Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: The Mazurka Prize in the 17th international Chopin Competition  (Read 2120 times)

Offline chopinawesome

I have noticed in most of the past 2 competitions the winner of this prize plays the OP.56 set(Rafal Blechacz, Daniil Trifonov, and Kate Liu). Is this a coincidence or does the jury favor the Op.56 set?
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline piulento

I noticed that too...
The reason for this (I'm guessing) is that this is such a mature and complex set of mazurkas, that if a pianist can really pull off all three, he really is something special. I've listened to dozens of pianists play this set, but finding a pianist that can play them really well (especially no. 3) is truely a rare occasion. There is also so so much room for imagination in this set, that it really gives a pianist the proper stage to show his wide range of musical expressions.
What do you think?

Offline ignaceii

• PS Silver Member
Having a wide range of musical expression based on a Mazurka set.
Ahhhhh... What else ?
A mazurka is a mazurka. If you have the rhythm and the rubato in your hands you do well in Chopin. I say in Chopin... Is this a WIDE musical expression.
Go and listen to the other blockbuster competitions... They create the wide musical artist.

Offline chopinawesome

I noticed that too...
The reason for this (I'm guessing) is that this is such a mature and complex set of mazurkas, that if a pianist can really pull off all three, he really is something special. I've listened to dozens of pianists play this set, but finding a pianist that can play them really well (especially no. 3) is truely a rare occasion. There is also so so much room for imagination in this set, that it really gives a pianist the proper stage to show his wide range of musical expressions.
What do you think?

This set of mazurkas might be the most difficult set of mazurkas, followed by Op.50 and 59. The B Major one is sort of not like a mazurka(except the piu mosso section), so it does leave lots of room for imagination. The C Major is one of my favorite mazurkas. To create the right crispy tone for the a minor scale section and the dreamy feeling for the C Major Passage section, it could be difficult. the c minor one is very expressive.  Listen to Kate Liu describe this set:https://video.nhptv.org/video/2365602493/
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline piulento

Listen to Kate Liu describe this set:https://video.nhptv.org/video/2365602493/

I can't decide what impresses me more - how well she plays or how profoundly she understands Chopin's music.
She was definitely one of my favorites in the competition - partially because of how she played this incredible set.

Offline chopinawesome

I agree. Op.56 is not popular. In fact, almost all the mazurkas are not popular. Though some people love those big pieces(sonatas,scherzi,etc.), I love his smaller works, such as his mazurkas,preludes, and etudes(I still like some of his big works). Also, people underestimate how difficult a mazurka or prelude can be. For me, Mazurka OP.56 no.1 and PReludes Nos.3 and 14 are as hard as Op.1 or even  harder. It is a pleasure Kate Liu chose to perform the Op.56 set of mazurkas.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline chopinawesome

Oh, and the jury also favors the OP.33 set. Ka LIng Colleen Li could have won the mazurka prize in 2005 but since I guess Blechacz played the Op.56 set almost perfectly, he won.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline ignaceii

• PS Silver Member
Chopin is not a competition. It is a salon of Chopin players.
Anyone else, non-Chopin players not invited.
The mazurka price !. Goodness me.

Go to the Liszt competition then. Fireworks guaranteed.

Still however not a Moscow, Leeds, Queen Elisabeth or von Cliburn.
These are the grand slams.

Chopin is a tier 1 or 2 ...in tennis terms.
Label managers never get it. Too commercial

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Chopin is not a competition. It is a salon of Chopin players.
Anyone else, non-Chopin players not invited.
The mazurka price !. Goodness me.

Go to the Liszt competition then. Fireworks guaranteed.

Still however not a Moscow, Leeds, Queen Elisabeth or von Cliburn.
These are the grand slams.

Chopin is a tier 1 or 2 ...in tennis terms.
Label managers never get it. Too commercial

WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT THE F*CK UP
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert