Op. 48 no 2
Op. 55 no 1
Op. 55 no 2
Op. 62 no 1
Op. 62 no 2
Op. 72 no 1
Op. posth in C# minor

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Most beautiful Chopin nocturne?  (Read 16334 times)

Offline pianoville

Most beautiful Chopin nocturne?
on: September 11, 2016, 04:42:17 PM
How difficult is op. 62 no 1? Is it one of the most difficult ones?
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline dogperson

Re: Most beautiful Chopin nocturne?
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 05:21:00 PM
Most beautiful nocturne?   Impossible to vote, as many are beautiful in an individual  way.

Difficulty of 62, 1?  You might want to look at this thread which discusses the difficulty of the nocturnes

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=45908.0

Or piano syllabus, which shows the various ratings given to the same nocturne -- depending on who is doing the rating.

https://www.pianosyllabus.com/default.php

Online chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 06:47:34 PM
Since this is all subjective (and my favorite changes by the hour), I'll leave a list of ones that I love.
- All of Op. 15
- 27/2 (of course)
- Op. 32/1
- Both in Op. 48
- Op. 55/1
- Op. 62 (sometimes; my love for them sort of comes and goes)

Offline piulento

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 06:56:11 PM
Based on your repertoire, 62/1 should be a piece of cake. It's very interesting to learn.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 07:39:13 PM
Based on your repertoire, 62/1 should be a piece of cake. It's very interesting to learn.

That's how you know he's lying...

"lol i am working on a difficult concerto"

"is op. 62 difficult!??!?!?!?!?!"

Troll detected.

Offline pianoville

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 08:13:36 PM
That's how you know he's lying...

"lol i am working on a difficult concerto"

"is op. 62 difficult!??!?!?!?!?!"

Troll detected.
Lol Mendelssohn is a really easy concerto. It is not by any means more musically challenging than ANYTHING Chopin ever wrote. Troll detected

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 09:16:02 PM
Lol Mendelssohn is a really easy concerto. It is not by any means more musically challenging than ANYTHING Chopin ever wrote. Troll detected

Right..so a 20min bravura piece in which you have to coordinate with an orchestra is easier than all those 2-3page waltzes, mazurkas, and nocturnes? You can handle all that music but you're unable to gauge the difficulty of a what, 6 page nocturne? Riiiiiiiight

Yeah I'm the troll. Try harder.  ::)

Offline pianosp

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 01:23:29 AM
I like the nocturne in e minor the best.

Offline pianoville

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 05:00:42 AM
Right..so a 20min bravura piece in which you have to coordinate with an orchestra is easier than all those 2-3page waltzes, mazurkas, and nocturnes? You can handle all that music but you're unable to gauge the difficulty of a what, 6 page nocturne? Riiiiiiiight

Yeah I'm the troll. Try harder.  ::)
I said nothing about the technical difficulty, I just that Chopin is much more musically challenging. And btw I started playing Mendelssohn like a week ago so yeah. Try harder

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 03:38:23 PM
I said nothing about the technical difficulty, I just that Chopin is much more musically challenging. And btw I started playing Mendelssohn like a week ago so yeah. Try harder

LOL.
RIGHT. A nocturne's more "musically challenging" than an approx. 18-20min bravura concerto piece. Not only are you bad at imitating/mocking others, you're a terrible liar too. Enjoy the ~elusive~ nocturne.  ::)

Offline pianoville

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 06:01:56 PM
LOL.
RIGHT. A nocturne's more "musically challenging" than an approx. 18-20min bravura concerto piece. Not only are you bad at imitating/mocking others, you're a terrible liar too. Enjoy the ~elusive~ nocturne.  ::)

Hah it seems like you are one of those dicks that think they know everything about piano. I bet you can't even play für elise lol

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 06:18:48 PM
Hah it seems like you are one of those dicks that think they know everything about piano. I bet you can't even play für elise lol

I don't know everything, but I know enough to call BS when I see it. "Mendelssohn is ez." But can't even analyze the difficulties by simply looking at the score! Maybe you're not lying, maybe you're just an accomplished but highly incompetent pianist. What are the odds? Forgive me for calling you a troll, I think you're just stupid.

So enlighten me Mr. "lol is ez" Pianist. Just what are the musical challenges[to be fair, I don't even seperate 'technique' and 'musical' but w/e] in the nocturne? And how do they supersede the ones found in Mendelssohn's concerto?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 06:19:48 PM
fur elise is a hard song

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 06:22:06 PM
fur elise is a hard song

I know you're messing around, but even though it's overplayed, it's a lot more challenging than it looks!  :o He's right though, I can't play it. More like I can't be arsed to learn it XD

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 07:10:08 PM
I know you're messing around, but even though it's overplayed, it's a lot more challenging than it looks!  :o He's right though, I can't play it. More like I can't be arsed to learn it XD
;D
it's overplayed quite badly. seldom heard done really well by pianists with the 'chops' to actually make it what is should/could be.
as much as it's attempted by students, it's not streamed/downloaded as often as I thought. I watched a lecture and one of the factoids i took away was that the/probably the most downloaded/streamed piece of classical music (or piano music) is the Satie Gymnopedie, likely but a ton of people at work or studying... :P

comparing a  large scale romantic collaborative work (and piano  + orchestra no less) to a solo

Offline pianoville

Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 07:35:48 PM
I don't know everything, but I know enough to call BS when I see it. "Mendelssohn is ez." But can't even analyze the difficulties by simply looking at the score! Maybe you're not lying, maybe you're just an accomplished but highly incompetent pianist. What are the odds? Forgive me for calling you a troll, I think you're just stupid.

So enlighten me Mr. "lol is ez" Pianist. Just what are the musical challenges[to be fair, I don't even seperate 'technique' and 'musical' but w/e] in the nocturne? And how do they supersede the ones found in Mendelssohn's concerto?
First of all, the trolls att the end are very difficult to puls of correctly. Second of all, the nuances are very hard to do right. You have to play the trolls in like ppp which is extremely difficult, especially to not miss a single note or play one note in like mf. That would sound horrible. Mendelssohn doesn't really have that kind of difficulties, smartass.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 09:44:14 PM
First of all, the trolls att the end are very difficult to puls of correctly. Second of all, the nuances are very hard to do right. You have to play the trolls in like ppp which is extremely difficult, especially to not miss a single note or play one note in like mf. That would sound horrible. Mendelssohn doesn't really have that kind of difficulties, smartass.

You can handle all those double trills [from the mendelssohn and op. 25 no. 6 Chopin etude) and dexterous passages but a few bars of straightforward trills are difficult? LOL. Right, I'm done. I was just venting on you because I was in a bad mood, who knew you'd be so easy to see through. Like I said before, enjoy the 'practicing.'

Offline pianoville

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 05:55:18 AM
You can handle all those double trills [from the mendelssohn and op. 25 no. 6 Chopin etude) and dexterous passages but a few bars of straightforward trills are difficult? LOL. Right, I'm done. I was just venting on you because I was in a bad mood, who knew you'd be so easy to see through. Like I said before, enjoy the 'practicing.'
  Okay, I see your point there and I realize that what I asked was pretty stupid. But I just wanna know difficult a piece is before I started studying so I don't waste my time on something too difficult. But you are right. Sorry for my stupidity

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 01:14:25 PM
  Okay, I see your point there and I realize that what I asked was pretty stupid. But I just wanna know difficult a piece is before I started studying so I don't waste my time on something too difficult. But you are right. Sorry for my stupidity

If I didnt find it to be difficult, then you won't either. :D

Offline pianoville

Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 02:44:21 PM
If I didnt find it to be difficult, then you won't either. :D
Nice to have this sorted out!

Offline leo_t7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 01:25:48 AM
I personally love Nocturne #10 in Ab Major op. 32 no. 2. I am very fond of Rubinstein's performance in particular and think the piece itself is particularly beautiful. I also like op. 72 no. 1 and op. posth in C# Minor.
Working on:
Beethoven - Piano Sonata no. 29 in B-flat, op. 106

Online chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 01:53:39 AM
Agreed on the Op. 32 recommendation. Of the nocturnes, that opus is somewhat underplayed compared to the big ones like 27/2, 48/1, 55/1, and Op. 62... But they're all played fairly often so I shouldn't complain.
In any case, you have good taste ;)

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 03:43:04 AM
9/3
15/1
27/2
32/2
48/2
62/1
48/1
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert