Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Arietta Op. 12 No. 1 by Edvard Grieg  (Read 1397 times)

Offline michael_sayers

VIDEO: Arietta Op. 12 No. 1 by Edvard Grieg
on: March 30, 2015, 05:50:17 AM
This was played on the slow side and with the phrasing/fermatas at the end fully applied.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Arietta Op. 12 No. 1 by Edvard Grieg
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:54:28 AM
I feel like quoting Mr. Faulty here... Some pieces are just not meant to be played as slowly as possible...gets painful to listen really.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:05:10 AM
I feel like quoting Mr. Faulty here... Some pieces are just not meant to be played as slowly as possible...gets painful to listen really.
Yet the composition has such a nostalgic longing, exquisite to the point of pain . . . surely not something to make light of with a rapido tempo?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:03:32 AM
Yet the composition has such a nostalgic longing, exquisite to the point of pain . . . surely not something to make light of with a rapido tempo?

I don't usually mind slower tempos, but the problem here is that there's just not enough substance for such slow tempo, it feels dragging and one feels like begging for the next note to come.

Luckily YT offered me the Gilels version next, that made me feel better.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:12:44 PM
I don't usually mind slower tempos, but the problem here is that there's just not enough substance for such slow tempo, it feels dragging and one feels like begging for the next note to come.

Luckily YT offered me the Gilels version next, that made me feel better.
Hi Outin,

Thanks for the response.  I've thought about it and I do think you are right that the tempo here is too slow.  It needed some thinking and listening on my part, and I get what you are saying.  It is a very fine piece of music, just maybe not a quasi-largo one ;).  I think the playing needs also more fluidity and "flow" . . . it seems stagnant in some ways here in this recording, and not only to do specifically with the overall tempo.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert