Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Modernizing our World  (Read 1914 times)

Offline opus43

Modernizing our World
on: April 13, 2016, 02:40:51 AM
Okay, guys,

Wouldn't it be nice if we could modernize some parts of the worlds? Maybe yes, maybe no. But it would be awesome to witness another Age of Rapid Innovation. (We already are in one, maybe, but right now the innovation is mostly occurring in entertainment, which is kind of a low type of innovation  :P)

How bout we piano-lovers share ideas about innovation? I figured pianists would have different tastes than non-pianists, maybe? Let's see! What architecture, conservation, etc. ideas have we here?
Active since 1706!

Offline opus43

Re: Modernizing our World
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 02:53:22 AM

This is the Lotus Temple in India. It is freaking amazing, but the interiors are not as elegant.

The McLaren Technology Center in Surrey.

Check some videos out of this flying. It is beautiful. Imagine this soaring in our skies someday!

The Steinway Fibonacci.

The auto industry would hate it, but it would be great if governments invested money in monorails. Energy efficient as well as asthetically pleasing, these would definetely change the world's look.

The geodesic dome is known to be the most energy efficient structure. Also, it is really, really strong. The golden dome belongs to a home in Oklahoma, in the United States of America.
Active since 1706!

Offline opus43

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 03:14:28 AM

Walt Disney Concert Hall

A concert hall/apartment/hotel complex in Hamburg.

Siansa National Concert Hall

Concert Hall of the Xinghai Conservatory. Beautiful blend of modern and ancient oriental.

The Starr Theater in New York City.

I don't know where this is, can someone find out?

A hall in St. Petersburg.

Tokyo!

National Centre of the Performing Arts, Beijing.

The Green Music Center in California, in the United States of America
Active since 1706!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 01:16:38 PM
Lol so your idea of innovation is a bunch of luxurious buildings? XD ni hate, no hate. Theyre cool.

However i propose that we somehow get these african politicians and tribe (sub saharan and north africa) to stop being so corrupted, crazy, and barbaric so that they can actually start improving their living conditions...

Seriously middle age europe was in a far better condition than some of these countries.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 03:08:19 PM

This is at my school apparently it's one of the most acoustically perfect halls in the world.

It's EXACTLY symmetrical.  The pieces of wood from both sides of the hall are from the same
*** tree lol.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:11:34 PM

However i propose that we somehow get these african politicians and tribe (sub saharan and north africa) to stop being so corrupted, crazy, and barbaric so that they can actually start improving their living conditions...

Maybe if Europe didn't ruin Africa in the first place maybe they wouldn't have these problems.

But that's none of my business ::). Mmm this Lipton iced tea is good.

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 05:09:23 PM

This is at my school apparently it's one of the most acoustically perfect halls in the world.

It's EXACTLY symmetrical.  The pieces of wood from both sides of the hall are from the same
*** tree lol.
Lol acoustics even matter?

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 05:11:14 PM
Maybe if Europe didn't ruin Africa in the first place maybe they wouldn't have these problems.

But that's none of my business ::). Mmm this Lipton iced tea is good.
Do you believe in the Diaspora?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 05:46:56 PM
Do you believe in the Diaspora?

Diaspora?

You mean like people from somewhere living somewhere else?

Well duh, of course they exist.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 05:56:13 PM

Poverty, lack of infrastructure, no medicine, no education, etc were all prevalent throughout sub-saharan africa before colonization. Colonization is shitty, but don't act like sub-saharan Africa was some great place before the Europeans got there.

Secondly, so you're blaming Europeans on contemporary cases of African politicians resorting to corruption, dictatorships, massacring their own and various other ethnic groups, xenophobia, superstitious (killing albinos will give me magical powers), male and female circumcision, mutilating people for being gay etc...how the hell does that make any sense?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 06:06:48 PM

Poverty, lack of infrastructure, no medicine, no education, etc were all prevalent throughout sub-saharan africa before colonization. Colonization is shitty, but don't act like sub-saharan Africa was some great place before the Europeans got there.

Secondly, so you're blaming Europeans on contemporary cases of African politicians resorting to corruption, dictatorships, massacring their own and various other ethnic groups, xenophobia, superstitious (killing albinos will give me magical powers), male and female circumcision, mutilating people for being gay etc...how the hell does that make any sense?

Aye man I'm not getting in to this cause like I said it's none of my business.

Mmm man I gotta get me some more of this Lipton iced tea. ::)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 06:07:45 PM
Aye man I'm not getting in to this cause like I said it's none of my business.

Mmm man I gotta get me some more of this Lipton iced tea. ::)
>posts
>nvm im staying out of this

wuss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 06:11:19 PM
>posts
>nvm im staying out of this

wuss

Hey come on I have a recital on Saturday and I need to...  Mentally prepare!

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 06:14:04 PM
Diaspora?

You mean like people from somewhere living somewhere else?

Well duh, of course they exist.

I mean,
Do you believe that the people were relocated wrongfully, and what was rightfully theirs was taken from them (thus setting them back irreversibly), so they should be paid reparations?  ::)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 06:15:52 PM
I mean,
Do you believe that the people were relocated wrongfully, and what was rightfully theirs was taken from them, so they should be paid reparations?  ::)

Who

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 06:24:41 PM
Blak Ppl

OOOOOOH so that's what you're talking about.

Look man, All I ask for is to not have to worry about dumb sh*t for being black

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 06:27:38 PM
OOOOOOH so that's what you're talking about.

Look man, All I ask for is to not have to worry about dumb sh*t for being black
I see, enjoy your Lipton Iced Tea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 06:29:58 PM
I see, enjoy your Lipton Iced Tea

Aah thank you do you want some?  It's pretty good.

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 06:40:33 PM
hey mjames:  you say:
  "Poverty, lack of infrastructure, no medicine, no education, etc were all prevalent throughout sub-saharan africa before colonization. Colonization is shitty, but don't act like sub-saharan Africa was some great place before the Europeans got there. "

read a little about colonization, and the corporate control of the incredibly rich  resources, the wealth it provides the few, and the extreme poverty for the many…

and not 'some great place' is more than a severe reduction… but echoes of ignorance.

https://therealnews.com/t2/component/content/article/170-more-blog-posts-from-david-william-pear/1944-africa-incredible-wealth-exploitation-corruption-and-poverty-for-its-people-

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/may/10/kofi-annan-exploit-africa-natural-resources

https://www.salon.com/2015/04/06/big_oils_sleazy_africa_secrets_how_american_companies_and_super_rich_exploit_natural_resources/
4'33"

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 06:51:54 PM
ps.
“The corporations use the labor and land, the people pay the price. It is absolutely modern day slavery. It is exploitation and makes you think about a 500 year history of exploitation of the African continent from its people during the days of slavery and now its resources,” Ms. Woods told The Final Call. “Very few people—those that have—getting more, those that don’t being exploited. That has been the process.”

If you only read a few of the links, include this one… (a mind is a terrible thing to waste)

https://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/world_news_3/the_exploitation_of_africa_s_land_and_people_5661.shtml
4'33"

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 06:54:53 PM
LOL. You do know you're agreeing with me?

"read a little about colonization, and the corporate control of the incredibly rich  resources, the wealth it provides the few, and the extreme poverty for the many…"

You're basically substantiating my argument. Kthnx.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 07:03:18 PM
No -- because you compare That to Africa's past, pre colonization…

Also you mention:

"male and female circumcision, mutilating people for being gay etc...how the hell does that make any sense?"

Here in the US, gays are only just now being recognized under the law as 'equal'
Also, in case you haven't noticed, male circumcision still continues as just 'procedure' - in the US.

ps…you really read those links fast… i can tell you must be one to pick up the nuances btw black and white analysis..
4'33"

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 07:10:42 PM
MJ you say:
  "Colonization is shitty, but don't act like sub-saharan Africa was some great place before the Europeans got there."

As if to say, 'they are better off now, than before'… That is what  i am debating.
4'33"

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 07:20:37 PM
No -- because you compare That to Africa's past, pre colonization…

Also you mention:

"male and female circumcision, mutilating people for being gay etc...how the hell does that make any sense?"

Here in the US, gays are only just now being recognized under the law as 'equal'
Also, in case you haven't noticed, male circumcision still continues as just 'procedure' - in the US.

ps…you really read those links fast… i can tell you must be one to pick up the nuances btw black and white analysis..

First - I'm not American, I'm -X- (you can probably guess as to where I'm from).

"No -- because you compare That to Africa's past, pre colonization…"

You can promptly link me to a self-sustainable sub-saharan civilization known for alleviating the problems of poverty, education, and providing proper infrastructure to which its citizens could greatly benefit from.
Besides I was comparing the circumstances, not the factors. Big difference.

"Here in the US, gays are only just now being recognized under the law as 'equal'
Also, in case you haven't noticed, male circumcision still continues as just 'procedure' - in the US."

What's your point? Certainly the US being backwards does nothing to excuse the backwardness in Africa....right?

"ps…you really read those links fast… i can tell you must be one to pick up the nuances btw black and white analysis.."

It's because I'm familiar with them, particularly because they're what you get on the first page when you google "exploitation in Africa." I'm already all-too familiar with neo-imperialism, but I don't see what you're trying to do here.
It's not about absolving Westerners from any sort of responsibility, it's about trying to stop people (like you're trying to do) from absolving African governments from any sort of responsibility. Corruption is precisely why neo-imperialism works, it's also precisely why a majority of your links touched upon it, and it's also precisely why I don't understand why you're adamant on disagreeing with me.

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 07:30:02 PM
Aah thank you do you want some?  It's pretty good.
Sure, I also like Arizona Iced Tea and Root Beer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 07:48:02 PM
"The devastation of Africa through transatlantic slavery was accompanied by the ignorance of some historians and philosophers to negate its entire history. These ideas and philosophies suggested, that among other things, Africans had never developed any institutions or cultures, nor anything else of any worth and that future advances could only take place under the direction of Europeans or European institutions."

https://www.understandingslavery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=306&Itemid=151

4'33"

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 08:07:56 PM
Of course, many in power have succumbed to the corruption and greed of corporate interest, (resources),  and are beholden there.. As per usual… otherwise, we see what can happen if they don't… It takes a lot, and indeed is the exception to stand up against this.. Sandinistas, Chavez,,, etc..To give the resources back to 'the people' usually takes a revolution..
4'33"

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 08:21:37 PM
"The devastation of Africa through transatlantic slavery was accompanied by the ignorance of some historians and philosophers to negate its entire history. These ideas and philosophies suggested, that among other things, Africans had never developed any institutions or cultures, nor anything else of any worth and that future advances could only take place under the direction of Europeans or European institutions."

https://www.understandingslavery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=306&Itemid=151

*facepalm*

Seriously dude? That's not what I'm even talking about. First, Ancient Egypt wasn't sub-saharan...

Secondly, you're not answering my question. It wasn't a "pre-colonial Africa had no civilizations!" statement. Even your link briefly touches upon

"The development of states in Africa, increased the levels of inequality – between men and women, rich and poor, free and servile. In fact, inequality and economic exploitation were particularly prevalent in some of the most powerful and developed states, such as the Ethiopian kingdom."

That's the point.
Anyways your link is terrible:

no citations
filled with qualitative terminology (one of the greatest civilizations: Great Zimbabwe!)...like seriously, hyperbole much?
You shouldn't counter historical ignorance with sentimental writing. Reaaallly bad article. Especially when it tries so hard to make it a pissing contest ("But see, we africans did it first!") Ugh, I hate Afrocentrism.

So any other links you wanna show me?

Of course, many in power have succumbed to the corruption and greed of corporate interest, (resources),  and are beholden there.. As per usual… otherwise, we see what can happen if they don't… It takes a lot, and indeed is the exception to stand up against this.. Sandinistas, Chavez,,, etc..To give the resources back to 'the people' usually takes a revolution..

Now we're sort of in the same page: placing responsibility on African governments.

ANYWAYS, going back to TOPIC:

Something really amazing happened last friday. Anyone in here interested aerospace engineering, and space crap?

Maybe privatization will end up starting another space race. I can only dream.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 08:30:36 PM
"Now we're sort of in the same page: placing responsibility on African governments. "

I see That component as the Last link in the chain.  Do You?  
(The control obviously 'leads' from outside the gov't.  )

As for privatization, we can leave that for another day.. 
4'33"

Offline opus43

Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 12:58:38 AM

Seriously middle age europe was in a far better condition than some of these countries.

True
Active since 1706!

Offline opus43

Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 01:00:07 AM
Lol so your idea of innovation is a bunch of luxurious buildings? XD ni hate, no hate. Theyre cool.

You're right; innovation is much more than luxurious buildings XD  I guess I kind of overdid it on the architecture side  ;D
Active since 1706!

Offline opus43

Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 01:01:54 AM

*** tree lol.
:o :o :o :o :o :o <333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333
Active since 1706!

Offline opus43

Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 01:05:14 AM

ANYWAYS, going back to TOPIC:

Something really amazing happened last friday. Anyone in here interested aerospace engineering, and space crap?

Maybe privatization will end up starting another space race. I can only dream.

OMG Yes, I can't wait; I'm mentally hyperventilating and drooling right now!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Active since 1706!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 01:30:18 AM
:o :o :o :o :o :o <333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333

Yeah and they have three different relatively new (one brand new) Steinway D's and I almost played on the newest Hamburg one in a competition it's freaking awesome dude.

Literally everything in there sounds good.

Offline opus43

Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 01:52:24 AM
Yeah and they have three different relatively new (one brand new) Steinway D's and I almost played on the newest Hamburg one in a competition it's freaking awesome dude.

Literally everything in there sounds good.

UHHHHHHH <333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
Active since 1706!

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 02:18:21 AM
y dont u just buy an electric piano dude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 02:31:23 AM
y dont u just buy an electric piano dude

who me?

Dude I grew up on an electrical

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 02:41:11 AM
who me?

Dude I grew up on an electrical
oooo

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 07:20:48 PM
And yet another reason why some African regions need modernization:

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ethiopia-vows-pursue-perpetrators-gambella-massacre-1555384

From what I've read, the bodycount is 200+.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert