Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: What would you do??  (Read 1358 times)

Offline deandeblock

What would you do??
on: September 02, 2016, 05:23:45 PM
Dear pianofriends!

I have here, two recordings from the ABSRM grade 4 list A.

I have only one question: Which one do you prefer?

BACH or KREBS

work hard, play hard

Offline pjjslp

Re: What would you do??
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:43:13 PM
Of these two performances? Definitely prefer the Krebs. Very nice!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:47:09 PM
Krebs, it's more relaxed and musical, the Bach sounds a bit stiff and slow still. And it's a boring piece anyway ;)

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 06:08:06 PM
Krebs, definitely. It has more vitality, and the Bach sounds somewhat mechanical.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline deandeblock

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:23:15 PM
Thanks for all your honest opinions!

Me and Bach..... *sigh* it's probably never gonna work out :/
work hard, play hard

Offline pjjslp

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:53:26 PM

Do you enjoy playing Bach? If I were to guess based on your videos, I would assume you enjoy playing the Krebs piece and possibly sigh heavily when forced to play the Bach. :) If you enjoy Bach but find it difficult, what are you struggling with?

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:07:42 PM

I wouldn't worry yourself, it takes a particular play style to make it work, I also never got Bach, where we are lucky, is that there are so many other wonderful composers, it better to play to our strengths than weaknesses
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline deandeblock

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 05:19:48 PM
Do you enjoy playing Bach? If I were to guess based on your videos, I would assume you enjoy playing the Krebs piece and possibly sigh heavily when forced to play the Bach. :) If you enjoy Bach but find it difficult, what are you struggling with?

I actually like Bach very much ... I think it is mighty music. But playing it properly is something very different.

Its been over two years since I started playing the piano for the first time so let's hope I can still improve my Bach and be good at it

work hard, play hard

Offline pjjslp

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 02:24:36 PM
I actually like Bach very much ... I think it is mighty music. But playing it properly is something very different.

Its been over two years since I started playing the piano for the first time so let's hope I can still improve my Bach and be good at it

You've only been playing for two years? Cut yourself some slack :). Playing Bach well is HARD but sounds deceptively easy. It's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy playing Bach when I was a teenage showoff ;). I primarily played for non-pianists and preferred to play pieces that were relatively easy but sounded impressive, not pieces that were difficult and required a lot of work but sounded easy! If you enjoy playing Bach, keep at it. You will get there!

Offline deandeblock

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 07:13:40 AM
You've only been playing for two years? Cut yourself some slack :). Playing Bach well is HARD but sounds deceptively easy. It's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy playing Bach when I was a teenage showoff ;). I primarily played for non-pianists and preferred to play pieces that were relatively easy but sounded impressive, not pieces that were difficult and required a lot of work but sounded easy! If you enjoy playing Bach, keep at it. You will get there!

Thanks!

Do you have some recorded Bach?

Version I really like is this one:
work hard, play hard

Offline pjjslp

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 01:19:04 PM
Thanks!

Do you have some recorded Bach?

Heck no! Lol. I haven't played any Bach seriously since I stopped taking lessons 25 years ago. I do get my WTC out from time to time to do a little sight reading, but I can't get that excited about spending my limited practice time learning Bach. Just not one of my favorites.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert