Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Yuja Wangs dresses...  (Read 33235 times)

Offline pianoville

Yuja Wangs dresses...
on: December 02, 2017, 08:12:41 PM
I am getting VERY tired of people judging pianists because how they look or what they wear. Especially with Yuja Wang. You can't even go to a video of Yuja Wang on youtube without negative comments about what she wears. I just wonder, why the f*ck does anyone care what she wears? Why does it even matter? It is not like she wears those short dresses for attention. She wears them because that is what she is comfortable wearing. And to those who say that her. dresses detract from her playing, why can't you just close your eyes and listen? I personally think this is one of the biggest problems with the classical music community, and it needs to change.

What are your thoughts on this?
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yuja Wangs dresses...
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:35:43 PM
"She wears them because that is what she is comfortable wearing"… and maybe it's 'good marketing'.. (got everyone talking..
4'33"

Offline stevensk

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 08:48:03 PM
I am getting VERY tired of people judging pianists because how they look or what they wear. Especially with Yuja Wang. You can't even go to a video of Yuja Wang on youtube without negative comments about what she wears. I just wonder, why the f*ck does anyone care what she wears? Why does it even matter? It is not like she wears those short dresses for attention. She wears them because that is what she is comfortable wearing. And to those who say that her. dresses detract from her playing, why can't you just close your eyes and listen? I personally think this is one of the biggest problems with the classical music community, and it needs to change.

I agree

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:50:16 PM
It's all part of the show. People who get outraged by what she wears are contributing to her PR!
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 08:53:47 PM
no, Ronde, sex never sells  ;D

but on the question of her  taste in 'sexy clothes'…  hummm .. 8)
4'33"

Offline nickc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 08:54:58 PM
She is stunning... and a brilliant pianist!

If you guys want a good laugh, watch the opening of this encore... look at the facial expression of the man and his wife at the 15 second mark... priceless!!!

Offline pianoville

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 08:58:05 PM
no, Ronde, sex never sells  ;D

Are you sure?  ;D

Offline pianoville

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 09:03:09 PM

If you guys want a good laugh, watch the opening of this encore... look at the facial expression of the man and his wife at the 15 second mark... priceless!!!

I agree! She is one of my favorite young pianists, especially in Prokofiev!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 09:07:46 PM

The funny thing is, that sums her up. She has all the dexterity and technique in the world, but she plays a bit superficially, and almost invariably on the fast side (compare, eg, the same piece with Rachmaninov playing).  

I don't really see anything wrong with her using her physical presence though. Let's face it, Liszt did also. Curiously I was just reading yet another article on her, once again with the underlying attitude of puritanical disapproval mixed with creepy sexualisation.. I'll get the link.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 09:09:42 PM
Curiously I was just reading yet another article on her, once again with the underlying attitude of puritanical disapproval mixed with creepy sexualisation.. I'll get the link.

Here goes: https://slippedisc.com/2017/12/now-yuja-wang-comes-out-in-her-undies/
Embarassing tabloid-style "journalism".

Offline nickc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 09:13:28 PM
My gosh... just listen to her Scriabin...

As far as superficial playing is concerned, I don't agree or disagree. I think it's both up to the listener and performer. Some her performances don't phase me at all... while others are breathtaking (the Scriabin posted below). Also, her performance of the Brahms 1st concerto was stunning.

Offline pianoville

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 09:16:26 PM
Here goes: https://slippedisc.com/2017/12/now-yuja-wang-comes-out-in-her-undies/
Embarassing tabloid-style "journalism".

Almost like the 1000000 other reviews on her.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 09:18:07 PM
Almost like the 1000000 other reviews on her.

Yes, and this is pathetic. What do these reviewers do when it comes to a CD? Comment on the inlay photo?

Offline pianoville

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 09:22:36 PM
Yes, and this is pathetic. What do these reviewers do when it comes to a CD? Comment on the inlay photo?

Those reviewers wouldn't make a review on her CD's because then they wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yuja Wang's dresses...
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 09:24:14 PM
I don't care at all what she wears and, in any case, I can listen to her without having to watch her. I listened to her performing Brahms violin sonatas with Leonidas Kavakos some time ago and these performances were models of appropriate restraint without being compromised in any way whatsoever. Whilst I think that her apparel - not least those ridiculous shoes that must make pedalling a real chore and, in some cases, even a possible danger - leaves much to be desired, I care only about how she plays and, whilst she might not be the ultimate in Skryabin playing, she has much to offer in this and other performances of that remarkable composer's piano music.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 10:45:17 PM
…those ridiculous shoes that must make pedalling a real chore and, in some cases, even a possible danger…

I disagree with this. The pedals on one of my pianos are particularly high and it's always been a strain to play them, particularly in bare feet. If I'm doing a long session I'll usually put my heel on a book and it is much more comfortable. Our feet are made for pointing downwards. It's how we run. I really don't think those heels affect the pedaling as much as people assume and in my experience having your heel above the pedal actually makes it easier.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 10:54:40 PM
She wears them because that is what she is comfortable wearing.

I'm not sure it's about comfort exactly. I get the impression she wears them because she likes the way they look. Nothing wrong with that. Who doesn't dress to look good?

Ironically I think it's the people who complain about the way she dresses that are the most superficial. Why would they care how she looks otherwise?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 12:39:27 AM
She seems to have good rhythm at least when it comes to walking across the stage to match the rhythm of applause, or the audience is applauding her dress to the rhythm of her walk
 ::)

I suspect she, Khatia B, and Anasasia Huppman all are self aware enough to know and understand that dress is a tool and wielded properly can help with sending the messages they want to have impact others , more power to them,  at least they are not afraid to use that set of tools in their presentation

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 02:24:46 AM
Thank god nobody on this thread is complaining about the way she dresses.

The only people who actually do complain about attite either suck or are non musicians anyways so I don't take them seriously
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 05:09:32 AM
I disagree with this. The pedals on one of my pianos are particularly high and it's always been a strain to play them, particularly in bare feet. If I'm doing a long session I'll usually put my heel on a book and it is much more comfortable. Our feet are made for pointing downwards. It's how we run. I really don't think those heels affect the pedaling as much as people assume and in my experience having your heel above the pedal actually makes it easier.
I can't vouch for your own piano (except that the pedals sound to be set extremely high if you do that) but I doubt that the pedals on those that Yuja plays in concerts are other than standard height - but just imagine trying to use all three in shoes such as she wears!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 05:32:38 AM
…just imagine trying to use all three in shoes such as she wears!

She seems to manage. And at last year's Sydney International Piano Competition I remember seeing several female competitors wearing similar length heels and it didn't look to cause them any problems. Have you ever heard the expression; "One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions"? I suppose you could imagine playing in heels and draw your conclusions from that but there is really only one way to know for sure. Personally I don't even know how people walk in those things but lots of women seem to get around just fine in them so I can only conclude that once you get used to it it's really no problem.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 08:24:51 AM

Actually I think she does wear them to make a statement so for attention. She did even say something along this line in an interview.

Some of her dresses bother me in the same way I am bothered by a pianist sweating all over the place when they play. I don't want to see. Naked female flesh is not attractive to me. It does not make them worse players but I would only listen not watch. And I might not pay a lot of money to go to a live concert if I know I would have to avoid looking at the pianist.

As for the heels, it can make palying a little easier when one has small feet. I would never wear heels aymore when walking, but I do have some on my pedalling shoes.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 11:55:27 AM
Actually I think she does wear them to make a statement so for attention. She did even say something along this line in an interview.

Some of her dresses bother me in the same way I am bothered by a pianist sweating all over the place when they play. I don't want to see. Naked female flesh is not attractive to me. It does not make them worse players but I would only listen not watch. And I might not pay a lot of money to go to a live concert if I know I would have to avoid looking at the pianist.

As for the heels, it can make palying a little easier when one has small feet. I would never wear heels aymore when walking, but I do have some on my pedalling shoes.
Apart from the well known fact that wearing such things lays up problems in the future, it's as much the sheer spindly nature of them that must make pedalling more problematic, especially to anyone who uses all three pedals (some pianists never touch the sostenuto one, I know, but...)

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 11:59:15 AM
Our feet are made for pointing downwards. It's how we run.
I don't know about that! Mine aren't, for starters and, whilst I'm no Olympic athlete, I can and do occasionally run! Also, there's the matter of how the wearing of such shoes might adversely impact upon general posture at the intrument.

Anyway, I don't know why Yuja wears what she does when performing and, if she wants to make a statement by such means, that's up to her, but she's a fine pianist who has no need to draw attention to anything other than what she plays and how she plays it.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 12:49:18 PM
Apart from the well known fact that wearing such things lays up problems in the future, it's as much the sheer spindly nature of them that must make pedalling more problematic, especially to anyone who uses all three pedals (some pianists never touch the sostenuto one, I know, but...)

My pedalling shoes have some heel but they are no stilletto heels :)
Maybe I should try a pair of my old party shoes...or not. I have a weak right ankle (a torn ligament) and I would probably twist it if I tried to play with such things...I went to a party recently and decided to wear a short dress and very high heels. The shoes went off after an hour or so ;D

I do often play in my pyjamas. They are very comfortable. If I ever become a performer I might want to wear something like that...I absolutely love flannel.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 01:23:13 PM
I don't know about that! Mine aren't…

Sorry, I meant sprinting, not normal running. I should have been more specific.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 04:52:53 PM
Sorry, I meant sprinting, not normal running. I should have been more specific.
OK but, even so, I don't get this natural "pointing downwards" bit - and, in any case, trying to negotiate three pedals when on what are effectively uncomfortable spindly stilts seems utterly daft (not to say unhelathy) to me; isn't piano playing hard enough without introducing additional superfluous obstacles?

I have to admit that the sheer unalloyed pleasure of listening to her playing the Brahms sonatas for violin and piano with Leonidas Kavakos was something which I'm relieved was not undermined by having to watch her, as it was a radio broadcast...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 10:50:30 PM
OK but, even so, I don't get this natural "pointing downwards" bit…

Perhaps I phrased it badly. Watch any good sprinter in slow motion and you'll notice their heels never touch the ground. Meaning they run on their toes, i.e. their feet are pointing downwards.

Here's another way to think of it. Compare standing on your toes vs. trying to lift another person with your feet alone.

There is a reason our ankles flex in one direction and not the other but if you aren't convinced take look at this image then tell me if you think the feet are more capable of pointing up or down.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 05:13:16 AM
Perhaps I phrased it badly. Watch any good sprinter in slow motion and you'll notice their heels never touch the ground. Meaning they run on their toes, i.e. their feet are pointing downwards.

Here's another way to think of it. Compare standing on your toes vs. trying to lift another person with your feet alone.

There is a reason our ankles flex in one direction and not the other but if you aren't convinced take look at this image then tell me if you think the feet are more capable of pointing up or down.
The point here, however, is not what some people might be capable of doing but whether it is necessary to place obstacles in the way of doing it; by the same token, one might as well consider the possibility of playing the piano while wearing gloves. Isn't the object of the piano playing exercise to make life as easy - or rather as least difficult - as possible? And on what grounds might a sprinter - who, incidentally, never wears shoes with heels, especially spindly ones, while sprinting - be cited as an example of how a pianist would use the pedals on the piano? The distance between a piano pedal when depressed and the same when not depressed is relatively small, so the movements required to depress and release a piano pedal are similarly small. In any case, the sprinter and the pianist are not trying to achieve the same thing!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 09:15:24 AM
The point here, however, is not what some people might be capable of doing but whether it is necessary to place obstacles in the way of doing it; by the same token, one might as well consider the possibility of playing the piano while wearing gloves. Isn't the object of the piano playing exercise to make life as easy - or rather as least difficult - as possible? And on what grounds might a sprinter - who, incidentally, never wears shoes with heels, especially spindly ones, while sprinting - be cited as an example of how a pianist would use the pedals on the piano? The distance between a piano pedal when depressed and the same when not depressed is relatively small, so the movements required to depress and release a piano pedal are similarly small. In any case, the sprinter and the pianist are not trying to achieve the same thing!

Best,

Alistair

I feel like we're talking past each other here. You seem to be saying that working the pedals in heels is intrinsically more difficult and therefore people shouldn't do it. My point is that I don't think that is necessarily true because a lot of female pianists do it and it doesn't seem to affect their ability to pedal in the slightest (plus outin confirmed in an earlier post that heels can actually make pedaling easier for people with smaller feet). The only reason I brought up sprinting and the movement of the feet and ankles is because you said you didn't understand what I meant when I said that our feet are made for pointing downward. It has nothing to doing with pedaling, but it does explain why trying to work very tall pedals can be a strain and perhaps why those with smaller feet might find pedaling in heels a little easier (because smaller feet would require a more acute angle to get the front of the feet on the pedal while keeping the heel on the ground).

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to say that we should all start wearing heels when we play piano, I'm just not prepared to assume that it is more difficult because I've never actually done it myself. However, I have played with my heel resting on a couple of books and I do find that less of a strain when doing a lot of pedaling in a long session.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 11:58:18 AM
I feel like we're talking past each other here. You seem to be saying that working the pedals in heels is intrinsically more difficult and therefore people shouldn't do it. My point is that I don't think that is necessarily true because a lot of female pianists do it and it doesn't seem to affect their ability to pedal in the slightest (plus outin confirmed in an earlier post that heels can actually make pedaling easier for people with smaller feet). The only reason I brought up sprinting and the movement of the feet and ankles is because you said you didn't understand what I meant when I said that our feet are made for pointing downward. It has nothing to doing with pedaling, but it does explain why trying to work very tall pedals can be a strain and perhaps why those with smaller feet might find pedaling in heels a little easier (because smaller feet would require a more acute angle to get the front of the feet on the pedal while keeping the heel on the ground).

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to say that we should all start wearing heels when we play piano, I'm just not prepared to assume that it is more difficult because I've never actually done it myself. However, I have played with my heel resting on a couple of books and I do find that less of a strain when doing a lot of pedaling in a long session.
Well, I hope that we're not "talking past each other"! I did indeed say that pedalling in high heels - especially spindly ones that inevitably reduce control - is "intrinsically more difficult"; I did not, however, say that "therefore people shouldn't do it", for that's up to each individual pianist to decide.

You write of "trying to work very tall pedals [that] can be a strain". Whilst of course I understand that in principle, I imagine that it's very rare for a piano in a concert hall to exhibit such a characteristic and that the distance between the floor and the pedals is small, manageable by almost all pianists irrespective of the size of their feet and pretty much standard; in any event, when have you ever encountereed a male pianist wearing high heels in order to negotiate pedals that are a substantially greater distance from the floor than usual? It's pretty clear that Yuja's decision about concert platform footwear has nothing to do with an inability on her part to negotiate the pedals!

You lastly write of having "played with my heel resting on a couple of books and I do find that less of a strain when doing a lot of pedaling in a long session"; from this, I can only imagine that you've practised on such occasions on a piano whose pedal mechanism is somehow set way too far off the floor and would therefore be a problem for anyone, not just you; moreover, a couple of books is a far more stable support (if needed) that a couple of stiletto heels!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 01:10:32 PM
It should be noted that if a person wears heels almost all the time, the tendons become shortened, and then the motions for pedal actually become difficult from what is in fact a crippling effect. Just a thought.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 01:14:32 PM
Well, I hope that we're not "talking past each other"! I did indeed say that pedalling in high heels - especially spindly ones that inevitably reduce control - is "intrinsically more difficult"; I did not, however, say that "therefore people shouldn't do it", for that's up to each individual pianist to decide.

You write of "trying to work very tall pedals [that] can be a strain". Whilst of course I understand that in principle, I imagine that it's very rare for a piano in a concert hall to exhibit such a characteristic and that the distance between the floor and the pedals is small, manageable by almost all pianists irrespective of the size of their feet and pretty much standard; in any event, when have you ever encountereed a male pianist wearing high heels in order to negotiate pedals that are a substantially greater distance from the floor than usual? It's pretty clear that Yuja's decision about concert platform footwear has nothing to do with an inability on her part to negotiate the pedals!

You lastly write of having "played with my heel resting on a couple of books and I do find that less of a strain when doing a lot of pedaling in a long session"; from this, I can only imagine that you've practised on such occasions on a piano whose pedal mechanism is somehow set way too far off the floor and would therefore be a problem for anyone, not just you; moreover, a couple of books is a far more stable support (if needed) that a couple of stiletto heels!

Best,

Alistair

Yes, well it's obvious she wears them because of how they look, not to help her performance. If that's all you're saying then I think we can agree.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 01:22:14 PM
It should be noted that if a person wears heels almost all the time, the tendons become shortened, and then the motions for pedal actually become difficult from what is in fact a crippling effect. Just a thought.
Indeed so, especially the kind that Yuja wears.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 01:30:58 PM
Yes, well it's obvious she wears them because of how they look, not to help her performance. If that's all you're saying then I think we can agree.
Well, it isn't quite; it's not merely that they do not help her performance, they'll hinder it; as I mentioned earlier, imagine trying to negotiate two or all three pedals and changes between each pair of pedals while wearing such shoes which can only ever make matters more difficult! (OK, maybe she's one of those pianists who ignores the sostenuto pedal, but...).

I remain concerned about the high set pedals on an instrument on which you have practised, because they, too, are likely to made pedalling more difficult, not to say uncomfortable. I don't know what is the measurement between the floor and the tops of the pedals in that instrument but, on my Steinway Model C, it's almost 4.5cm, which is probably well less than half the length of some of those heels! - and I doubt that the standard for this pedal lyre setting has changed much, if at all, between the year of my piano's manufacture (1896) and today.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 02:17:26 PM
Well, it isn't quite; it's not merely that they do not help her performance, they'll hinder it; as I mentioned earlier, imagine trying to negotiate two or all three pedals and changes between each pair of pedals while wearing such shoes which can only ever make matters more difficult! (OK, maybe she's one of those pianists who ignores the sostenuto pedal, but...).

Have you ever tried it or are you just imagining what it would be like? I've never tried myself it but I do know how well people adapt to things like this. You say it hinders her performance but how do you know? Maybe it would hinder your performance because you aren't used to it but that's a different matter altogether. Keypeg's point about shortening tendons aside, I don't see any evidence, or hear any real argument against wearing heels at the piano. She plays brilliantly in heels, as you yourself have said, but if you can show me her playing consistently better in flats then I will happily concede my point. Otherwise I feel like you're just guessing that they hinder her performance.

I remain concerned about the high set pedals on an instrument on which you have practised, because they, too, are likely to made pedalling more difficult, not to say uncomfortable. I don't know what is the measurement between the floor and the tops of the pedals in that instrument but, on my Steinway Model C, it's almost 4.5cm, which is probably well less than half the length of some of those heels! - and I doubt that the standard for this pedal lyre setting has changed much, if at all, between the year of my piano's manufacture (1896) and today.

A little over 6cm is the height of the pedals on the piano I mentioned, so not that much higher. I start to feel the strain after about 1˝ hours. The best position is to have my heel flush with the pedal when it is up.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 02:36:19 PM
Have you ever tried it or are you just imagining what it would be like? I've never tried myself it but I do know how well people adapt to things like this. You say it hinders her performance but how do you know? Maybe it would hinder your performance because you aren't used to it but that's a different matter altogether. Keypeg's point about shortening tendons aside, I don't see any evidence, or hear any real argument against wearing heels at the piano. She plays brilliantly in heels, as you yourself have said, but if you can show me her playing consistently better in flats then I will happily concede my point. Otherwise I feel like you're just guessing that they hinder her performance.
I wasn not seeking to compare her performance with and without stilettos, especially since I've hear far more of her on recordings and broadasts than I have seen her perform live. I cannot vouch for the extent to which anyone might find themselves having to adapt to pedalling while wearing such shoes but am attempting to apply logic to this in terms of the height above floor level of the tops of the pedals.

That said, whilst I had indeed never tried it, I did just now by placing my ordinary heeled shoes on top of a book around 3cm high and found that this impeded my pedalling ability to the point where I could hardly do it at all (OK, I'm not a pianist) and I cannot imagine that continuing to do this would enable me to become accustomed to it (and why bother ayway?).

Keypeg's point is also a very valid one that applies to everyone wearing such things often and long enough, not just pianists!

A little over 6cm is the height of the pedals on the piano I mentioned, so not that much higher. I start to feel the strain after about 1˝ hours. The best position is to have my heel flush with the pedal when it is up.
Well, that's certainly higher than average (what piano is it, by the way?) but it's still not immense, especially compared to the length of heel that Yuja is seen wearing which would be well above pedal height, this requiring her to force-flex her ankles unnecessarily in order to depress the pedals. Again, it's not just the height issue but also the fact that spindly stilettos are by definition far harder to manage pedalling with than the couple of books that you use with the piano that you mention - and as for controling half-dealling / half-damping in them, well, I think that this would speak for itself!

Also, I mentioned, I've never encountered a male pianist who would do this or feel any necessity to do it, yet I cannot see why it would be an issue for certain female ones. Why suffer unnecessary ankle strain when there are enough difficulties already without adding to them!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 04:45:40 PM
I definitely think Hinty should try a short dress and stiletto heels! And please post a video...

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 04:50:46 PM
I definitely think Hinty should try a short dress and stiletto heels! And please post a video...
Funnily enough, I cannot agree - and I'm not a pianist anyway! I trust that this is not disappointing news.

Even then, for women, the skimpiest of apparel does not help with piano playing and those stupidly dangerous heels can only hinder it.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 07:27:41 PM
Funnily enough, I cannot agree - and I'm not a pianist anyway! I trust that this is not disappointing news.

Even then, for women, the skimpiest of apparel does not help with piano playing and those stupidly dangerous heels can only hinder it.

Best,

Alistair

It gets people to show up their concerts though.

I advertised my senior recital with a shirtless pic of me in a blazer and it worked lol

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 07:31:19 PM

I advertised my senior recital with a shirtless pic of me in a blazer and it worked lol

But of course you cheated and the poor audience was disappointed  >:(

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 07:47:08 PM
But of course you cheated and the poor audience was disappointed  >:(

I walk around the house shirtless all the time and the piano is next to the window so they can come see me at my crib

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 08:42:13 PM
I wasn not seeking to compare her performance with and without stilettos… but am attempting to apply logic…

Well, clearly it's a more important issue for you than it is for me so I give up. If her heels are hindering her performance as you have determined then all I can say is that it doesn't show. And it certainly hasn't hurt her career.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 08:50:13 PM
I presume she wouldn't wear them if it was deleterious to her pedalling.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: December 04, 2017, 09:24:51 PM

Kevin Bowyer (the organist, should people not know and if they don't mind my mentioning this on a piano forum) is down to play Sorabji's Organ Symphony No. 2 at Hamburg's Elbphilharmonie on 20 May 2018. OK, so
1) no one will see him perform it even though they have tickets for the event
2) he's only moderately well known in Germany
3) Sorabji's not at all well known in Germany
4) the piece plays for more than 8 hours + two intervals totalling at least an hour and a quarter
5) the entire work is shot through with some of the most challenging writing ever for the instrument and
6) organ music is in any case a specialist area)
and, therefore, one would not expect a large audience, even if Kevin was the world's most adept keyboard showman.
The fact is that the hall holds 2,100 but this event has been sold out six months before it's due to take place. Why have that number of people purchased tickets to show up at this event? It sure ain't because what those who've done so are expecting to see him wear when he does it!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: December 04, 2017, 09:25:46 PM
I presume she wouldn't wear them if it was deleterious to her pedalling.
You would assume that, would you not, yet how can it not be so?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: December 04, 2017, 09:28:46 PM
Well, clearly it's a more important issue for you than it is for me so I give up. If her heels are hindering her performance as you have determined then all I can say is that it doesn't show. And it certainly hasn't hurt her career.
It isn't that important to me, not least because (a) it's none of my business and (b) most of my experience of her playing is, as I've said, listening only and not watching. It just seems daft to me to impose upon oneself such physical restrictions, especially if, by so doing, she lays herself up problems for the future.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 02:56:58 AM
Kevin Bowyer (the organist, should people not know and if they don't mind my mentioning this on a piano forum) is down to play Sorabji's Organ Symphony No. 2 at Hamburg's Elbphilharmonie on 20 May 2018. OK, so
1) no one will see him perform it even though they have tickets for the event
2) he's only moderately well known in Germany
3) Sorabji's not at all well known in Germany
4) the piece plays for more than 8 hours + two intervals totalling at least an hour and a quarter
5) the entire work is shot through with some of the most challenging writing ever for the instrument and
6) organ music is in any case a specialist area)
and, therefore, one would not expect a large audience, even if Kevin was the world's most adept keyboard showman.
The fact is that the hall holds 2,100 but this event has been sold out six months before it's due to take place. Why have that number of people purchased tickets to show up at this event? It sure ain't because what those who've done so are expecting to see him wear when he does it!

Best,

Alistair

Okay and???

Other people use sex to sell their concerts.  It's not innappropriate.  Whats every opera ever about?  Sex!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 02:59:56 AM
It isn't that important to me, not least because (a) it's none of my business and (b) most of my experience of her playing is, as I've said, listening only and not watching. It just seems daft to me to impose upon oneself such physical restrictions, especially if, by so doing, she lays herself up problems for the future.

Best,

Alistair

You're literally getting on her about her SHOES.

I don't wear heels, but I honestly don't think it messes with her playing... cause she still does it and it sounds fine.  Otherwise she wouldn't wear them

And It might hinder your playing but she's not you so... *shrugs*

Offline betreich

• PS Gold Member
Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 03:28:34 AM
I am trying to take this thread seriously, but it has given me the best laugh I have had all week...thankyou!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert