Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Project Shapety Shape  (Read 70284 times)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Project Shapety Shape
Reply #600 on: January 14, 2013, 06:48:45 PM
Assuming that you attended the latter in either a professional or a visiting capacity, I suppose there might not be a lot in it, although had you attended it in the other capacity there would be quite a difference, I suspect

I went to the gym in an attempt to lose weight. I went to the prison cell as I attempted to make love to a car park barrier after 15 pints.

Again, there is really not a lot in it as far as pleasure goes.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #601 on: January 14, 2013, 09:21:04 PM
I went to the gym in an attempt to lose weight. I went to the prison cell as I attempted to make love to a car park barrier after 15 pints.
OK, well many thanks for this elucidation; I trust that the latter did not occur after the said barrier sought to bring a rape case, especially given that the consumption of 15 pints (now let me see - how much is that in litres?) of that water which you so wisely advocate upthread should not reasonably be expected to bring about such a circumstance.

Again, there is really not a lot in it as far as pleasure goes.
Er, no - quite so...

By the way, I still don't get the title of this thread, given that "shapety" is evidently not the unintentional typo for "shapely" that I'd originally taken it to be; ah, well, since I'm not party to the meaning (if any) of "shapety" and am far from anything that anyone could reasonably consider to be "shapely", I suppose that it hardly matters, really...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #602 on: January 14, 2013, 10:27:46 PM
I have no idea what Hinty is on some days.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #603 on: January 15, 2013, 01:34:50 AM
Clearly, you've never been in my gym...

Do the young Roman boys still make complimentary comments as women walk by?

In my day there was a group of young guys hanging around the fountain in Pizza Navona who would speak about how pretty the women were who walked by.

In Seville men will sing a song to you as you walk down the street. As a woman you know you are over the hill when nobody sings...
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #604 on: January 15, 2013, 07:29:46 AM
I have no idea what Hinty is on some days.
Broadly speaking, I am on some days what I am on others.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #605 on: January 15, 2013, 08:34:38 AM
In my day there was a group of young guys hanging around the fountain in Pizza Navona
Freudian slip par excellence! "Piazza", surely? I don't think that "pizza"'s quite acceptable in a thread such as this one!

Best,

Alistair

Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #606 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:20 AM
I don't think that "pizza"'s quite acceptable in a thread such as this one!

For those of us who achieved our "shapety shape" walking to and from the refrigerator, I think it most certainly is.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #607 on: January 15, 2013, 12:03:41 PM
For those of us who achieved our "shapety shape" walking to and from the refrigerator, I think it most certainly is.
But "those of you" who do that are not those with a weight and fitness problem who are trying to do something about it, surely? Anyway, why "the refrigerator"; don't you make your own pizzas fresh from scratch? Shame upon you!

All that said, it's a shame that the poor old pizza's acquired such a bad name as a stodgy, high-calorie high-carb piece of junk and I fear that the ubiquity of the American deep-pan variety bears no small amount of responsibility for this; as an Italian friend has said to me, it's become thoroughly corrupted, just as has the Cornish pasty which can now apparently be filled with just about anything and still be called (albeit misleadingly) a pasty.

Best,

Italistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #608 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:08 PM
Freudian slip par excellence! "Piazza", surely? I don't think that "pizza"'s quite acceptable in a thread such as this one!

Best,

Alistair

Good catch! Have you ever been there?

Pizza could be made very healthy if one put their mind to it. However most of us don't have the kitchen or knowledge to do that.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #609 on: January 15, 2013, 10:53:34 PM
don't you make your own pizzas fresh from scratch? Shame upon you!

I did actually do that once - dough and tomato sauce and everything. Took hours; tasted great. 

But then I moved within very easy walking distance to the best pizza place in Sydney.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #610 on: January 16, 2013, 10:37:55 PM
Do the young Roman boys still make complimentary comments as women walk by?

:) :) :) Yes they still do..
I'm sure I'll miss them when I will be too old and unattractive to became 'transparent'. Sometimes Italian guys/men can be so funny, witty and... disarming  ;)

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #611 on: January 17, 2013, 12:02:05 AM
:) :) :) Yes they still do..
I'm sure I'll miss them when I will be too old and unattractive to became 'transparent'. Sometimes Italian guys/men can be so funny, witty and... disarming  ;)

That is something the foreign girls never could handle. We would walk the dogs and get coffee near a famous fountain. While the female tourists tried to throw three coins we would hear the comments. My wife would always wonder if they were directed at her and I would always answer yes!

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #612 on: January 17, 2013, 01:37:12 PM
You did the right thing!!!!  ;) ;) ;)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #613 on: November 10, 2013, 05:27:35 AM
This thread is very important and ought not to be buried. I have again increased all types of my training. One reaction I had to it was posterior tibial soreness. I have always been flat-footed and I suppose twenty-five years of ferocious hardcourt tennis under pronation laid the foundation for the present issue. I do not run, never having been any good at it at the best of times, but I do walk many miles in addition to my training. I am not convinced big spongy shoes are the answer, but neither are hard flat ones.

Do any of the older members here have any tips on this specific problem ? I have bought new, strong shoes and higher insoles, and I am sure once these are broken in things will slowly improve. However, anything with foot tendons seems to take twenty years. Come to think of it, past about fifty-five, anything takes an age to recover from. 
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #614 on: November 11, 2013, 03:42:32 PM
This thread is very important and ought not to be buried. I have again increased all types of my training. One reaction I had to it was posterior tibial soreness. I have always been flat-footed and I suppose twenty-five years of ferocious hardcourt tennis under pronation laid the foundation for the present issue. I do not run, never having been any good at it at the best of times, but I do walk many miles in addition to my training. I am not convinced big spongy shoes are the answer, but neither are hard flat ones.

Do any of the older members here have any tips on this specific problem ? I have bought new, strong shoes and higher insoles, and I am sure once these are broken in things will slowly improve. However, anything with foot tendons seems to take twenty years. Come to think of it, past about fifty-five, anything takes an age to recover from. 

Sorry to be negative but you're just wearing out. It's hard to realize because there is no recovery. Find the most comfortable shoes for the surfaces and enjoy your freedom. Too soon you will be looking at mobility appliances, scooters, etc.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #615 on: November 11, 2013, 11:07:52 PM
Sorry to be negative but you're just wearing out.

Just like your manners, though they appear to be much further gone.  :P

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #616 on: November 12, 2013, 12:41:38 AM
Sorry to be negative but you're just wearing out. It's hard to realize because there is no recovery. Find the most comfortable shoes for the surfaces and enjoy your freedom. Too soon you will be looking at mobility appliances, scooters, etc.

Ha ha ! Of course, we are all wearing out from the day we were born. However, I think this particular, common problem might just be treatable short of a trip to the cemetery. Continuing to push the physical boundaries with age can only be good. My father played interclub tennis singles at eighty-five and with any luck my genes will be on my side. I just asked the question in the unlikely event someone had experience with it.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #617 on: November 12, 2013, 01:43:13 AM
Oi.  I feel like I'm wearing out.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #618 on: November 12, 2013, 08:04:45 AM
Ha ha ! Of course, we are all wearing out from the day we were born.

Indeed old chap we are.

In your situation I would suggest hard shoes and a nice bike.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #619 on: November 12, 2013, 08:55:23 AM
Indeed old chap we are.

In your situation I would suggest hard shoes and a nice bike.

Thal

I would really enjoy that and have often thought about it. However, New Zealand drivers are very rude and aggressive; possibly the worst in the world. There have been hundreds of injuries and several deaths of cyclists recently. I don't know a single regular cyclist friend who hasn't been knocked down. My exercycle, of course, gets a ninety minute thrashing almost daily, and yes, hard old-fashioned tennis shoes are the best for that. As a kid I used to cycle hundreds of miles all around Auckland. It was wonderful, but nowadays it's just too dangerous.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #620 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:35 AM
New Zealand drivers are very rude and aggressive; possibly the worst in the world.
You really haven't visited Italy, have you?(!).

The problem with driving a bicycle on public roads is twofold; firstly, one has to be fit enough to be able to merge and drive with the prevailing motorised traffic (which most people simply are not) and, secondly, one has somehow to try to contend with the widespread sense of animosity on the part of car, van, coach and truck drivers that arises from the fact that cyclists have no legal requirement to
a) pass a driving test
b) have adequate insurance
c) pay road tax.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #621 on: November 12, 2013, 11:15:49 AM
You really haven't visited Italy, have you?(!).

Indeed this is true, Italian drivers are the worst I have encountered. If you don't move within 3 millionths of a second after traffic lights have changed, every horn within 10 miles seem to go off.

And yet, over the border in France, cyclists are admired and often given the right of way.

Thal

Curator/Director

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #622 on: November 12, 2013, 07:38:29 PM
Indeed this is true, Italian drivers are the worst I have encountered. If you don't move within 3 millionths of a second after traffic lights have changed, every horn within 10 miles seem to go off.

And yet, over the border in France, cyclists are admired and often given the right of way.

Thal

I like the system in Spain where there are specific rules for cyclists. They will give out tickets. There are also rules for passing requiring giving a certain berth to the two wheeler. And no pelotones!

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #623 on: November 15, 2013, 03:06:00 AM
Coincidentally, this article appeared in today's paper. Fifteen deaths a year, mostly middle-aged men - no thanks.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #624 on: August 21, 2014, 10:32:53 PM
And lift *ouch. Lift *ouch

Lolz

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #625 on: August 22, 2014, 08:05:18 AM
And lift *ouch. Lift *ouch

It's a multitasker for sure. 

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #626 on: August 27, 2014, 02:40:24 AM
How did this turn out so far?  I'm guessing.... Not much change really?  I read people can make a change for a while, maybe a few years, but genetics determines everything and that's what they might be fighting against.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Project Shapety Shape- new year's resolutions 2015
Reply #627 on: December 31, 2014, 02:35:30 PM
totally going to do the falkon hawk method!
 ;)

;D

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #628 on: December 31, 2014, 08:39:50 PM
Tibia pain, no.  Incurable unrepairable joint pain, yes, my knees have no cartledge in them due to 18 years running in Army combat boots, and big spurs visible on X-rays to boot. The orthopedic surgeon says "stop doing that".  Well, running in combat boots stopped age 38, but I'm not stopping the exercise program.   
Keeping up cardiovascular fitness is important, because with the testosterone gone after age 60, the only internal pain medicine is endomorphine produced by cardiovasular health.  I occasionally fall off the curve and can hardly walk as a result.  This year I have been able to maintain four to five days a week 30 minutes on the exercycle 120-160 bpm heart rate, and as a result I am walking fine.  
However there are still twinges which can't be covered on the average by endomorphine.  When I'm going to do something especially strenouous, like bike 27 miles out to my country property, I take an ibuprophen for three hours pain suppression, or naproxen for about eleven.  Both are effective about an hour after taking it. I'm not in the opinion these are addicitive, as when I'm not doing anything especially strenuous I have no need for them.  I've had a more dangerous perscription  NAISD, meloxicam, and it is not any more effective though perhaps easier on the stomach.  I have had an esophogal blister for thirty years, so taking ibuprophen or naproxen is warned against on the label, but I haven't had a major bleeding event yet.  
I'm also developing tendon pain in my right thumb when playing piano, and I really don't want to stop that either.  I'm taking an anti-inflammatory pill an hour before I practice as a routine now, if I hadn't taken one already for a workout aftermath.
BBCnews reported people over 60 lose 20% of their muscle mass every year if they don't work out, and I'm embarrassed by those spindly old people that can't even walk up a driveway to a concert without stalling out.  So I do some pilates exercises with a five lb weight for arm strength, some old man pushups and situps for back and stomach muscles, some toe touches including side movements added recently to stretch out the sides of my strong gluteal muscles.  BTW those gluteal muscles are all the cushioning I have left, all the fat melted off my comfortable sitter in the last couple of years.  Those old ladies who bring an afghan to church to sit on could really use some toe touches to make themselves more comfortable.  
Enjoy life.  I have two uncles that made over age 97 with diabetes and high blood pressure for 40 years (one still alive and fine), and my GrandDad made 95 with poor sugar management for his diabetes.  Now we have such great sugar free foods.    My Dad that sat down in a chair at 70 and stopped even vacuuming or mowing the lawn,  lost his ability to read and make sense of it age 72 due to little strokes, and died of congestive heart troubles age 78. So IMHO, don't sit down, keep moving, use it or lose it, that includes your brain. 

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #629 on: December 31, 2014, 09:32:11 PM
That's funny. I had just decided to resuscitate this thread again and found your post. Synchronicity ?

I agree with everything you say, indianajo, keeping physically and mentally active as we age is very important. Exactly how we do it will probably vary a great deal from one individual to another, but that doesn't matter as long as we do something.

I finally found the right balance of exercise and support, and my foot tendons have been excellent for several months now. My training seems very similar to yours. I have increased mine to just under two hours a day, comprising thirty minutes resistance with dumbells, expander and bullworker, and ninety minutes of reasonably hard exercycling. Expanders and bullworkers, it seems to me, are not just jokes from the back pages of men's magazines, but are exceedingly useful and clever devices. Unlike weights, their resistance is continuously variable, and they can be used creatively in new positions every day.

I have to say that spindly older people are far rarer than obese ones around here. Far more worrying is the rapidly increasing number of fat children and young people, at least in this country. Looking around the local shops, I would be surprised if any of them are going to reach my age, never mind being fit.

As you say, the brain also has to be kept moving, something many physically fit older people seem to forget. Longevity is not my primary objective, but rather I want to feel healthy and happy during however many years remain.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #630 on: May 30, 2018, 02:46:50 AM

Not for those workouts where you see the great white buffalo in the sky, but actually still a decent mix for light cardio, and post strength training walking

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #631 on: May 30, 2018, 04:17:13 AM

Not for those workouts where you see the great white buffalo in the sky, but actually still a decent mix for light cardio, and post strength training walking

I always listen to Scarlatti when I exercise...makes it bearable :)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #632 on: May 30, 2018, 09:58:01 AM
I always listen to Scarlatti when I exercise...makes it bearable :)
Why not just listen to Scarlatti?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #633 on: May 30, 2018, 11:41:33 PM
Why not just listen to Scarlatti?

Best,

Alistair

I spend a good deal of time training and I enjoy it, and I spend even more time on music, but try as I might I cannot mix the two with any positive outcome. I can think about other things while training but music seems an exclusive, all or nothing experience for me. Plenty of people seem able to but whatever ability is involved I obviously lack it.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #634 on: June 12, 2018, 08:34:53 PM
Well done old chap. Age is indeed no barrier. I have just hit 53 years old and have hit my target weight of 95 kilos and can now deadlift 3 times my bodyweight. Amazing what eggs, tuna, chicken and hard training can do.

Hope you are well. I recall you kept fit pushing your ancient lawn mower.

Luv

Thalxx
Curator/Director

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #635 on: June 12, 2018, 09:19:02 PM
Well done old chap. Age is indeed no barrier. I have just hit 53 years old and have hit my target weight of 95 kilos and can now deadlift 3 times my bodyweight. Amazing what eggs, tuna, chicken and hard training can do.

Luv

Thalxx

That is a stupendous achievement. My activity tends more toward the aerobic side, but I do use weights, expanders and bullworkers as I think a certain amount of resistance training is necessary to maintain balanced fitness. There was an article in the paper the other day about Precious McKenzie, who has lived here for many years now. He is 81, still lifting heavy weights and training hard. Yes, I am very well thanks and I still mow my large kikuyu lawn with a handmower. I have never used a motor mower in my life, too dangerous, smelly and noisy.Good to see you posting again and I hope you are enjoying your music.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #636 on: June 12, 2018, 10:17:15 PM

Luv

Thalxx
Good for you, Thal! Puts me to shame. OK, I've never been especially overweight but that's just as well, I think, because I'm quite sure that I'd be unable to withstand the rigours of routines such as you have put yourself through!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #637 on: June 13, 2018, 12:50:27 AM
Thank you my friend. Sometimes I wonder how I have withstood my own routines, but so far I have.

My average day is cycle 15 miles to work, do 8 hours work, cycle 15 miles home, walk 2 miles to the gym, do 1 hour and walk home again. Technically, I am still obese on the BMI chart, but I am not really carrying any excess and have a 12 inch difference between chest and waist.

Taken me 6 months to get this fit and as long as I stay injury free, I have no intention of putting on any weight.

Luv

Thalxx
Curator/Director

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #638 on: June 13, 2018, 01:40:14 AM
BMI is only a rough guide anyway, naturally muscular people will always show as obese. That is an excellent daily discipline which will impart great benefit as you get older. I turned seventy last year, a grandfather now, would you believe, and I am still increasing the intensity and duration of my workouts. Such reactions as I have had are very minor, the odd strain, but nothing worrying. I am convinced my training is the reason I take no medication when most of my idle friends are on all sorts of pills.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #639 on: October 13, 2018, 04:10:29 PM

Dropped 100 pounds in a year with bodyfat percentage nearing single figures. Got some muscles back as well.

Technically obese with a BMI of 30, but BMI is a stupid measurement.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #640 on: October 13, 2018, 04:17:04 PM
URL=https://s9.photobucket.com/user/Thalbergmad/media/20181007_100116.jpg.html][/URL]

Getting close to a 500 pounf deadlift. Will post the video when i have done it.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #641 on: October 13, 2018, 06:45:16 PM
Can't congratulate you enough, Thal, (not so) old chap! What you've achieved is quite extraordinary! Well done!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #642 on: October 13, 2018, 07:34:06 PM
Thank you my dear fellow. I almost enjoy the disclipline as well. Being able to turn down a bakewell tart is strangely empowering.

My banjo technique has no doubt suffered though.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #643 on: October 13, 2018, 07:57:33 PM
Well done ! I now train for around eighteen hours a week. I tend toward the athletic build rather than the muscular, so about 80% of it is aerobic, I was never much good at lifting things. I find training allows me to record the mammoth, physically demanding improvisation sessions I enjoy, which is a wonderful side effect. Look forward to seeing your amazing lift !

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #644 on: October 14, 2018, 12:20:28 AM
Thank you my dear fellow. I almost enjoy the disclipline as well. Being able to turn down a bakewell tart is strangely empowering.

My banjo technique has no doubt suffered though.

Thal

release the Krakin! good show man, er  beast!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #645 on: October 14, 2018, 10:23:38 AM
Congrats.

On to the questions....

What's your routine?

What did you eat?

What about stretching/loosening muscles/reseting?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #646 on: October 14, 2018, 04:33:20 PM
Thanks old chap.

On average i get between 60 and 80 hours of exercise per month.  Usually 20 hours in the gym and the rest walking, cycling and lots of intervals.

My gym routine pretty much changes every 6 to 8 weeks. At the moment i work my entire body 4 to 5 times a week, but each visit i change the number ov reps per set. One day 5 to 8, then 8 to 12 then 12 to 16. Mainly compound lifts (squats, deadlifts. Bench presses and rows) supersetted with various isolation sets.

My diet varies between 1950 calories on non training days to 2260 on training days and i operate off a small defecit of anywhere between 500 to 1000 calories per day. My diet is protein rich with good carbs and not a great deal of fat. I eat chicken, tuna, porridge and plates of veg every day, along with brown pasta, rice and almonds. I often eat cucumbers to ward off any hunger pangs.

I supplement with whey isolate, multi vitamins, creatine, citrulline, testo boosters, collagen, turmeric, bcaa, glutamine and i keep my water intake at 3 litres per day minimum.

This routine works for me. Wouldn't like to say if it would work for others.

Luv

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #647 on: December 16, 2018, 04:02:02 PM

Starting the bulking phase now. In a calorific surplus.
Curator/Director

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #648 on: December 16, 2018, 08:49:22 PM
Well done, Thal. I was surprised to find I do 18 hours exercise a week. Mine comprises much less resistance than yours, but possibly more aerobic in the form of cycling, fast walking and labouring in the garden. At seventy-one things are a bit different, with appearance concerning me much less than how I feel. How do you adjust your schedule when you have an infection, for example a cold or cough ? Provided there is no fever my doctor says I should go for 50% of everything, but I think it might be more complicated than that.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #649 on: December 17, 2018, 07:06:25 PM
I say old chap, since i started training i seem to have completely avoided any kind of cold. In addition, migraines have gone, piles have gone, snoring has stopped, ED has gone in the opposite direction and very strangely, my hair has started to grow back.

On the downside, heavy resistance training seems to have completely destroyed what piano technique i had, so my routines would not be recommended to anyone on here. My training is pretty brutal at the moment as is my protein intake.

I don't think a cold would stop me going to the gym, but probably would curtail my winter walks.

You are an example to us all sir and i salute you.

Thal
Curator/Director
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert