Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: RAVEL PAVANE POUR UNE INFANTE DEFUNTE FINGERING  (Read 9792 times)

Offline migamaral

• PS Silver Member
RAVEL PAVANE POUR UNE INFANTE DEFUNTE FINGERING
on: June 29, 2010, 09:36:05 PM
Could you give me some advice for fingering from measure 28 to 34?

Many thanks

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: RAVEL PAVANE POUR UNE INFANTE DEFUNTE FINGERING
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:48:06 AM
There's very little choice for fingering here.  The cantabile in the r.h. is always divided between the 4th and 5th finger and the legato is obtained through the pedal.  The inner staccato accompaniment is   basically 1 3 throughout.  The l.h.  1  or  1.
                 2                                  3      2
                                                    5      5

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:09:05 AM
I wanted to let you know that your post got me learning this piece.  I've always loved it.  Don't know why I never learned it.  THANKS! ;D
(I'm really getting into these clown faces!)

Offline comma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 10:32:30 AM
Could you give me some advice for fingering from measure 28 to 34?

Many thanks

I have worked and tried and thought a very long time until I found a good fingering solution for these measures. Therefore I don't want to make it public on an open forum.

Perhaps this will help you to bring out the melody without loosing the steady measure in the "viola parts": Many notes in the upper system can also be played with the left hand. Do so as often as possible. Remember, it's an orchestra piece and not written pianistically.

--------------------------

https://www.pianistenschule.de

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:04:37 PM
In effect, it was originally written for piano while he was in school, I think.  Many many years later orchestrated it.
And that's pretty selfish of you to keep your ingenious fingering to yourself.  You could have written migamarel a private message!  >:(

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 01:50:37 PM
I have worked and tried and thought a very long time until I found a good fingering solution for these measures. Therefore I don't want to make it public on an open forum.

Omg please dont make your finger-findings publicly, for they could reveal great danger and could be sold for millions!
1+1=11

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 02:04:49 PM
Here's what I do for RH, LH is easy.

Bar28
(125) 3 (12) 3 (12) (35) (125) 4

Bar 29
(125) 4 4 (25) (125) (24) (15) 2

Bar 30
(15) 2 1 2 (25) (15) (145)

Bar 31
(15) (23) (15) (125) (12) (25) (15) (24)   center around 2nd

Bar 32
(125) 3 (15) (125) (12) (25) (15) (24)  2nd center

Bar 33
(125) 4 (13) 5 (124) (125) (124) (123)

Bar 34
(124) (15) (15)     rapide:  125125

ps: please pay me 50% of all money made from this fingering :) Cheating by playing notes with the Lh is a noob way.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 02:29:02 PM
Here's what I do for RH, LH is easy.

Bar28
(125) 3 (12) 3 (12) (35) (125) 4

Bar 29
(125) 4 4 (25) (125) (24) (15) 2

Bar 30
(15) 2 1 2 (25) (15) (145)

Bar 31
(15) (23) (15) (125) (12) (25) (15) (24)   center around 2nd

Bar 32
(125) 3 (15) (125) (12) (25) (15) (24)  2nd center

Bar 33
(125) 4 (13) 5 (124) (125) (124) (123)

Bar 34
(124) (15) (15)     rapide:  125125

ps: please pay me 50% of all money made from this fingering :) Cheating by playing notes with the Lh is a noob way.
Thanks lostinidlewonder!  That's the ONLY way it can be done (except maybe for a thumb instead of a 2 here and there).  I'd really be curious to see what innovative fingering Mr/Ms Comma has come up with.  Maybe using his/her nose here and there... :-*

Offline whistlestop

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 07:42:57 PM
 :)
Hello there.
Very happy to find this thread because I'm struggling with this piece and have made a note of the fingering suggestions.
I don't s'pose I could crave an additional bit of advice for bar 60 onwards?
Do you try and play the RH D with left as part of the spread, or just split it and try and sustain the G with the pedal?
Sounds fairly naff whichever way I do it.

Offline kitty on the keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:29:38 PM
Can we all BLOCK COMMA? The reason I use this site is because of the sharing and caring of all these wonderful piano lovers. I aprreciate all they have given me and I hope I have given back in return. I guess COMMA is not familar with the Golden Rule. I have come across teachers with that attitude of keeping everything to yourself and never share your secrets with anyone.....I avoid those selfish people.  And by the way we ALL work very hard discovering fingering and alternate ways to play passages, and dont mind sharing their discoveries. So keep your hard work to yourself.............we dont want it! >:(

KITTY ON THE KEYS :P
Kitty on the Keys
James Lee

Offline wert718

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:28:08 AM
:)
Hello there.
Very happy to find this thread because I'm struggling with this piece and have made a note of the fingering suggestions.
I don't s'pose I could crave an additional bit of advice for bar 60 onwards?
Do you try and play the RH D with left as part of the spread, or just split it and try and sustain the G with the pedal?
Sounds fairly naff whichever way I do it.

The LH stretches pretty far as it is. Try and keep the D in the RH. Just my thoughts, thpough.
John 3:16

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 05:24:09 AM
I'm also learning this piece now and loving every minute of it!  I can stretch a tenth which makes things a little easier.  The first d, since it's the beginning of the last theme exposition, I roll with the left hand in an easy leisurely manner.  You can do the same with the next bar if you can't reach a tenth.  But even if you can, it's also nice to roll it "leisurely" and take the b with the left hand.  The problems are the fsharp and e in the right hand  on the fourth beat in meas. 60 and the 3rd beat in meas. 61.  Measure 60 is easily resolved by playing the e with the l.h. chord.  If you can't reach and augmented ninth, measure 61 is a problem.  Not playing the e at all sounds much better then "acciaccatura" e-fsharp, if you know what I mean.  what's vitally important is the cantabile of the r.h.  I find that lots of students get hung up on executing a "clean" pedal - that is, avoiding any sort of blurring of the harmonies. (e.g. 4th beat, meas. 60 to 1st beat meas. 61, beat 2 to 3 in meas. 61, etc.)  The pedaling is always on the 1st and 3rd beat.  Follow the cantabile with the pedaling and never break the melody.  The blurring effects that might occur only add to the exquisite melancholy of the piece.  It goes without saying, of course, that this pedaling entails an even lighter touch in the l.h. and accompanying 16th notes in the right.
What a piece.  I can't believe I never got around to learning it up to now!!!!!!

Offline whistlestop

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 08:40:45 AM
Many thanks for your insights. I'll try this and keep the word 'roll' in my mind while doing it and see if it influences my touch.
Have difficulty stretching even a 9th so this piece is an uphill struggle in these early stages.

Really want to play it well, though.

Offline comma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 02:35:30 PM
Can we all BLOCK COMMA? The reason I use this site is because of the sharing and caring of all these wonderful piano lovers.

This is a very cute little oxymoron – and it tells us a lot about kitty.

Some people concentrate on their work at the piano in order to find good solutions. Others hang around in forums - in the hope others will do the work for them. I have never met a serious artist who works the latter way.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 03:33:49 PM
What a dumb post.  Why do I find joy in helping other people with their pianistic dilemmas?

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 12:55:59 AM
I think revealing fingering for people is not giving away any secrets nor is a complete solution in learning a piece. It is showing them a path that the fingers should walk. However for the details in how to control these fingering one could write a couple of pages describing it but the point is that each individual will have a particular challenge that is acting against acquiring an effortless touch with the fingering. This can only be efficiently remedied with a personal knowledge of your own two hands. So in revealing fingering to people you are not making their work any easier they still have to understand it with their own hands with a decent amount of practice.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert