Piano Forum

bBB

Topic: Suggest a practice regimen for a slightly special case?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline maxim3

• PS Silver Member
Suggest a practice regimen for a slightly special case?
on: November 28, 2017, 07:50:51 PM
Please read this post slowly and exactly, and then take at least 24 hours before you answer. That way you will save time, because after you've slept on it, your answer will come to you quickly and in few words. No rush here.

Imagine a composer, NOT A PEFORMER, who uses the keyboard to compose. He has the technical skills of Liszt, Chopin, Tatum, etc. PLUS first-rate improvisational skills.

But he only has the use of his right hand.

However, with that right hand, he can play any left or right hand things imaginable, in a relaxed manner with proper hand, wrist, elbow, etc. motions and positions; just not very artistically, because he does not waste extra practice time on aspects that need only concern performing artists.

I would like to be that composer. I'm at sort of intermediate level: I can play all of Hanon vol. 1 in all the major keys, some faster than others of course, but not yet up to maximum speed. I know and can play all the major and minor scales (and can even do a few of Hanon in the easier harmonic minors.) I am starting to learn broken chords and arpeggios.

For what it's worth, I really enjoy technical exercises such as Hanon, Cortot, Philipp, and all the rest, and I believe in their value. (Anti-Hanon people, please remain silent.)

So: great technical skills, total improvisational freedom, complete applied theoretical keyboard knowledge, with no worries about having a beautiful sound (composer, not performer, remember.) Theory and harmony I can do on my own (in fact I'm quite advanced.)

What is a practice regimen that will result in this vision?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Suggest a practice regimen for a slightly special case?
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:23:33 PM
i slept on it, and then tomorrow got in a worm hole and popped back into now/today.
I came to the only reasonable conclusion, you need to practice getting in touch with good piano teachers that can work with you and your needs and where you are in your development to develop a practice habit that meets your needs

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:53:06 PM
"I would like to be that composer."

start composing… (Hanon won't be much help there..Philipe is very good for balancing multiple voices in one hand.. which may be quite helpful for you.
4'33"

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:06:20 PM
3 hours a day at the piano composing,
2 hours a day at the piano playing your own compositions,
2 hours a day practicing other people's compositions,
1 hour a day sight reading/sight transposing,
Any time you can manage after that studying functional harmony and composition techniques,
Hope that you have the right DNA.

I know that's a lot but you are asking for a lot too.

Offline maxim3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:32:05 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Now it seems to me that my question was not really one best suited to a forum like this. I'll think about it some more and try to break it down into more appropriate chunks if I can.

Offline maxim3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 01:28:32 AM
I have been doing some research and I have discovered the existence of a hitherto unknown planet named...

ORGAN IMPROVISATION

I believe that this is the way forward.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert