Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How Much Do you Practice?  (Read 7934 times)

Offline Pianostudy

• PS Silver Member
How Much Do you Practice?
on: January 19, 2005, 11:13:24 PM
I was just wondering how much you serious pianists practice?   I am a piano performance major in college, and I tend to practice about 3-4 hours daily.  How much do you practice?

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Re: How Much Do you Practice?
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 11:39:22 PM
https://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,2265.0.html

https://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,905.0.html

Personally, I practice anywhere from 2-3 hours per day (more or less), not all in one chunk but broken up into spaces where I can fit it in.

Peace,
Bri

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 03:56:03 AM
about 3 hours in the morning, and then usually another hour at some other point in the day when i can fit it in
rach on!

Offline Pianostudy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 04:06:17 AM
How much do you all practice, and what skill level are you at?  Do you study seriously?  In college?

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 04:43:12 AM
7 or 8 hours on the weekdays, 10 hours on the weekends. High school, currently working on....Rachmaninoff Second Concerto, Mephisto Waltz, Beethoven Opus 7, Opus 10 and 25 Chopin Etudes, Chopin 4th Ballade.

Offline Troldhaugen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 06:12:16 AM
Wow.....that's obviously a lot of practice....I usually practice 30 min everyday...I mean at least....(I'm a student, and have lots of schoolwork...) I think one benefits more from several shorter practices than one long, continuous one.   

Offline PianoStudentReady2Perform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 06:27:44 AM
Steinwayguy: which chopin etudes?  And you can't be working on all those simultaneously?  One could not possibly master all of those at once.

Offline jason2711

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 09:30:50 PM
7 or 8 hours on the weekdays, 10 hours on the weekends. High school, currently working on....Rachmaninoff Second Concerto, Mephisto Waltz, Beethoven Opus 7, Opus 10 and 25 Chopin Etudes, Chopin 4th Ballade.

you practice that much... and you're at high school??  I really don't understand how you can physically do that but more power to you! 

I'm in grammar school here (northern ireland equivalent of high school) and can squeeze in 3 hours of practising on weekdays if i do a minimal ammount of homework (i'd probably only do the minimum anyay ::)), before i have to stop practising due to tiredness.  I tend to average about 2 hours a day... maybe more if i have the time... less if i don't

weekends are a bit longer.. but i often don't get the time

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 09:43:26 PM
I'm at school right now, and I usually get about 3 hours in every day... at home, though, when I have no classes, it's probably closer to 6 or 7 hours a day -- usually in one sitting.
Favorite pianists include Pollini, Casadesus, Mendl (from the Vienna Piano Trio), Hungerford, Gilels, Argerich, Iturbi, Horowitz, Kempff, and I suppose Barenboim (gotta love the CSO). Too many others.

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 04:14:35 AM
Steinwayguy: which chopin etudes? And you can't be working on all those simultaneously? One could not possibly master all of those at once.

12 down, 12 to go.

Offline Awakening

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 02:25:20 AM

I don't understand how you can practice that much either.  Let's say you get off school at 3, which is when I get off school (seems to be about the average time for high schools).  Add 7 hours of practice onto 3pm, and it's 10 o'clock.  Add another hour on for meals and bathroom.  It's 11 o'clock.  Add another hour on for homework (I assume you get some everyday).  That's 12 o'clock.  Then you go to bed at 12, get up the next day, and repeat.    That's just for 7 hours, though.  8 hours a day would mean you go to bed at 1.   Ok, theoretically, that almost makes sense. However, that's assuming you have zero other reponsibilities.  You don't have a family who ever needs your help around the house, you don't play any sports, you don't ever have to go to the store to get anything, you don't ever read, you don't ever watch TV or movies, you never play videogames, you never work out, you never take showers, you never talk on the phone, and you never hang out with your friends.  Ok, I suppose that maybe it is, again, theoretically possible that you do none of these things.  That being said, I cannot believe in any way that you practice the piano for 7-8 hours a day, and 10 on the weekend.  It sounds to me like you are exaggerating to make yourself feel good, exaggerating to make others think you are more dedicated than you are, lying blatantly because you're a compulsive liar, lying because you find it amusing, or have a very bad concept of time.  I'm sorry, but no matter what, I can't believe you.

And another thing...why not give us a link to recordings of you playing all these marvelous, difficult pieces you claim to be playing, including the 12 Chopin Etudes you supposedly have learned?  It'd be very interesting for me to hear. 

Offline Troldhaugen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 02:37:03 AM
Ouch!

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 02:47:30 AM
Ouch indeed...  :D

I've found that I practice much less when I have less obligations in general - I'm a Freshman in college, and I've been on Winter break for the past 5 weeks. I've practiced maybe 2 or 3 hours a day, sometimes 4 or 5 or 6, but generally I've been awfully lazy. Whereas during the semester, I practiced a solid 4 hours every day and didn't think twice about it, even with classes and homework and socializing and such. I've done 10 hours once in my life - 9:30-3:30, and then 7-11, on a Saturday. (I stopped at 3:30 because I noticed that I'd gotten pretty hungry, having skipped breakfast and practiced my way through what's noramlly my lunchtime...)

Speaking for myself, more than 5 or 6 hours in a day is nearly impossible, if it's all dedicated, honest practice. I could mess around improvising and sightreading indefinitely, but to seriously make progress on my repertoire and work out every little detail which always needs working out takes a large amount of concentration. It just gets exhausting after a while, mentally speaking, and when I practice more, I usually end up doing more harm than good. There's no special award to get for practicing 10 hours a day, other than tendonitis if you go about things wrong. And furthermore, I'd say it's even more useful to become a more well-rounded person - music stems from everything in you, and although there've been a number of successful, lonely, practice-or-perish pianists, I would guess that the majority of great pianists spent the (small) majority of their time away from the piano. Take Horowitz, for instance - he loved science, specifically physics. Rubinstein loved to party and socialize. And their music certainly did not suffer for it.
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 03:10:07 AM
Instead of making totally invalid generalizations and misguiding yourself to believe you know what my lifestyle is, you should probably inquire as to how I fit 8 hours of practicing in. I am at a conservatory and I know what it takes, so I do what it takes. I have four hours of classes every day, one hour of meals, I go to bed at 2:00, class starts at 8. I have fours or five hours of classes and two hours of homework. That's 12 hours. I couldn't care less whether or not you believe me. It's called dedication, maybe you should look into it.

There's no special award to get for practicing 10 hours a day

I'm intelligent enough to have realized that I might not be as talented as others, but I make up for it because I love music, and I love it to the point of practicing 10 hours a day. I never said I enjoy practicing so much, but I know it has to be done if I want to go to a place like Juilliard. I guess none of you have standards nearly as high as mine, so be it.

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 04:20:03 AM
Speaking of "totally invalid generilizations" -

quote] I guess none of you have standards nearly as high as mine, so be it.

For starters, Julliard is not a ticket to success and fame. Neither is Curtis, or MSM, or any other big-name school of that caliber. I base my standards on how well I play, whether I'm playing for a panel of famous professors or a few friends at home or simply for myself.

As far as love for music is concerned, if I loved music more, I still wouldn't practice more. Perhaps I'd go to more concerts, listen to more Cds, read more theory - but I've found my own limit to productive, good, concentrated practice, and I don't feel envious of those who can spend a nicely rounded 10 hours in a practice room working away on a few passages or a few pieces.

I apologize if I seemed to be deliberately contradicting you. I spoke only for myself in my post, and if you can practice so much in a productive, useful manner, that's perfectly fine. However, I interperet your words to claim that I have neither love nor dedication to music, which is rather foolish, if it indeed was your intent. You seem rather addled when someone decides for themselves how you live based on a single post or two - and then you turn around and make some very rude, uninformed opinions about how I think and feel about music, in just the same vein.

Such a heated discussion...  :)
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline Troldhaugen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 04:36:59 AM
I think it's always great to see someone work very hard to attain his/her goal. But, seriously 8 hours of practice every day sound too much to me, which means you have no time to do other important things like interacting with other people....etc. Give yourself a little break. ;) 

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 05:08:26 AM
Bottom line, whether the guy is lying or not:

Who cares?

Whether or not Steinwayguy practices 7-10 hours per day has absolutely no effect on anyone's life.  You might as well just accept his answer to the thread's question, because, really, what difference does it make?

Peace,
Bri

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 23, 2005, 06:26:32 AM
I never said I enjoy practicing so much, but I know it has to be done if I want to go to a place like Juilliard. I guess none of you have standards nearly as high as mine, so be it.

Please don't generalise. I practise no more than 2 hours a day on a normal day, 3 hours a day on a good day. I practise 4 days a week.

And I would be extremely surprised if your standards were any higher than mine.

Offline PianoMan7753

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2005, 06:40:01 AM
I usually end up practicing about two to two and a half hours per day. I go to school and work so things get kind of crazy at times.

Offline dreamaurora

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 23, 2005, 08:18:47 AM
I think it is very important as a pianist to have a well-rounded life. I myself practice around 6-8 hours a day. But take note that I am teaching piano full time at home now and preparing auditions to go to conservatories. In stark contrast, when I was in school or working, I could put in at most 3 hours of concentrated practice every day, and that is already pushing my physical and mental limit to the max, which needless to say, was not very healthy.  I see no point in comparing the amount of practice hours from person to person, because each person is simply different. I truly believe that as a pianist, our mental and spiritual health is simply important. I am close to my friends, family, and active in church. I watch nice programmes on TVs, plays computer games, does running seriously, attend concerts and recitals, go out to have chat and meals with friends and families, etc, and does ministries in church. Sure, people like SteinwayGuy may think all these are waste of time and hence I am 'not dedicated enough' and my 'standard' is not as high as him'. But I'm sure in the future I will be a much happier person instead of a grumply and socially challenged person which ironically many musicians are ( not all though, I met some nice and friendly musicians too, although I met more eccentric and obssessed ones ). Sure, I may not be able to play Rach 2 now, but who the hell cares?

Offline Awakening

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 23, 2005, 08:28:41 AM
Instead of making totally invalid generalizations and misguiding yourself to believe you know what my lifestyle is, you should probably inquire as to how I fit 8 hours of practicing in. I am at a conservatory and I know what it takes, so I do what it takes. I have four hours of classes every day, one hour of meals, I go to bed at 2:00, class starts at 8. I have fours or five hours of classes and two hours of homework. That's 12 hours. I couldn't care less whether or not you believe me. It's called dedication, maybe you should look into it.

I'm intelligent enough to have realized that I might not be as talented as others, but I make up for it because I love music, and I love it to the point of practicing 10 hours a day. I never said I enjoy practicing so much, but I know it has to be done if I want to go to a place like Juilliard. I guess none of you have standards nearly as high as mine, so be it.
t
You're right, maybe I shouldn't have said those things.  It just blows me away, the idea of practicing that much.  Your dedication is admirable, but I can never imagine a lifestyle like that.  I love music as well--it's probably the single most important aspect of my life, relationships with human beings aside--but I am a far cry from being able to play piano for so long.  I might dedicate 8 hours of my day to music--an hour to composition, an hour or two to playing, and then several hours listening to it while doing other things, but the repetition of sitting there practicing the piano for 7 hours a day is just too much for me.  I didn't mean to sound so harsh.  Actually, I did mean to sound that harsh, but I apologize and retract my previous statement.  I bet you'll be an incredible pianist soon with such practice, if you are not already.  For me, it's just over the top.

Offline jason2711

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 23, 2005, 09:55:53 PM
well, thanks for explaining to us how you do that.  Physically, i think 2-3 hours on a school night is what I'm limited to at best, but its getting me good progress, and i to hope to go to a top music conversatory.  Obviously not somewhere like julliard, but good enough so i can devote my life to playing the piano.  Right now, i don't, but that's because i can't.   I have a hectic amount of school work on and don't want to just write that away simply because its nice to have options (and my parents would kill me :o), i also play the bassoon which is enjoyable because it has enabled me to work with other musicians than i would have before, and has enhanced my understanding more than if i had have just played the piano, in fact, playing in an orchestra accompanying barry douglas playing the tchaicovksy (i can never spell that right :-[) piano concerto inspired me to become a pianist.  I have to get a bus in the mornings at 8 am and don't get home til 4.30 so factoring in minimal homework, eating, watching a little tv (the mind needs a rest apart from sleeping), i get three hours in before i feel to tired to go on (lets face it... i'll only practice badly and annoy myself if i'm falling asleep).  Although only 3 hours a day are spent piano i spend a lot of the time on the bus, in bed or evening in french classes thinking about music and playing... thinking of ideas in my head... new repertoire... inventing little tunes.  My friends often laugh at me when they see me day dreaming and my hands going to one of my pieces  ;D

in school holidays i stick about 6hours in, with breaks to listen to music and research a bit. About one hour of that is spent playing other pieces... which i believe have their own use... sightreading, sensitivity, music understanding, keeping my sanity ::)

Good luck and i hope things work out for you ;D

Offline argerich_smitten

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: January 24, 2005, 12:49:00 AM
Please don't generalise. I practise no more than 2 hours a day on a normal day, 3 hours a day on a good day. I practise 4 days a week.

And I would be extremely surprised if your standards were any higher than mine.

Jeez paul, you practice that little?  I'm suprised for a couple of reasons.  First, as incredible as you are, 10 hours a week is astonishing.  You must practice with perfect efficiency (my practicing habits went out the window completely about a year ago).  I'm also suprised that someone with your love of music could keep there hands off the piano for 3 days a week (obvious flaw in my logic is the possibility that you classify 'playing' and 'practicing' in different catagories). 
Most Impressive

...I guess to make this post a little more thread relevant, I will put forth the question

Do most of you classify playing and practicing into the same catagory? 

Offline chozart

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 24, 2005, 01:57:36 AM
well I get home at like 6-7 each day.. so I practice total about 2 hours a day (I squeeze in time free periods at school). Sometimes, don't find time at all.
But LAST week, we had show choir competitions.. my fingers sure got their exercise. >_o Hour in morning, afternoon, and 4-5 (at least) in evening. Ugh..

well.. it's over, lol. Another month before it comes again for the next comp.

But generally.. I don't like to practice more than 2 hours in a row. Frequent practices that are shorter are what I prefer, though sometimes I'll just enjoy a nice 5 hour one or something.
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Offline op.109

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 02:17:41 AM
I really believe that, unless one is a full time professional concert performer, one can get by very well on 2-3 hours a day or less.  I rarely do more personally, and I know plenty of conservatory students as well as a number of really excellent adult pianists who feel similarly.  Come to think of it, I've never personally met anybody who practices seriously for more than 5 hours a day.  Sure, they may sit behind the keyboard, but serious practice is a mentally tiring activity requiring utmost concentration, and those who overpractice, in my opinion, may be doing so to compensate for poor practice habits.

Also, please don't deride the standards of those who don't feel 8 hours of practice a day is necessary.

Anyway, to answer the question, my practice time is variable, ranging from 1 to 2 hours on weekdays to about 3 hours on weekends.  High school doesn't allow me any more time during the week.

Offline James_Robert

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 24, 2005, 06:28:14 PM
I see from having read this forum that a large number of members are young and in high school or college.  I can easily understand and admire how you guys practice many hours each day.  There are others of us for who the piano is our main hobby. I, for example measure my practice time in minutes.  Ten minutes here, 15 there.   Nonetheless, it is possible to continue to learn new substantial pieces, it just takes longer.  There was a time when I thought about giving up the piano because I thought if I could only play a few minutes each day and not every day at that, why bother.  I have since learned that a few minutes at the piano is better than no piano at all.  So I practice, a few minutes at a time, and I always have fun. James

Offline Buffy123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 09:31:04 PM
It doesn't matter how many hours you practice, but what happens in that amount of time.  I can practice 10 hours but learn nothing and be distracted.  Or I can practice intensely for 2 hours and do a great job.  But you have to have goals everyday.  For instance memorize 2 pages.  Don't get up until thats actually done.  It might take 1/2 an hour or 5. 
Irina

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: January 24, 2005, 10:00:13 PM

...The higher you aim, the harder you fall...

Offline min@m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: January 25, 2005, 03:39:54 AM
I was just wondering how much you serious pianists practice?   I am a piano performance major in college, and I tend to practice about 3-4 hours daily.  How much do you practice?
  Im a steinway artist and im doing many international piano competitions these days.  Id say if you do a good 4 hours normally and about 6 hours (maybe starting couple months before anything major) youll be fine.

Offline puma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: January 25, 2005, 06:13:40 AM
3-4 hours a day is very good, indeed, if you are a piano major or a career pianist.  I imagine career pianists spend that much more time on the piano - they probably put in 8 hours without breaking a sweat.  I myself spend at least 2 hours a day - I aim for the 3 hour mark but promise myself to deliver at least two.  Then it's another hour for the guitar, and another for voice.  Then I leave at least two hours open for listening to music, and another for composition. 
    What's strange is that even though the average adult will spend up to 40 hours per week watching television, and maybe 20+ hours on the computer (maybe more) we think nothing of it.  But if one puts his or her television time into piano time, the benefits are great.  I more or less gave up a lot of my television time a year ago to spend more time on the piano and have been pleased with the results.
    I also imagine that some people get upset when others say "I spend 8,10, or even 12 hours" a day practicing because a) they feel that that amount of time spent practicing is silly or b) it makes them feel more humble about their practice time.  And some people are just plain jealous - "I wish I had 8 hours a day to put into piano practice! Why don't I?"  I think some of it stems from the fact that maybe their parents forced them to practice as a kid, and they didn't understand the privilege back then - now that they have to work, they wish they could have more time to practice.  In conclusion, the old saying is true: practice makes perfect.  So whatever you put into it, you will get out of it. 

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: January 25, 2005, 04:40:09 PM
At the end of the day what is Practice and what is it's purpose? REALLY it's about getting done what needs to be done! If you have chamber music a concerto technical exams and recitals to be giving then you need to practice a LOT more than someone who has a local fetival where they play a sonata. It's really obvious that the ammount is relative to the task. All I can say is I'm impressed Steinwayguy that you can achieve all that in only 10 hrs a day practice... some famous names have taken years to achieve the same (goodluck with all your assesments). I am in my final year at Conservatoire and I have come to realise you get out what you put in. The only way to get through repertoire is to practice like crazy. and I mean CRAZY! a professional repertoire dosen't grow on trees its MADE by hard work and I know of people in competitions (like Leeds etc) who practice 12 hrs a day every day before a big competition. Call it dedication - call it what you like, but there are times when it's necessary! I am not intending to make my career as a soloist (I didn't practice so hard until I hit 16) but I have practiced upto 11/12 hrs at the busy points of the year (any conservatoire student will know these places) and this sometimes means 1/2 an hour or an hr per piece. If you learn voulume your practice has to be voluminous unless you can memorize pieces in like an hour ( and I know people who do that too!!) I average at about 6 - 8 hrs monday to friday I do less on saturday as I have to do the domestic thing as well as catch up with reasearch and academic work (it dosen't do itself). Sunday I have OFF as I am in church from 8am till 11pm and often play in the services. SOMEONE touched on this but I have to say it's not always fun! Sometimes you look at your keys and think WHY??! but at the end of the day when you have a deadline and you know you have to put something before an audience thats a motivator! :) It's not always horrible  - it's fun alot of the time. As I get older though the weight of the vastness of the repertory gets heavier and Liszt transcendentals , Chopins Ballades etc etc are not the kind of music you learn in  a week or 2 weeks unless you are an EXCEPTIONAL talent - and there may well be one out there reading this  - my hommage to you! but as I said at the top each person will have different abilities and pressures on them. Happy practising to one and all!! ;)

Offline IllBeBach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: January 25, 2005, 07:40:01 PM
When I was in high school I used to practice about 6 hours a day and 10 on weekends, and I wasn't in a conservatory.  I would get up at 5 am and practice a couple of hours before school.  I find now that I simply can't do that much concentrated practice, because my mind becomes too fatigued.  It makes me wonder how many of those hours of pounding the keys I did when I was younger were actually worthwhile practice (I mean with absolute concentrated and mental focus).

Now I still do about 3 to 5 hours a day work on my solo music, but I did figure that last semestre at one point--between demonstrating at the piano for students, accompanying singers and instrumentalists, and practicing solos--I was playing the piano probably about 13 hours or more a day.  Next month I accompanying for high school instrumental and voice competitions--about 60+ different accompaniments--so I'll probably be playing that much or more again.  Good thing I like to play!
Soli Deo Gloria

Offline MTS_JSOT

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: January 26, 2005, 05:52:02 PM
Hey all, I'm new here. Just wanted to post that I practice 4-5 hours a day, and currently working on Chopin's 2nd Etude, and the third movement to Beethoven's 30th Sonata, and Gershwins I've Got Rhythm Variations.

Offline Pianostudy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: January 26, 2005, 09:01:29 PM
Oh I love those I've Got Rhythm Variations.. they are so much fun to learn and play.

Offline Bartolomeo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: January 26, 2005, 10:50:53 PM
I split my practice time between piano and organ, and to some extent keyboard, and which I practice the more depends on what sort of upcoming commitments are on my calendar.  If I am playing organ for church services every Sunday, I usually practice that about 2 hours a day during the week, working around my day job, with a longer session on Saturday - and I just fit in piano whenever I have the time and energy at home.

Right now I just have piano gigs on the calendar and so I'm mainly working on that.  I try to average two hours a day but it doesn't always work that way.  Job, kids.

I have found that I can't make sustained progress for more than 2-3 hours at a time, though I can put in both a morning and an evening (or late afternoon) session if my schedule permits (which is rare).

I have found that rehearsals and gigs, even if modest, are helpful in concentrating my mind on music and performing, even though they aren't the sort of deliberate work that practicing is.

I spend a good deal of other time on music.  Reading, theory, transcribing, selecting music, dealing with logistics and maintenance issues, going to concerts and recitals, supporting my kids in their musical efforts.  It's not all just practice.

Offline PianoStudentReady2Perform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: January 27, 2005, 11:19:51 PM
I practice 10 hours a day, every day.  I am a senior in high school, although am home schooled so that I can fit in piano.  I have almost mastered Tchaikovsky concerto no. 1, I mastered Rach 3 last month, and I'm working on Rach 2 and Rach 1 right now, as well as his sonatas no.1 and 2.  I'll be starting La Campanella and Mephisto in a couple weeks when I'm done with the Rach sonatas.  I'm intending to go to Julliard next year.  I like the site!

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: January 28, 2005, 09:16:00 PM
I'm a freshman piano performance major at a conservatory, I have bruised my hand badly.  It has been a month since I have been able to touch a piano.

Anyway, this year I started getting into the habit of 4-5 hour practice days.  I recently baught a timer, and I stop it whenever I'm on break, or fiddling around.

I would like to believe that I would be doing that now.  :(  not playing piano sucks.

Offline jason2711

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: January 28, 2005, 09:46:16 PM

Offline puma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: January 29, 2005, 05:13:30 AM
Sorry to hear about the hand accident.  In time, your hand will eventually heal and you'll be able to play again - but you can use the time to learn more theory, do things you weren't able to do while away from the piano.  I myself suffered a hand accident my first year at college while skateboarding - for two days I couldn't use my hand for ANYTHING - it took about two weeks for it to heal completely.  During that time I weighed the decision of skateboarding v.s. piano, decided I'd invested a helluva lot more time into the keyboard and guitar so I gave up skateboarding.  You just don't heal as faster when you get older.  Good luck to you and hope everything returns to normal fast.

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: January 30, 2005, 07:33:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the hand accident.  In time, your hand will eventually heal and you'll be able to play again - but you can use the time to learn more theory, do things you weren't able to do while away from the piano.  I myself suffered a hand accident my first year at college while skateboarding - for two days I couldn't use my hand for ANYTHING - it took about two weeks for it to heal completely.  During that time I weighed the decision of skateboarding v.s. piano, decided I'd invested a helluva lot more time into the keyboard and guitar so I gave up skateboarding.  You just don't heal as faster when you get older.  Good luck to you and hope everything returns to normal fast.

thanks a lot.

It is kind of funny you mentioned that, because a while ago I decided to quit boarding cause I knew that eventually I would hurt my hand. 

I also have been playing a lot of guitar, for some reason, i'm able to do that with my hands current state.  I actually played a show yesterday, seems we have some things in common eh?

Offline Awakening

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: January 30, 2005, 08:33:22 PM
It doesn't matter how many hours you practice, but what happens in that amount of time.  I can practice 10 hours but learn nothing and be distracted.  Or I can practice intensely for 2 hours and do a great job.  But you have to have goals everyday.  For instance memorize 2 pages.  Don't get up until thats actually done.  It might take 1/2 an hour or 5. 
Irina

It's true, it really is about quality of practice rather than quantity.  If yo'ure working on three peices, and you practice each for an hour, that's three hours.  I happen to be working on three pieces right now, so I consider three hours a day of practice my absolute maximum.  I can't actually practice a single piece for more than an hour without finding that my mind and  body get fatigued, and I started to form poor habits.  For example, yesterday, I spot-worked on Chopin Etude 10/12 with my lefthand for a half an hour, and I stopped after acoomplishing what I set out to do, because my hand was getting tired and I wanted to work on Rachmaninoff as well.  I worked on that until I was satisfied, and then only played for a few more minutes here and there throughout the day.  I basically play until I feel that I have made decent progress, and then stop.  I don't like to overdo it and hurt my hands--my left wrist in particular has been giving me trouble recently.  I actually practice about an hour a day on average.  Sometimes up to 2 hours or more, but some days only a half an hour or less.  Maybe 10 hours a week.  Anyway, quality--not quantity. 

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: February 01, 2005, 04:47:06 AM
Anyway, quality--not quantity.

But if you know how to practice very efficiently for 8 to 10 hours . . .

Also,
I'm a freshman piano performance major at a conservatory, I have bruised my hand badly.

Which hand? You could always learn some Godowsky etudes ;)

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: February 01, 2005, 06:23:03 AM
Right hand, and I'm actually learning a Scriabin Nocturn (Lhevinne edition), and possibly his prelude.

Offline lilpep4ever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: February 02, 2005, 02:51:55 AM
hmmm...i'm a student and my mom says i'm suppose to practice an hour everyday....but since i have alot of math homework....* i hate math* so now i probably practice 3 minutes...HEHE...but i like to play it whenever i have the time. PIANO is very IMPORTANT to me...even though it's not fun when you always get yelled at for not playing it right.  :-X  ;D
( ( * / / - -* - > > EARLY PIANO PLAYER < < - *- - / / * ) )

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: February 02, 2005, 05:44:00 AM
Right hand, and I'm actually learning a Scriabin Nocturn (Lhevinne edition), and possibly his prelude.

Ravel Concerto?

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: February 02, 2005, 11:25:35 PM
i have a response in a question...

is 30-45 minutes okay?...i couldnt imagine sitting there for 2-3..even 10 hours like some have claimed...i'v only been playing for not even a month..so is it that the longer you have been playing..the more experienced u r..the more one should practice?....or should i buckle down and hit the 2-3 hour marks?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Bacfokievrahms

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: February 03, 2005, 03:24:50 AM
Probably doesn't matter much when you're starting out but when you're working on repertoire (pre-concert notwithstanding) 2-3 hours should be good.

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: February 03, 2005, 05:33:07 AM
No, more than two hours is absolutely ridiculous, not to mention pointless, for someone who has been playing for not even a month. We practice 10 hours a day because of the repertoire we are working on, and the level we want to get it to. Some days I struggle to really feel great about what I did in my 8 hours of practicing. As you get experienced you will find more and more things to pick at, and the repertoire you're working on gets thicker and thicker. I don't think you should practice more than 45 minutes a day for the first month, the first six months even. I practice 10 hours a day because I have to.

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: February 03, 2005, 07:52:57 PM

Ravel Concerto?

Thought about it, but my hand will rejuvinate soon enough, and I won't be committed to it.

Offline eccsolutions

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: February 05, 2005, 05:59:11 AM
Although this topic is quite exhausted, I'll add.  As an example since we all learn differently: If you practice a piece for 10 minutes or 1 hour, the very next session (typically several hours to a day later) your progress will be the same regardless.  Getting the optimal amount of practice in is trial and error.  This same idea is used when studying for a subject in school (short sessions).  You will only retain so much of what you learned in each session.  Anything in excess is forgotten.  In conclusion, break up your practices into shorter sessions.

Well, there you have it.  My .02 cents.

- Paul
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert