Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven op.111 1st movement  (Read 3519 times)

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven op.111 1st movement
on: July 10, 2010, 02:38:22 PM
There are some imperfections but I figured since I just want advice anyway they weren't worth correcting.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven op.111 1st movement
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:14:57 PM
Can't you do it again without that "avs medio demo" every 10 seconds?  It's unnerving!  But just for starters, do the Maestoso with a metronome.  You'll be surprised what a difference it makes.  I'm not saying it has to be "clockwork", but the living pulse is lost in your unsteady metrics.
Can you take out that voice from the "demo"?

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 05:21:48 PM
thanks for the tip but to be honest I'm not exactly sure what you mean about "avs medio demo"
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 05:23:23 PM
There's a female voice that announces "avs media demo" every ten seconds.  You mean, you don't hear it?

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:25:47 PM
I listened to it and it didn't have it then i converted the file to an mp3 could that be the reason?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 05:30:06 PM
Your talking to the wrong person about that stuff.  I just learned how to post something on youtube.  I don't even know what an mp3 is.   But she's still there, loud and strong!  ???

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 05:30:45 PM
alright well i'm going to take the recording off in that case and try to fix it. Thanks for your tip!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:32:47 PM
But from what little I heard, it's a very good start.  And I saw you're only 15 years old!  Amazing.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 05:21:45 AM
Just curious.  Before approaching this masterpiece, what other sonatas of Beethoven did you study?

Online furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:38:22 AM
Birba is right about the "avs medio demo." It is on there, and it is relentless...quite comical in a way.

I think you are on the right track with the first movement. It's really one of the better attempts on pianostreet. I hope that eventually you'll take the repeat, as it is very important to the dramatic scheme and in giving the proper weight to the development. Upon listening, I'd guess that you actually do use the metronome, and I think if you continue the way you are going some of those consistency issues will iron out. At the beginning of op. 111, I like to think of the rhythmic impulse of the 9th Symphony's first movement theme, especially it's devastating transformation in the recapitulation. In op. 111 each of those octave jumps is like the stroke of an ax felling a tree...intense stuff, and then it's a reactionary unfolding leading to the epic storm - I'd not want to rush through the timpani like trills going into the Allegro con brio ed appassionato...there's so much room for drama (but you're doing great!). Are you playing from memory? I heard some hick ups.

On the whole you seem to be poised and especially mature for your age. Your hard work on this piece is sure to pay you back much in the future. Congratulations on the fruits of your labor. Please share more as your journey progresses.  :)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 01:47:32 PM
birba, prior to this i played op.2 no.3, op.13, and op.90.

Furtwaengler, thank you very much for both your commplents and your suggestions. I did play from memory but the hickups were more from me not having the piece totally under my control.

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 02:10:49 PM
Pretty good job, I agree with Furtwaengler.
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 09:46:28 PM
Try using the LAME mp3 encoder to make your mp3's.  Its open source.  You can use it with Audacity which is also open source.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 12:57:23 AM
Hi!
I have received a good dose of Beethoven "lectures" and info since mid-last year from my son as he took up the challenge of 2 full sonatas and 2 full concertos and other smaller pieces and it makes me feel more confident to say the sound and temper is definitely Beethoven and you play it very well as a first effort considering your young age.  As they say... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! :)
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert