Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: baldwin acrosonic spinet  (Read 7548 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
baldwin acrosonic spinet
on: February 12, 2011, 09:16:28 PM
hi, i have a key sticking on a baldwin acrosonic spinet.  i can't figure out how to get to the action!  i was able to take the front board off, the board in front of the keys, and the lower portion by the pedals, but how do you actually access the hammers etc?  does anybody know?

if i can access them, i will be able to fix it.
thanks

Offline keys60

Re: baldwin acrosonic spinet
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:12:34 AM
I have an Acrosonic spinet. Just lift the lid. The hammers are right up on top. Do not remove the action unless you know how. Acrosonic spinets actions have to be tied up a certain way or the stickers (think push rod) will fall out of the holes and you will have a real mess on your hands. I wish I could verbalize it better but I would have to type a book.

When you say sticking, sticking how? Do you think the hammers are rubbing together? Maybe could it be a hammer butt jack is stuck and not moving freely? That being the case the key wouldn't depress. That can be accessed by taking the knee board off underneath. Is the hammer not returning? Might be a spring popped off. You could gently rock the key back and forth, side to side if the key bushing is stuck. Careful, don't crack the key.
There's a lot of things that could get stuck and its difficult to diagnose on the site.
Take the knee board off, get down there with a flashlight and depress the key that is sticking and compare it with the note next to it that is not. You may be able to spot the problem. Or simply lift the lid and see if 2 hammers are stuck together. Common in this crazy weather.

Best of luck.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert