PM
I like Gould's recordings of the earlier sonatas and the fantasy in C minor.

For the entire set, maybe Eschenbach.

I second what Furtwaengler said about Feinberg's k.282, I listened to it yesterday and I was astonished.
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline slow_concert_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:50:05 AM
There are numerous performers to choose from. Murray Periah, Brendel (mentioned), Horowitz, Andre Previn, Barenboim. I am not sure if Schiff has also recorded a set.

If Larrocha's output is anything like her Albeniz, I'll refrain from listening ::) Ok, that's not fair - her Albeniz is not that bad, it's just not that good in my opinion.

Uchida & Gould are the two most breathtaking recorded interpretors of piano music in my book.
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Rachmaninov prelude in Bb Op 23 No 2
Mozart A minor sonata K310
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6
Busoni tr Bach toccata in D minor
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert