Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: what's the most ridiculous (serious) post you have seen here?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Some time ago I read a post by someone who claimed to have started playing at age 18 and now 1 year later had mastered the HR2 and Rhapsody in Blue...

as far as I could tell he seemed serious... although he never posted a vid in spite of numerous requests.

I also read a post at another music site where someone was defining "counterpoint"  to mean--"contrary to the point of the song."

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Re: what's the most ridiculous (serious) post you have seen here?
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:24:16 PM
I saw posts of people seriously fabricating backstories of themselves and posting other people's performances as their own in Audition Room. I thought that was humorous.

Offline cwjalex

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:32:21 AM
Some time ago I read a post by someone who claimed to have started playing at age 18 and now 1 year later had mastered the HR2 and Rhapsody in Blue...

as far as I could tell he seemed serious... although he never posted a vid in spite of numerous requests.

they said they had "mastered" it?  i think it's believable that it can be played decently in a year but saying you have mastered it is a bold claim.  if you are going to make claims that are extreme like that you should be prepared to prove it in a video. 

i have been playing for a little over a year and have talked about playing advanced pieces.  If someone called me out on it then I would feel obligated to produce a video or else people would think i am a liar.  i would never go as far as to say that i have mastered anything though, that's just arrogant (and most likely not true)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:33:12 AM
"I was very young when I was born."   That cracked me up.  Still does. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:22:59 AM
I would state that the most serious in form and content albeit not always at the same level, mainly due to the urgent need to respond to wit and pun of Thalbergmad in conversational English, I would suggest that at least in form and sometimes in substance all posts of Ahinton would qualify as most serious posts.

Therefore I request your opinion on the matter of my imitation / study of  "Ahinton speak" in order to improve my seriousness although if stated that one Ahinton will suffise, I am prepared to rest my case.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:49:04 AM
Therefore I request your opinion on the matter of my imitation / study of  "Ahinton speak" in order to improve my seriousness although if stated that one Ahinton will suffise, I am prepared to rest my case.

Methinks Alistair wouldn't have misspelt "suffice".
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:07:02 AM
Methinks Alistair wouldn't have misspelt "suffice".
I agree completely.  Luckily there remain some differences in our world to distinguish the real from the fake...

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 07:06:07 AM
seriously  8)  ridiculous

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 03:41:20 PM
I
As with most of your posts, it is obvious you believe most people on this forum are most interested in your personal thoughts and opinions, so it's no surprise (to my mind and doubtless others who have realized your propensities) your post has begun with the word "I."

would
The modal verb "would" seems to indicate your lack on confidence in stating your view, as you should be aware (perhaps you were on a debate team, given how much you like to argue?) You may have noticed that I've decided to deconstruct your argument in small pieces - perhaps smaller than what seems reasonable, but I assure you it's for your own benefit.

state
You over in the states never seem to regard...

this is hard

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:11:47 AM
As with most of your posts, it is obvious you believe most people on this forum are most interested in your personal thoughts and opinions, so it's no surprise (to my mind and doubtless others who have realized your propensities) your post has begun with the word "I."
The modal verb "would" seems to indicate your lack on confidence in stating your view, as you should be aware (perhaps you were on a debate team, given how much you like to argue?) You may have noticed that I've decided to deconstruct your argument in small pieces - perhaps smaller than what seems reasonable, but I assure you it's for your own benefit.
You over in the states never seem to regard...

this is hard

I

was imitating a well known member of this community. Just for fun actually not for argument.

I

like his posts a lot actually.

I

am just stating my opinion just like you do only you don't start with I. Maybe that's because you might (expression of doubt) be a native speaker and I am not.

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:38:18 AM
Dear Liszt1022,

before you waste more time and energy by replying to the above post let me point out that it is quite understandable that not all of the more or less hidden humo(u)r, irony and sarcasm concealed in a post do not reach all the readers and that for some it is even completely beyond them even in a thread called "what's the most ridiculous etc"...

However to confuse this with prepostrous egotism of the poster is quite another matter.

I value highly your opinions with regard to piano and music but I'm afraid to say I couldn't care less about your personal opinion about me, especially taking into account the the tone and demeanor of your 1st(!) post addressed to me:

(to my mind and doubtless others who have realized your propensities)
- perhaps smaller than what seems reasonable, 
The modal verb "would" seems to indicate your lack on confidence

this is hard
That's quite OK. I'm always willing to discuss in a civilized manner.

I assure you it's for your own benefit

One piece of advice: the best way to treat posters and posts you don't like is to ignore them.

I assure you this advice is for your own benefit too.  ;)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 10:38:36 AM
this is hard

Nah. Either you're just plain lazy or you didn't think ahead (or both).  :P
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 03:00:01 PM
well shoot I'm buried too far in satire to be sure, so I gotta say I don't actually believe any of the things I posted there, was just trying to be windbaggy and argumentative like -some- people. But windbaggy's not my style and it didn't come off right.

we cool stringoverstrung

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 04:25:34 PM
well shoot I'm buried too far in satire to be sure, so I gotta say I don't actually believe any of the things I posted there, was just trying to be windbaggy and argumentative like -some- people. But windbaggy's not my style and it didn't come off right.

we cool stringoverstrung
LOL OK I GET IT NOW

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 06:08:59 PM
I would state that the most serious in form and content albeit not always at the same level, mainly due to the urgent need to respond to wit and pun of Thalbergmad in conversational English, I would suggest that at least in form and sometimes in substance all posts of Ahinton would qualify as most serious posts.
That's a pity; I try to be serious when being serious and less so when I don't intend to be so.

Therefore I request your opinion on the matter of my imitation / study of  "Ahinton speak" in order to improve my seriousness although if stated that one Ahinton will suffise, I am prepared to rest my case.
If you believe that it might do so, I can only respond by quoting the inimitable and late and much lamented English actor Ian Richardson who used often to say in his capacity as UK Prime Minister which he played in Michael Dobbs' House of Cards, "you might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment"; the reasons for that include but ae no necessarily limited to the following. Firstly, I assume "Ahinton speak" (whatever that may or may not be) to involve speech and, as I've never spoken to anyone when posting on this forum, I have not indulged in it. Secondly, I am unaware in any case that there is any such thing as "Ahinton speak" and yet I of all people ought to know if there is. Thirdly, I'm perfectly satisfied to make contributions here in English.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 06:38:08 PM
Well done, that is one of the best Ahinton Speak posts I have seen.

Very good.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 02:53:02 AM
The TB thread was pretty ridiculous.

And Tim.  Haha....

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 03:42:10 AM
Well done, that is one of the best Ahinton Speak posts I have seen.

Very good.
Wary as I am (and surely for good reason) of taking that as a compliment, is the point that you're making here that this "Ahinton speak" and plain English are synonymous? Just curious (albeit not particularly so)...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 03:44:43 AM
This is my favorite thread.
I'm hungry

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 09:24:39 AM

we cool stringoverstrung

Hey man no problem.

I must admit I'm pretty embarrassed about the results of my effort to imitate Ahinton speak, especially after Mr. Hinton himself showed in this very thread how it is supposed to be done. Luckily  a nice side effect is that like a forte comes out really nicely after a quiet pianissimo in a well played piece, Thalbergmad has enjoyed the re-exposition with great pleasure of the real thing by the master himself!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 11:51:20 PM
It's kind of like verbal ornaments.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 07:16:24 PM
could I too, become a master of Ahinton speak?   is there a tutorial for those of us not schooled in proper technique? 

I only just learned of Ahintonspeak and I am an older beginner--would it be possible for me to become fluent in spite of the fact that I am choosing to begin at a far older age than is normal? how long would it take me to learn?  If I practice every day for six hours would I learn at a more rapid pace?  What is the hardest thing about Ahintonspeak? 

please help.  :P

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 07:27:19 PM
I only just learned of Ahintonspeak and I am an older beginner--would it be possible for me to become fluent in spite of the fact that I am choosing to begin at a far older age than is normal?

As with piano, it is easier if you start younger.

You need longer words, copious amounts of brackets and some Latin chucked in for good measure.

In addition mentioning Sorabji every 20 words will assist.

Good luck.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 07:59:49 PM
-
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 08:53:29 PM

What is the hardest thing about Ahintonspeak?  

Sightreading it

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 09:05:02 PM
could I too, become a master of Ahinton speak?   is there a tutorial for those of us not schooled in proper technique? 

I only just learned of Ahintonspeak and I am an older beginner--would it be possible for me to become fluent in spite of the fact that I am choosing to begin at a far older age than is normal? how long would it take me to learn?  If I practice every day for six hours would I learn at a more rapid pace?  What is the hardest thing about Ahintonspeak? 

please help.  :P

I'm afraid it's not something that can be taught.  Some people have it, and then... Well, then there's you.   ;D  Most people start at a very young age.  At this point in your life, it's a little late.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 09:33:25 PM
I must admit I'm pretty embarrassed about the results of my effort to imitate Ahinton speak, especially after Mr. Hinton himself showed in this very thread how it is supposed to be done.
Why so? I have no idea how to do this myself and, as such, I just stick to English (OK, British English rather than American ditto, but that's only because it's what I know better)...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 09:37:44 PM
could I too, become a master of Ahinton speak?   is there a tutorial for those of us not schooled in proper technique?
Not as far as I am aware (not that I am aware of everything, of course). All that I can say is that I believe it to be quite impossible to become a master of something that does not exist.

I only just learned of Ahintonspeak
Then you have learned something of which I have no knowledge or understanding.

and I am an older beginner
"Older" than what and a "beginner" in what?

would it be possible for me to become fluent in spite of the fact that I am choosing to begin at a far older age than is normal? how long would it take me to learn?  If I practice every day for six hours would I learn at a more rapid pace?  What is the hardest thing about Ahintonspeak?
As I mentioned earlier, I have no advice to give about things that don't exist so, in answer to your question, I have no idea whatsoever.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 09:41:40 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56699.msg611857#msg611857 date=1417031989
I don't know exactly what "Ahinton speak" is
As I have already indicated, you are not alone in this.

Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56699.msg611857#msg611857 date=1417031989
but I find that there is music in what Mr. Hinton posts. I suggest looking for that first in all of his posts. He gives me personally the impression that he choses his words very carefully, never without having heard the sound and the rhythm first of what he intends to write. He is actually one of my favorite posters on this forum. There is also a kind of humo(u)r in there that may not be easy to follow without preliminary training. Just saying. :)
You are very kind indeed. I do try to express myself as best I can at all times, although perhaps I am better at doing this in music than in words so, if anything that I have posted confuses anyone (which I most fervently hope is not the case), I offer my unreserved apologies.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 09:50:07 PM
As I have already indicated, you are not alone in this.
You are very kind indeed. I do try to express myself as best I can at all times, although perhaps I am
better at doing this in music than in words so, if anything that I have posted confuses anyone (which I
most fervently hope is not the case), I offer my unreserved apologies.

Best,

Alistair

Some sort of cryptic message thing going on here...

Hope what's not the case?  Sounds a bit threatening.  Apologize for what?  What's been done?

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 09:50:39 PM
As with piano, it is easier if you start younger.
Well, there's not a hope for me there, then, since I did not start to study music at all until I was almost 12 years of age and I've never had a hope in Hell's chance of making it as a pianist (not that I ever expected to, mind)...

Wo ist Thalbergspräche? Does one need to be familiar with such obscure and esoteric terms as "bollox" to begin to understand it, by chance?

Speaing of bollox, incidentally, during the rehearsals for the recording of my string quintet, the cellist was at one point struggling (or so he claimed) to perfect a particular passage in it when practising and his quite unnecessary frustration finally got the better of him and he exclaimed "bollox" whereupon, without a second's hesitation, the viola player asked "is that a technical term?"

I shall never forget that as long as I live...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 09:51:59 PM

Some sort of cryptic message thing going on here...

Hope what's not the case?  Sounds a bit threatening.  Apologize for what?  What's been done?
Just read it again, Bob - s l o w e r; there's really no problem here.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 10:04:40 PM

Vini, vidi, vici

tempus fugit

I am fluent in these Latin words...  are they hard?  where exactly do they fit in to ahintonspeak--  I can't afford a teacher... do you think I can learn by watching video's on youtube?

forgive me Alistair -- I mean no disrespect neither to you nor to your vernacular... 

I was very old when I was born. ;D

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 10:07:54 PM
Now if you take every other letter in that...
Just it Bob.  There's no here.  

Hm....

And the k is missing in speak.  Possibly intentional.... But maybe that's just a trick to draw our attention to that and away from something else....

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 08:19:56 PM
Most people start at a very young age.  At this point in your life, it's a little late.

A little late is not as bad as really late!

I'm hungry

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 12:42:10 PM
I shall never forget that as long as I live...

Best,

Alistair

Alistair
Seems like you also will not forget to sign your name as you did it twice in this instance.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 04:02:42 PM
Seems like you also will not forget to sign your name as you did it twice in this instance.
Not sure how that occurred but I can assure you that it had nothing to do with remembering or forgetting.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 02:17:44 AM
Not sure how that occured but I can assure you that it had nothing to do with remembering or forgetting.

Best,

Alistair
It seems that in this quoted example above there is a lack of care in proofreading (or indeed a forgetfulness), since "occured" will be found to be most accurately spelled "occurred".  Nevertheless I am sure the majority of people can cope with this spelling error, I being one of these fortunate individuals thus your forgetfulness to proofread does not necessarily tend to cause confusion especially in my case which is most important as I am responding to it.

Feeling "not sure" might allow some chance that you did forget something in this instance. Perhaps the act of "forgetting to proof read before posting" could be a candidate for forgetfulness or lack of remembering to participate in such activity?
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: November 29, 2014, 08:42:01 AM
It seems that in this quoted example above there is a lack of care in proofreading (or indeed a forgetfulness), since "occured" will be found to be most accurately spelled "occurred".
A mere typo - nothing more, nothing less.

Nevertheless I am sure the majority of people can cope with this spelling error
Well, I certainly can - by correcting it.

I being one of these fortunate individuals thus your forgetfulness to proofread does not necessarily tend to cause confusion especially in my case which is most important as I am responding to it.
Shouldn't there be commas after "confusion" and "case" - and especially following "individuals"?

Feeling "not sure" might allow some chance that you did forget something in this instance. Perhaps the act of "forgetting to proof read before posting" could be a candidate for forgetfulness or lack of remembering to participate in such activity?
If you say so, perhaps; my best hope, perhaps, is that you have not lost yourself in idle wondering about such matters...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: November 29, 2014, 10:20:00 AM
Well, I certainly can - by correcting it.

You're lucky. My therapy starts Monday.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: November 30, 2014, 12:20:54 AM
The most ridiculous post ever is that which lies inside you.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 05:53:26 PM
You're lucky. My therapy starts Monday.
Well, it's now Monday (well, by this time, it'll be Tuesday where you are, of course), so I hope that your first session went well; I have to admit, however, that I'd no previous idea that one could seek therapy for this but I suppose that obsessive compulsive typo disorder might be a recognised and treatable condition in some places...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 05:55:30 PM
Vini, vidi, vici
Veni, actually  although I wouln't object to a glass or two of some fine wine or other if you're buying!

Somehow "I imbibed, I saw, I conquered" just doesn't have quite the same ring about it...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 05:56:16 PM
The most ridiculous post ever is that which lies inside you.
But isn't a post only a post once it's been posted?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 07:30:13 PM
Veni, actually  although I wouln't object to a glass or two of some fine wine or other if you're buying!

Somehow "I imbibed, I saw, I conquered" just doesn't have quite the same ring about it...

Best,

Alistair

yes---I drank wine I saw and I conquered :)  apologies to Julius C ...guess I am not as fluent in Latin as I believed myself to be... 

Best,

dcstudio  ;D

theholygideons

Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:24 PM
yes---I drank wine I saw and I conquered :)  apologies to Julius C ...guess I am not as fluent in Latin as I believed myself to be... 

Best,

dcstudio  ;D

Non solum facis claudex ipsius, et etiam occassio vocare ahinton perfututus tua.

Best regards,
    HIDGEONS

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 10:39:03 PM

Bibi, vidi, vici.

Has a ring to it, IMO.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: December 07, 2014, 05:49:05 PM
This one.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=25818.msg292858#msg292858
Erection protection.   ::)

The problem of being in a situation where you're playing the piano and you get an erection.   ::)

Pianistimo suggested hitting it with a hammer.   ;D

I was clicking back to see how many posts m1469 had deleted.  She's back to pg 84 now. Page 83 has that. 

Offline cwjalex

Reply #49 on: December 07, 2014, 05:53:37 PM
This one.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=25818.msg292858#msg292858
Erection protection.   ::)

The problem of being in a situation where you're playing the piano and you get an erection.   ::)

Pianistimo suggested hitting it with a hammer.   ;D

I was clicking back to see how many posts m1469 had deleted.  She's back to pg 84 now. Page 83 has that. 

that thread is so funny loL.  btw, why didm1469delete all her posts?  i tried to read that "whing and then theres whining" thread but it was long and i got the feeling a lot of it had to do with a history that i didn't understand
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert