Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff etude  (Read 2164 times)

Offline joaosousa

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff etude
on: September 03, 2018, 10:43:37 AM
Hey guys,

I need to pick a rachmaninoff etude and I’m having some difficulty. Some of my last repertoire was Rachmaninoff’s prelude op. 32 no. 12, Scriabin’s Etude Op. 8 No. 12 and No. 5, Ravel’s Sonatine, Beethoven’s Op. 13 (Pathetique), Chopin’s Etude Op. 25 No. 12, No. 1 and Op. 10 No. 12.

Do you think any of these exudes would be too difficult (considered I played the pieces above fairly well):

- Op. 33 no. 2;
- Op. 33 no. 3;
- Op. 33 no. 4;
- Op. 39 no. 5. (Is this one too hard?)

Thank you in advance.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff etude
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:10:16 PM
take two weeks Practice each from them for about 30on to 1 hr each, after two weeks take.stock of the the two you have progressed the least on, set aside for later, of those left practice them about 1 hr each for 2 more weeks, then re evaluate at the end which one you LIKE the most , if you love both equally, choose the one that is least similar to what you've recently learned or played :)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:50:50 PM
You've played a lot of etudes lately...what makes you want to play another??
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline joaosousa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:24:35 PM
take two weeks Practice each from them for about 30on to 1 hr each, after two weeks take.stock of the the two you have progressed the least on, set aside for later, of those left practice them about 1 hr each for 2 more weeks, then re evaluate at the end which one you LIKE the most , if you love both equally, choose the one that is least similar to what you've recently learned or played :)

I can’t , I’m going to college in 2 weeks and I need to bring something to my professor :)

Offline joaosousa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:26:43 PM
You've played a lot of etudes lately...what makes you want to play another??

This is some of the stuff I’ve played in the last 3 years. I’ve played more sonatas and Bach preludes, etc. I just wrote this pieces because I feel their difficulties are more relatable to the etudes I’m considering. I need 2 etudes for college.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 07:16:08 PM
I see. I am a freshman pianist also..Good luck!
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline joaosousa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 08:29:04 PM
I see. I am a freshman pianist also..Good luck!

Thank you! Good luck to you too!

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:01:16 AM
You'll be fine with all of them. Have fun!
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 05:55:22 AM
go with 39/5 it's pianistic and so brilliantly written and the "easiest" of the hard ones imo but also so rewarding
OR go with 39/9 also kind of fits that description
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline jinfiesto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 11:11:27 PM
From what you've said, you seem capable enough to do whichever. If you have to learn on short notice (like 2 weeks) my process is basically to ask myself what piece I'd be ok with listening to non-stop for 2 weeks since that's basically what you're going to be doing. If I don't think I could listen to something constantly for X amount of time, I generally won't learn it on short notice. I don't want to be sick of it when I'm learning it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert