Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 11:22:40 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The New List of Instructive Editions

At the Music Education Expo in London last week, we received a lot of positive feedback from piano teachers and students who had successfully used Piano Street’s Instructive Editions to improve the learning process. You can easily find the pieces having instructive editions on the new list. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headphones for a Digital Piano  (Read 100 times)
abhishekchanda
PS Silver Member

« on: November 08, 2017, 06:36:00 AM »

Hi,

I own a Yamaha P115. I am considering purchasing the Sony MDR 7506 Headphone.  There are two variants of it, one with Mic and the other without it.

I wanted to know the significance of the one with Mic. Under what circumstances, is it to be used? Will it be helpful for some live Studio recording or any concert performance.

I will be mostly using it for my practice sessions. Pardon me, if my question sounds too naive.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
andrew79
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:07:42 AM »

Hey, it's a great choice for a digital piano. I don't think you'll need a version with Mic, if you're buying these headphones for practice. It's definitely not suitable for " Studio recording or any concert performance". You could use the mic for Skype conversations/ phone calls and that kind of thing.
timothy42b
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »

It gets good reviews. 

My relatives who do a lot of gaming use headphones with microphones.  I don't know any other reason for it. 

Tim
quantum
PS Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:54:08 AM »

If you were doing online piano lessons, or some sort of online collaboration you might need a mic.  Otherwise, headphone without mic is just fine. 

The MDR 7506 is a closed design.  Personally, I would prefer open headphones for practicing.  Open headphones give a more natural sound, like hearing something in a room rather than putting a speaker up to your ear.  They can also be more comfortable to wear for long periods because there is airflow into them.  Closed headphones give better sound isolation, in both directions, so you hear less of the stuff around you and people nearby don't hear what you are listing too. 

Have a look at the HD 518 as comparison.  It is open, and about the same price point as the MDR 7506.  See if there is a store around you that lets you audition headphones, so you can hear the difference between open and closed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
honzaes
PS Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »

For piano, I would recommend AKG K-701 or 702. Many may say there is not enough bass, but thats because most other cheapy headphones have way too much in bass. AKG 701 are well balanced, they got some body of the sound and clarity, and they are absolutely non fatiguing for ears, you can practice for hours. AKG 702 are made in China, generally worse quality than original Austrian production, but still offer great sound at decent price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: