Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Does anyone remember the white gloved pianist member?  (Read 3944 times)

Offline lufia

• PS Silver Member
Does anyone remember the white gloved pianist member?
on: February 15, 2013, 08:18:54 PM
Before these forums was named pianostreet it was called something else... i forgot.. but there was this one thread that was extremely popular and i would love to just check up on this white gloved pianist website to see how he is going, was wondering if anyone remembers him?   :o

The  member would advertise his website and brag about how grand and excellent this certain pianist is ( who was obviously the member himself, he even used the pianists name as his forum account ) .

He wore white gloves (claiming that a true pianist would safeguard his fingers) and dressed like a noble.  When he played chopin and other composers... he would often add grace notes, glissandoes, broken chords and other decorations into the piece for his video performances and proclaim how beautiful it is.

When he asked what others thought about this grand white gloved pianists, members here would criticize and mock him. He would get so deeply offended that he stay up all night everyday to defend his honor...fighting off every member of the forum. When others asked him if the reason why he was so deeply insulted was because he IS the pianist, there would be large flame wars where he would brilliantly solo fight every member of the forum  :o

The thread was very popular ! If anyone does remember his name or website please post it up, really eager to see how his life has turned out !
musicality

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Does anyone remember the white gloved pianist member?
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 05:26:07 AM
Sorry i missed him.  Sounds almost as wierd as that guy who only played chopin and rambled on about his supposed homosexuality.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:13:25 PM
Tim?  I kind of remember that guy.  Vaguely remember something about gloves with someone else.

It used to be Piano Forum.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline nocturnetr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:07:48 PM
https://www.t3licensing.com/video/clip/331525_005.do

Is that the one you were talking about. It is really interesting. Video doesn't have any sound, don't know if it is just me. I will search about him.

Offline lufia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 05:22:08 AM
Sorry guys, my memory is really hazy as well, i only clearly remember his playings of Chopin very well since he made much  changes to the pieces that people chastised him for it. During that time he posted all his videoes on his website.

@nocturne, it could be, shame we can't see his face or sound.

AH  :o i just came across this video  :o

Angeloi villani
!!! at his London debut piano recital with his signature gloves, does this guy ring a bell? could it be ours :o :o :o  I think it might just be him, can anyone confirm ? This is the first time ive seen him playing in public.

musicality

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07:05 AM
Here's more:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbINmEM3woGLA11rQp296A/videos

No video but I wonder if he's wearing gloves...he's playing one of my favorite Franck pieces and it sounds powerless...

But at least his Youtube page directed me to this video performance by Hough that I haven't seen before  :)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:39:38 AM
I wonder why he wears the gloves.  He could at least wear the surgical ones.  I would think you would feel closer to the keys.  I have to say, though, he's a very fine pianist.  At least what i heard.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:53:20 AM
He's quite good!

Offline lufia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:28:10 PM
ill agree his a fine pianist, seems he caved in and shifted to pleasing the critics and the wider audience now ( though i did like his old self as well )   :)
musicality

Offline ervinny

Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 05:55:39 PM
There is a web site dedicated to Angelo Villani now, and you can listen to his recordings and interviews. He is an excellent pianist with his own unique style (listen to his Tristan and Isolde). He explains why he puts gloves in one of interview sessions. It is due to his injury on the right hand.
https://fugue.us/Villani.html

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 11:08:15 PM
Yeah, that's the guy who had a hideously deformed hand so he always wore a glove over it, right?  Lived under the opera house?  I remember that.  Last I knew he moved to New York and became a clown. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert