Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Forum moderators?  (Read 8080 times)

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Re: Forum moderators?
Reply #50 on: February 07, 2012, 08:49:12 AM
Yeh, but you could always tread mud into the carpet!  Whatever happened to property is theft anyway?

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 03:52:04 AM
Yeh, but you could always tread mud into the carpet!  Whatever happened to property is theft anyway?

This would be my approach.

Offline jesc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: February 10, 2012, 12:30:46 PM
People are here for different reasons. I would prefer not to interact with anyone here cause 90% of the users here annoy the heck out of me with the way they post or whatever. And I'm quite sure I annoy a lot of people here as well (which gives me a bit of sadistic pleasure in it).

But still I came back from my "indefinite" leave because this is a piano forum whose website design I find the most tolerable. I could really use the info people are discussing here. The audition room is a good place for me to gauge my competency.

Offline ade16

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 08:57:08 PM
I've not been on this forum long but it is clear that there are always going to be characters out there who take more pleasure from winding people up than actually improving their piano playing. Indeed do they play the piano or are they just gate crashing for a laugh to wind us sensitive musicians up?
My intention is to sort the wheat from the chaff and pick out the useful observations/helpful comments; and filter out the useless stuff. Don't let them get to you! I am a newbie on this forum but by no means a newbie to life and human nature. Lets just concentrate on the piano stuff and ignore the sad troublemakers. Like the playground bullies, they are in a tiny minority and incredibly immature for their age, whatever that is. I cannot believe these cyber nuisances are serious musicians? I am disappointed but, sadly, not surprised. This is always going to be the problem with faceless networking sites such as this. They haven't the courage to say stuff to our faces in the same room. I also doubt very much they possess the required courage and strength of mind and body to perform on the piano in front of a large audience, if indeed they can play a note of music at all! That's my personal view and take on this, and I very much hope the annoying and disruptive posters out their read this, because that's what the majority probably think about you, judging by the number of indignant posts I have just read. If those same annoying people would like to justify their behaviour on musical or other grounds, I am sure that the majority of reasonable, decent and helpful users of this site would like to hear it! By the way, who are and where are the moderators of this site? Whoever they are they seriously need to step up to the plate and tighten up the rules and the consequences for breaking the rules! Anyway, in my experience people can be within 'the rules', but still be annoying, rude and obnoxious! Such is life!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 10:21:53 PM
I don't know exactly what or whom  you are referring to.  I hope it's not me. I know there are a few who constantly argue among themselves, but i don't find anyone who is particularly belligerante to everyone.  Maybe you could cite an example.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:32 PM
I don't know exactly what or whom  you are referring to.  I hope it's not me. I know there are a few who constantly argue among themselves, but i don't find anyone who is particularly belligerante to everyone.  Maybe you could cite an example.

Oh its me for sure. I'm terrible these days.

I never stop looking for opportunities to -

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: April 04, 2013, 06:57:00 AM
If someone can come to those conclusions after being here a little over 24 hours, then perhaps they are in the wrong place.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: April 04, 2013, 07:16:22 AM
That explains it all.  Whew!...

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: April 04, 2013, 07:18:27 AM
Oh its me for sure. I'm terrible these days.

I never stop looking for opportunities to -

priceless!

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: April 04, 2013, 07:21:09 AM
I've not been on this forum long but it is clear that there are always going to be characters out there who take more pleasure from winding people up than actually improving their piano playing. Indeed do they play the piano or are they just gate crashing for a laugh to wind us sensitive musicians up?
My intention is to sort the wheat from the chaff and pick out the useful observations/helpful comments; and filter out the useless stuff. Don't let them get to you! I am a newbie on this forum but by no means a newbie to life and human nature. Lets just concentrate on the piano stuff and ignore the sad troublemakers. Like the playground bullies, they are in a tiny minority and incredibly immature for their age, whatever that is. I cannot believe these cyber nuisances are serious musicians? I am disappointed but, sadly, not surprised. This is always going to be the problem with faceless networking sites such as this. They haven't the courage to say stuff to our faces in the same room. I also doubt very much they possess the required courage and strength of mind and body to perform on the piano in front of a large audience, if indeed they can play a note of music at all! That's my personal view and take on this, and I very much hope the annoying and disruptive posters out their read this, because that's what the majority probably think about you, judging by the number of indignant posts I have just read. If those same annoying people would like to justify their behaviour on musical or other grounds, I am sure that the majority of reasonable, decent and helpful users of this site would like to hear it! By the way, who are and where are the moderators of this site? Whoever they are they seriously need to step up to the plate and tighten up the rules and the consequences for breaking the rules! Anyway, in my experience people can be within 'the rules', but still be annoying, rude and obnoxious! Such is life!

And such is life that there's always going to be someone crapping out a gigantic diarrhea post with a severe need of paragraph Imodium; causing someone to quote the entire mess with a reference to either the first or last sentence. The only ones they read, thank god.

Offline ade16

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: April 04, 2013, 01:17:52 PM
I know I have made a wrong turn, straying into this area of the site, just out of curiosity, finding my way around. I will now just stick to the sections I have come across wherein we can discuss real music and performance issues, which was what actually attracted me to the site in the first place. I was just expressing an opinion.Yes, I can come to a conclusion in less than 24 hours having read many of the postings. Since when does one's right to an opinion become invalid due to a very short period of time being a member? How does that work, or am I not a member of an elite group who have made hundreds or thousands of postings? Who cares how many? Everyone is entitled to an opinion!  ::)  

Anyway, what I said was in good faith and was actually in response to the problem with someone called Opium?  :-\ Not sure, but it is clear there are a very tiny number of nuisances out there. I was not actually referring to any of you, only picking up on a concern you seem to have about someone not being picked up by moderators for breaking rules. No offence meant on my part, quite the contrary, but apologies nevertheless if offence taken.  
Also, sorry for another attack of verbal diarrhoea just now, but when you've got to go, you gotta go!  ;)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: April 04, 2013, 02:30:10 PM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

Indeed, but personally I would have hung around a little longer than 24 hours before expressing it in the way you did.

It is a bit like proclaiming you don't like beer after just one pint.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ade16

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: April 04, 2013, 02:51:18 PM
Fair enough Thal. I have updated the post to make it clear that I had picked up on a problem with a particular character and that it was not directed at any of you who have responded. However, I do object to Maul's rude and aggressive tone and frankly that put my right off. I respect your assertive and respectful response Thal. I think I have come across you already in other sections,
on Beethoven for example. See you there again no doubt. I respect your opinions which clearly arise from a very wide knowledge and experience. I feel more comfortable discussing musical issues, not personal ones, and no offence was meant.  :)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: April 04, 2013, 05:24:54 PM
I am sure you meant no offence.

There are two moderators here being Nils and Henrik who have to police this place between them, which is a huge job given the amount of posts and threads.

If you have encountered something that you feel needs looking at, your best bet is to press the "report to moderator" button which is the same as sending a PM to the moderators. I can assure you it will be looked at.

Whilst I have on occasion aired my displeasure with something publicly, it is generally not a good idea.

Warm regards

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ade16

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: April 04, 2013, 06:08:45 PM
Ok Thanks for the advice. If I have a problem I will contact a moderator directly. They seem to have a mighty big job given that there are only two of them. I now understand that.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: April 04, 2013, 07:38:45 PM
Don't be duped, ade.  This site is somebody's baby ... parents know their children.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #66 on: April 04, 2013, 10:11:55 PM
Don't be duped, ade.  This site is somebody's baby ... parents know their children.
But not everyone is a parent!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #67 on: April 04, 2013, 10:37:16 PM
This site is somebody's baby ... parents know their children.

"Business" is a better word - the site brings in a minimum $400K annually..  babies tend to be more of a liability.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #68 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:32 PM
Considering the fact that it has been nursed, bottle fed, constantly attended to and cared for since its conception, I'd say baby is the right word.  Somebody has cared and fussed *a lot* for this place - and once a baby, always a baby.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #69 on: April 04, 2013, 10:57:48 PM
Considering the fact that it has been nursed, bottle fed, constantly attended to and cared for since its conception, I'd say baby is the right word.  Somebody has cared *a lot* for this place, and once a baby, always a baby.

Fair enough, - given the infrequency and lack of personal touch in nils posts comparatively to when the site first appeared I would suspect its reasonable to suggest it has at least grown up a little though.

Edit:
Also, most people tend to their income source quite frequently without considering it their baby.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #70 on: April 04, 2013, 11:02:51 PM
Fair enough, - given the infrequency and lack of personal touch in nils posts comparatively to when the site first appeared I would suspect its reasonable to suggest it has at least grown up a little though.

Sure, I can see it's grown.  But even in my mind - and I've never been part of its plans - I still have a view of it when I first joined ... which was still pretty small.  Not saying there isn't plenty to proud of, I'm sure there is. 

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #71 on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:03 PM
Sure, I can see it's grown.  But even in my mind - and I've never been part of its plans - I still have a view of it when I first joined ... which was still pretty small.  Not saying there isn't plenty to proud of, I'm sure there is. 
I get the impression that in the early days the forum community was a big part of driving growth of gold membership (assuming that gold membership was around from the beginning) and that now that op111 has its 8600 paying customers its not so bothered about what goes on here unless its detrimental to the sites public image.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #72 on: April 04, 2013, 11:07:04 PM
I get the impression that in the early days the forum community was a big part of driving growth of gold membership (assuming that gold membership was around from the beginning) and that now that op111 has its 8600 paying customers its not so bothered about what goes on here unless its detrimental to the sites public image.

What isn't pertinent to a public image in a public place?

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #73 on: April 04, 2013, 11:12:49 PM
What isn't pertinent to a public image in a public place?
I mean that they will clean up abusive behavior and generally make sure that the forum functions so that membership is not driven away. - but that they are not that interested in making developments to the forum side of the site or actively working toward maximizing the value of the content contributed by members...   its like a "job has been done" feel so far as that side of things, and they are working only on more "business" tasks, product development and such.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #74 on: April 04, 2013, 11:15:03 PM
I mean that they will clean up abusive behavior and generally make sure that the forum functions so that membership is not driven away. - but that they are not that interested in making developments to the forum side of the site or actively working toward maximizing the value of the content contributed by members...   its like a "job has been done" feel so far as that side of things, and they are working only on more "business" tasks, product development and such.

I disagree.  It is my impression and belief that there is an acutely high awareness of exactly what goes on in the forum, exactly who does what, and precisely what that may lead to.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #75 on: April 04, 2013, 11:23:20 PM
I disagree.  It is my impression and belief that there is an acutely high awareness of exactly what goes on in the forum, exactly who does what, and precisely what that may lead to.
Maybe, but I notified nils of an error in a PS edition score 6 months ago which would've taken maybe a few minutes to fix and re-upload corrected. The score remains incorrect. It was one of many errors I've found in PS editions and is why I don't use them - I can't guarantee their accuracy.

Failing to fix simple known problems in your primary product suggests a general lack of care for the site - whether or not you watch the forum closely.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #76 on: April 05, 2013, 12:11:09 AM
Maybe Nils would like to hire me to correct scores and make them gorgeous?  ;D :-*

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #77 on: April 05, 2013, 12:14:34 AM
Maybe Nils would like to hire me to correct notes?  ;D :-*

Actually I asked for the job (along with producing new scores) a while back when I was feeling overly opportunistic. He never replied though.

Either the position isn't available or he dislikes me - either of which is possible...

or more likely, no one in their right mind would hand over access to the engraving files to someone they've never met in person.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #78 on: April 05, 2013, 01:50:44 AM
Edit:
Also, most people tend to their income source quite frequently without considering it their baby.

Sure, but this was somebody's brain child, and from who knows what kind of background and circumstances to make them think of it in the first place and need it enough to follow through with it.  There was not a public money-making mechanism in place even when I first joined in 2004 - it wasn't until ... some years after it was already in motion before that was established.  Somebody built this from an original idea (that from the place and time of thinking of it may or may not have been successful) and then through every stage up to its current success.  This place has been uncommonly attended to and has had uncommonly high quality of knowledgeable individuals, including uncommonly good teachers, actively participating.  This is not a case where somebody just managed to work their way into something and checks in each day to do a job ... this is somebody's baby.

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #79 on: April 05, 2013, 02:32:29 AM
Maybe Nils would like to hire me to correct scores and make them gorgeous?

Why would he want to even look at you after you lied and attempted to cheat your way to victory in AJ's piano competition.

Have you apologized yet to all involved?

Have you apologized to Nils?

Yet here you are pretending nothing ever happened.

You are a person of low character

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #80 on: April 05, 2013, 02:43:08 AM

Sure, but this was somebody's brain child, and from who knows what kind of background and circumstances to make them think of it in the first place..

Nils is the owner/founder. His real name is Johan Sandback and he is a highly competent pianist and teacher.

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #81 on: April 05, 2013, 09:58:12 AM
Why would he want to even look at you after you lied and attempted to cheat your way to victory in AJ's piano competition.

Religion is the true root cause of this behavior, I'm sure. She has no one to apologize to but her "god"; everyone else is a secondary, unimportant factor that she can wave off. The plague of the mind affects us on a daily basis more than we realize, and it must be destroyed.

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #82 on: April 07, 2013, 06:47:59 PM

Religion is the true root cause of this behavior, I'm sure. She has no one to apologize to but her "god"; everyone else is a secondary, unimportant factor that she can wave off. The plague of the mind affects us on a daily basis more than we realize, and it must be destroyed.

Are you both aware that your underwears are showing, or, do you instead believe that you are wearing some sort of beautiful clothing?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #83 on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:46 PM
Now i get it!  m1469's schizophrenic!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #84 on: April 07, 2013, 08:46:21 PM
Poor birba fell down.  Perhaps you'll find your way up :).

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #85 on: April 07, 2013, 10:28:02 PM
This place makes $400,000 a year?  Is that true?  Where did that number come from?

If Nils wants mistakes, he could just put a price on each mistake.  No need to hire anyone or pay them a lot.  Just pay for results that way.  Haha.  Devious method.  Better yet, give them a free year's membership per typo.  No money even involved that way.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #86 on: April 07, 2013, 11:00:03 PM
This place makes $400,000 a year?  Is that true?  Where did that number come from?

Well obviously I can't be 100% certain, there is no public financial information on op 111.

That said, a search for gold members on piano street returns approximately 8500 users, based on my count of 100 per page and 86 pages of search results.

Last time I checked the minimum cost of gold membership was an annual fee of $47.

8500 x 47 = 399,500..  seems like a reasonable assessment of a minimum turnover.

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #87 on: April 07, 2013, 11:03:34 PM
Are you both aware that your underwears are showing, or, do you instead believe that you are wearing some sort of beautiful clothing?

I'm aware that you are dismissing the truth by criticizing the messengers of it with a half-baked metaphor.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #88 on: April 08, 2013, 01:56:02 AM
I'm aware that you are dismissing the truth by criticizing the messengers of it with a half-baked metaphor.

Wrong.  :)

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #89 on: April 08, 2013, 02:05:09 AM
Yes, wrong. It must be extremely easy to dismiss anything after you've decided to purge your mind of logic. Which is why religion is so dangerous, and you are so dense. Remember, what I've just said is wrong, so there is no offense given.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #90 on: April 08, 2013, 02:14:26 AM
Yes, wrong. It must be extremely easy to dismiss anything after you've decided to purge your mind of logic. Which is why religion is so dangerous, and you are so dense. Remember, what I've just said is wrong, so there is no offense given.

You can be as smart and as riddley as you'd like, it doesn't mean you think for me and know who I am.  You were wrong about me.  Offense is given or not in your own motives, whether I take it or not.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #91 on: April 08, 2013, 03:47:22 AM
Poor birba fell down.  Perhaps you'll find your way up :).
evidently this post was not meant for me, as (as usual) your metaphorical comment fell way short of my  rudimentary comprehension.  :)

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #92 on: April 08, 2013, 03:51:05 AM
You can be as smart and as riddley as you'd like, it doesn't mean you think for me and know who I am.  You were wrong about me.  Offense is given or not in your own motives, whether I take it or not.

You saying I'm wrong about you does not make me wrong about you. Perhaps you are just blind to your own actions. It's a common trait among religious people. :-*

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #93 on: April 08, 2013, 03:58:17 AM
evidently this post was not meant for me, as (as usual) your metaphorical comment fell way short of my  rudimentary comprehension.  :)

So, your only ability to communicate with me is by attempting to insult me or to keep falling back on one comment I made sometime ago?  

You saying I'm wrong about you does not make me wrong about you. Perhaps you are just blind to your own actions. It's a common trait among religious people. :-*

And, yours is to try to confuse me and make me somehow second guess myself because somebody on a forum is pretending to be able to logically deduce that he somehow knows me better than I know myself?  Or, that you would even care to know anything about me?

What is anybody's point here, exactly?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #94 on: April 08, 2013, 03:59:46 AM
Religious?!  I guess that depends on what your conception of religion is.  I suppose satanic rites could be included in the overall category...

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #95 on: April 08, 2013, 04:10:22 AM
I wonder why certain members have to use more than one name to post their thoughts.  Maybe they have more than two.  Or three...

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #96 on: April 08, 2013, 04:13:35 AM
Maybe they have more than two.  Or three...

My guess is that you actually know the answer.  And I haven't posted or even logged in as K in a long time.  "Somebody"  ;) recently messaged that inbox and so I logged in and answered.  So I have an account under my actual name and then an alias that I've had for longer than my actual name account - big whoop.  Either case, at least I am actually myself here.  I could have plenty of reason to wonder why people feel the need to post through multiple accounts ... but, what's the point in my wondering that?  Of course, none of that is really news to you, is it birba.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #97 on: April 08, 2013, 04:19:15 AM
If what you're saying is true  ;) yes.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #98 on: April 08, 2013, 04:22:35 AM
I agree  8).

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #99 on: April 08, 2013, 04:29:28 AM
Huh?  Oh well...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert