Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Paging ahinton: Sorabji questions  (Read 1723 times)

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
Paging ahinton: Sorabji questions
on: September 30, 2017, 01:59:30 AM
Anyone know which piece is being played in the background in this interview excerpt? https://www.cpr.org/classical/story/interview-pianist-jonathan-powell-preps-denver-performance-seven-hour-piece

I'm not referring to the youtube video at the bottom or the full interview at the very top; click on the "Audio: Jonathan Powell Performing A Seven-Hour Piece" link in the middle of the article to hear the excerpt. I assume it's Sorabji.

Question #2: Are there any new Sorabji recordings in the works? What's the status on Tellef's Opus Archimagicum (lol)?

Offline cimirro

Re: Paging ahinton: Sorabji questions
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 07:13:08 AM
#1 maybe "Sequentia Cyclica super Dies Irae"?

#2 About recording Opus Archimagicum (not by Tellef) - ask me again in the end of October - even Mr.Hinton will be surprised by my news...  ;D

Best
Artur Cimirro
"Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong."
Winston Churchill

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:48:57 AM
Anyone know which piece is being played in the background in this interview excerpt? https://www.cpr.org/classical/story/interview-pianist-jonathan-powell-preps-denver-performance-seven-hour-piece

I'm not referring to the youtube video at the bottom or the full interview at the very top; click on the "Audio: Jonathan Powell Performing A Seven-Hour Piece" link in the middle of the article to hear the excerpt. I assume it's Sorabji.

Question #2: Are there any new Sorabji recordings in the works? What's the status on Tellef's Opus Archimagicum (lol)?
Yes, it is SC and that recording is indeed in the works; I don't have a release date for it yet but it's all ready to go. Fredrik Ullén still has Vols. VI & VII of his survey of the 100 Transcendental Studies to do but, to my knowledge, these have yet to be recorded.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 10:49:32 AM
#1 maybe "Sequentia Cyclica super Dies Irae"?

#2 About recording Opus Archimagicum (not by Tellef) - ask me again in the end of October - even Mr.Hinton will be surprised by my news...  ;D

Best
Artur Cimirro
Mr Hinton looks forward very much to that news, whatever it might be!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline marro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 11:58:45 PM
#2 About recording Opus Archimagicum (not by Tellef) - ask me again in the end of October
Can I ask? What's the status on Cimirro's Opus Archimagicum?
Also question to mr. Hinton, (and possibly others) if he could write if there is any connection to tarot magic, etc of Opus Archimagicum? I am astrologer so I am interested in that aspect of the work too. I haven't seen score of OA btw.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 03:52:43 AM
Also question to mr. Hinton, (and possibly others) if he could write if there is any connection to tarot magic, etc of Opus Archimagicum? I am astrologer so I am interested in that aspect of the work too. I haven't seen score of OA btw.
I don't know the answer to your first question; I wish that I did. As to the second, you might care to peruse the long since defunct website https://www.opusarchimagicum.com/main.html , for all that its apparent ambitions have not been realised.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline cimirro

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 01:33:03 AM
Will be answered in few days/weeks in a 4 minutes video, I'm just arranging a smartphone and the access to a decent piano to do that.
Sometimes it is necessary to prove things... just some more days... ;)

Best
Artur
"Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong."
Winston Churchill

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 03:20:46 PM
Will be answered in few days/weeks in a 4 minutes video, I'm just arranging a smartphone and the access to a decent piano to do that.
Sometimes it is necessary to prove things... just some more days... ;)

Best
Artur
That's perfectly fine, of course. Good luck with this!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert