Piano Forum

Topic: (German, c.1980's) Feurich Pianos  (Read 2936 times)

Offline onesurfer1

(German, c.1980's) Feurich Pianos
on: October 03, 2015, 05:22:35 PM
hello,

i'm shopping around for a grand piano (6'-6'4").  thought i wanted a baldwin...now i'm open to exploring other options.

anyone familiar with the feurich made in germany (langlau) (model 190 specifically)???  were the ones from the 1980's any good???  if i stretch my budget i could afford one.  i think this would be the best piano i could afford compared to estonia, baldwin L and kawai GS and early RX series...don't you think?

there's a couple for sale in the USA.  one i'll have to fly to and the other is 400 miles from me.  never played one, never heard one.

if they're comparable to Steinway or new M&H, i would be open to sending a tech to check it out and just buying it sight unseen.

any thoughts??

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: (German, c.1980's) Feurich Pianos
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:39:38 PM
According to this link the period from 1970-1991 was a very big high point for them at least in terms of success. Give it a read.  https://www.feurich.com/history/
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline dogperson

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 05:56:29 PM
I can't imagine buying a piano, no matter the price, based on a tech recommendation.....every piano will have a different tone, different action and touch.  What I might love would not even appeal to you and vice versa.  I am not dismissing a tech evaluation , because I believe that is essential in buying a used piano, but I am surprised you don't feel like you need to play it, as well.  IMHO

Offline onesurfer1

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 06:52:44 PM
i looked up the web site.  thanks!

and regarding dogperson's concern of buying without trying it out for myself, well, he's right.  i really should try it out in addition to a tech's inspection!!  I'm just tired of looking around for a used  grand.  it would be so much easier i had no budget restraints and i could just walk in a piano store and buy a new top tier brand and be done!

i wonder if this piano is worth traveling all that way (400miles) to check out...

Offline dogperson

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 08:47:35 PM
I am assuming you are familiar with Paul Barton?  He plays the Feurich, and has tons of YouTube videos  -- I would personally make the trip . 

Offline onesurfer1

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:50:24 AM
I am assuming you are familiar with Paul Barton?  He plays the Feurich, and has tons of YouTube videos  -- I would personally make the trip . 

No offense, but:
I have seen and heard his videos but the pianos he plays are pianos made by 2 guys that bought the Feurich name and are making pianos out of China and then they stick a "Feurich" sticker on the fallboard.  The designs are "inspired" by the original German Pianos that were once designed by the real Feurich Family.  These Chinese pianos are Chinese pianos...i don't care if their "office" is in Vienna or Zimbabwe...at the end of the day, these Feurich's are made in China (Hailun).  They are as much a Feurich piano as the new Baldwin pianos are American.  Just like Boston pianos are Japanese (manufactured by Kawai) and are nice pianos, but are not equal to German/American Steinway Pianos either.

That's not to say that they are not great pianos...just not the authentic designs as the 'real' German Feurichs or American Artist Grand Baldwins. 

Anyone knows what the mid 80's Feurich's sound like?  Specifically the 190???  Were they top tier?  Because if they are top tier like C. Bechstein is...then it would be worth it to me to spend $500 in traveling expenses to check it out!

...Right????
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert