Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Not blurring notes- need urgent help  (Read 2017 times)

Offline mozartnoob

Not blurring notes- need urgent help
on: February 24, 2016, 09:24:04 PM
Only 2 weeks till auditions for a talent show, prize 1000$. Buy i have been very busy with exam prepaerations. So my mozart sonata 12 has taken a backseat. I have been reviving it and the 2nd and 3rd movements are perfect. However, part of the first movement is terroble and blurry- the episodr. I have tried everything- playibg slowly, changing fingering etc, but it always is blurred and the notes mash up into one uneven blob of ugly sound that sounds nothing like the recordings i hear. Any help appreciated- note it is sonata 12 f major k332 by mozart bars 31-36- before i was playing it smoothly at tempo and even faster, but after exam prep it has gone backwards

Offline nickc

• PS Silver Member
Re: Not blurring notes- need urgent help
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:31:39 PM
How is your relaxation? If you are tense or nervous, it will have a hug impact on your sound.

Offline distantfieldrelative

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:43:08 PM
How much pedal are you using?
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:52:01 PM
Beautiful sonata you picked:-) I would love to play this one myself.
For me, when I start blurring notes slow practice helps. I practice slow, forte and pesante.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline jimroof

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 03:34:29 PM
I have never really heard the term 'blurring' notes.  I think we need to know exactly what that sounds like to be of assistance.

If blurring means too much pedal then the fix is obvious...

If blurring means rhythmic inconsistency (probably at least a component, even if it is #3...) then slow practice is critical.

But, blurring might ALSO be the result of uneven passage work.  This could include inconsistent volume per each note (heavy 1-3 and weak 4-5) OR, something a little more subtle, uneven RELEASE.  If your 4th finger is not getting off of its note in the same manner as the rest of your fingers then a good ear will hear that and it will sound like those notes are bleeding into the lines.

Regardless, the answer is almost always going to be slow practice - AIDED by a proper diagnosis.  Slow work is a waste of time IF you are making the same mistake SLOWLY as you made up to tempo.  The release issue MIGHT sound better at a slow tempo simply due to the natural decay of the note. 

So, I would suggest slow practice with attention to the attack, volume AND RELEASE.
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline benjdod

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 03:36:42 AM
I've played this one for a competition as well and it's a fun one.  The thing that I noticed is that my arm weight was uniform and produced a completely flat tone.  I'd suggest about the same as kawai_cs: slow slowly and forte.  Also (if you're blurring the way I think you are by using overly relaxed releases), I'd try to incorporate an earlier release into your technique to keep your articulation a little clearer.  You can also try to add more shape to the line; maybe a crescendo to the top note of each one. 

TL;DR: Slow practice, earlier releases.  Add some shape if you have time or want too.

Offline piulento

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 10:58:21 AM
This is a pretty tricky passage to play properly.
First of all, as already suggested, practice is slowly, with no pedal, and make sure every note is well heard. After that, start puting more emphasis on the "main notes". For instance, in the C minor part, the main notes are the first C, the first E flat, and the first high G (I hope you understand what notes I'm talking about). In each part of this passage you play, when the main notes arrive, put a bit more emphasis on them. Use them to "anchor" the beat so it doesn't sound that mashed up. Also, make sure you emphasize the first note in the left hand in each bar.
Good luck.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert