Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt Hugarian Rhapsody No. 11 (live recording -1.30.2011) & Lugubre Gondola I  (Read 2674 times)

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
This is from yesterday's concert. It is an audience recording. This is the first time that I've played a full recital in the Mannes Concert Hall.

The Lugubre was the encore after the Liszt Sonata.  :)

here are the scores:

https://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/7/76/IMSLP05076-Liszt_-_S244_Hungarian_Rhapsody_No11__edition_b_.PDF

https://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/b/b8/IMSLP04095-LaLugubreGondolaIS201_1Liszt.pdf

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
I especially liked the lugubre gondola.  It's being played more these days, and rightly so.  It's a little masterpiece and you brought it across.  Did you use the "una corda" ever?
I had to play that rhapsody and I never liked it.  It's such a minor piece of music.  But you played it very well - you can't get much better than that.  bravo.  How did the mephisto go?

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
Mephisto 1 was played like crap - way too fast, many wrong notes, and quite chaotic. Definitely not worthy not share.

I didn't use the una corda in the Lugubre except for the last 3 measures.

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Hi Furioszpianist.  Very nice.  You seem to think well musically and you bring life to the music.  but a quick question. You mentioned that the mephisto  didnt work out so well.  Do you find you play better in private than public? I only ask because my parents who are both professional musicans ( They are both members of our local symphony orchestra) are always on me about my stage presense.  Well like I  said just a thought.  Please keep posting , i love your playing and your artistry gives me ideas on how i might  add to my own playing. 

Cheers, Becky
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert