Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Mazurkas - Joseffy vs Alfred Masterworks  (Read 1614 times)

Offline shoshkalson

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Mazurkas - Joseffy vs Alfred Masterworks
on: July 21, 2019, 01:45:56 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to start working on the Chopin Mazurkas (after a long, long break).

I know that the recommended editions are either Ekier or Paderewski, but my husband will kill me if I spend much more on music at this time.

I have the Joseffy edition which doesn't seem to be very highly regarded these days.

I can get the Alfred Masterworks edition quite cheaply ($9.99 on Kindle).

Is the Alfred edition a real improvement over the Joseffy?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Shoshana

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Mazurkas - Joseffy vs Alfred Masterworks
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:30:06 AM
I would not hesitate to go with Joseffy as editor over the Alfred edition.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline samdm93

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Mazurkas - Joseffy vs Alfred Masterworks
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 11:34:14 PM
I have a few of the Alfred editions of Chopin's works and I personally love them. They're very good value and are good quality for what you pay for them. Most of them are edited by Willard A. Palmer who does a great job at retaining the copy-text and differentiating his own editorial material from the original. They're nicely laid-out and the bigger editions (Mazurkas, Polonaises) are ring-bound so they stay open on your piano stand. Also, they include length introductions, performance notes, and program notes which are all nice additions.

I don't own the Joseffy edition, but a quick Google confirmed for me that I'd still prefer the Alfred edition. Firstly, it's published by Schirmer who's editions I find too compact and the printing is sometimes small. The selling point of the Alfred is that they're newly engraved, whereas the Joseffy is just a reprint of a much older edition.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert