Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: I hate all non pianists who run competitions with piano in them  (Read 1819 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
I did two concerto competitions in two weeks and both of them *** sucked. Not to sound like a sore loser but it actually wasn't my fault!

First competition THE KEYS GOT *** STUCK (memory slip)

Second competition THEY DIDNT LOCK THE *** WHEELS AND I HAD TO LOCK THE WHEELS MYSELF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PERFORMANCE (memory slip in two spots)

Maybe I actually am a sore loser but still *** them all.  (The competiton I just did is still going on so maybe I won who knows) If a non pianist is a judge or its run by non pianists I don't respect you.  How the *** could you let this happen???

And I hate the bullshit they pull when they're like 'wE tAke In CoNSideRatiOn tHe DiFfIcUlTy of ThE oRChEstRa PaRt'

*silence*

TRY PLAYING THE *** PIANO PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do you mean the difficulty of the orchestra part???  I HAVE MORE NOTES THAN THAN ALL THE ORCHESTRA PARTS COMBINED!!!
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Running competitions and not maintaining the pianos. Lol, what. You have the right to be pissed.

Offline pianoville

What the hell? Is this joke? I have never heard of something this bad before. I agree with mjames, you have the right to, and should be pissed.
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

• PS Silver Member
I had to wait till I had a rest period before I had to GET UP AND LOCK THE WHEELS

and 30 minutes before I went live  some random dude called me talking about how they couldn't find the key for the Hamburg Steinway so I had to run around and look for the *** key cause they suggested that I just play the concerto on one piano

Offline pianoville

I had to wait till I had a rest period before I had to GET UP AND LOCK THE WHEELS

and 30 minutes before I went live  some random dude called me talking about how they couldn't find the key for the Hamburg Steinway so I had to run around and look for the *** key cause they suggested that I just play the concerto on one piano

What is the name of this competition?
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

• PS Silver Member
What is the name of this competition?

It was my school concerto competition

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
instrumental juries are not much better, piano is just sort of there regardless of hard hard it is, and if the instrumentalist messes up, it's assumed you contributed. i played w a piano that the casters were not locked and the room had slant/pitch to the floor, the piano was literally rolling across the room bit by bit the entire performance, I had to play and adjust and slide my seat over and over without stopping and without of course messing up the instrumentalist, it's their jury so I'm supposed to hold it together even if the instrument is you know rolling away from me in the performance ....smh.

sorry you had to deal w/ stuff man.

Offline dogperson

It was my school concerto competition

I am so sorry!!!! Disgusting!  I will admit total naïveté  on my part, but even if the competition is sponsored by another department within the university, why doesn’t the piano department care enough to make sure the piano is in good shape and is not rolling across the stage on the date of the performance??   It seems like they would want to be sure that things are set up well for their own students   That is what I found most  disturbing about why this happened.  

My  perspective is that I am totally disgusted by people at work who think “it is not my job so I won’t be concerned“ .   I hope that is not what is happening to you with your own department....

• PS Silver Member

I am so sorry!!!! Disgusting!  I will admit total naïveté  on my part, but even if the competition is sponsored by another department within the university, why doesn’t the piano department care enough to make sure the piano is in good shape and is not rolling across the stage on the date of the performance??   It seems like they would want to be sure that things are set up well for their own students   That is what I found most  disturbing about why this happened.  

My  perspective is that I am totally disgusted by people at work who think “it is not my job so I won’t be concerned“ .   I hope that is not what is happening to you with your own department....

next quarter we got the entire piano department to decide to not do any chamber music or any large ensembles cause we're treated so poorly here.

Except we need to be in an ensemble to graduate so we're all just gonna do multiple groups of 8 hand ensemble work lol

So no piano trios, quintet any large ensemble sh*t that involves piano whatever

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member

My  perspective is that I am totally disgusted by people at work who think “it is not my job so I won’t be concerned“ .

I agree, but sometimes it's more like: Let's cut the funds from everywhere so that everyone works for 3 people and no-one has time (or skill) to do their jobs decently anymore...some will still try and sacrifice their free time and health, but that's not really our problem, is it?

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
This is just weird.  I have no frame of reference for this kind of thing.  Do you really have to do these?

My reaction is:  why are you wasting time on a freebie competition when your skills allow you to be paid?  You should be putting your time into real life paying gigs, not artificial competitions. 

My rule, don't leave the house for less than $200.  Of course I break it all the time, played for $75 last weekend, but it was only an hour, background music at a science fair. 
Tim

• PS Silver Member
This is just weird.  I have no frame of reference for this kind of thing.  Do you really have to do these?

My reaction is:  why are you wasting time on a freebie competition when your skills allow you to be paid?  You should be putting your time into real life paying gigs, not artificial competitions. 

My rule, don't leave the house for less than $200.  Of course I break it all the time, played for $75 last weekend, but it was only an hour, background music at a science fair. 

Winner got to play with an orchestra that's why I did it

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Did they give you time on the piano before the performance or just roll out the piano right before you played because someone else was on the stage?

I suppose something to keep in mind for the next time.  Given whatever the situation was (and what was it?) if you knew that ahead of time, is there anything you could have changed?  Is there a way to check for that on the next performance?  I remember learning to shake a piano a bit at first to make sure the wheels were positioned "horizontal" to me (---  instead of ||) so the piano had a hard time moving around.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Winner got to play with an orchestra that's why I did it

Ah, that's different. 

What's the pay for that?  You get at least union scale, right? 
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert