Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: [VIDEO] BACH/BUSONI: PRELUDE AND FUGUE IN D BWV 532  (Read 2347 times)

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
[VIDEO] BACH/BUSONI: PRELUDE AND FUGUE IN D BWV 532
on: August 18, 2019, 12:25:18 PM
The rarely played prelude and fugue originally for Organ, transcribed for Busoni. This work was largely made popular by Gilels who inspired me to make it my own as well. :)

Thanks for watching!
Aaron

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Re: [VIDEO] BACH/BUSONI: PRELUDE AND FUGUE IN D BWV 532
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 03:50:58 PM
Enjoyed this!!  Coincidentally, I have been listening all week to a new CD of mine:  Bach organ works transcribed for piano by D’albert (1864-1932) (Piano Classics, pianist Delucchi ).  The first piece on this CD is this same wonderful work.  I think D’albert (being a disciple of Liszt) maybe was more faithful to the Bach score, but the Busoni is a little flashier and GREAT.  Well done!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 09:37:48 PM
Bravo!

I am rather familiar with the organ original of this piece.  Many organists like to speed through the work, similar to the way pianists like to whiz through select Chopin Etudes.  It does after all have a rather flashy pedal part.  It is refreshing to hear another perspective of the piece.  One of my teachers used to say: the mark of a great composer is one that writes music that can be interpreted in many different ways, even perspectives that greatly contrast with one another, and yet still result in making fine music no matter how a performer approaches it. 

Your interpretation acknowledges its origins as an organ composition where an organist would use registration of stops to change tone colour, yet at the same time you play the music as if it were written for the piano, making use of the piano's resources.  I found it very musically sensitive and engaging to listen to. 

Please play more of these transcriptions.  ;D
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 06:02:32 PM
Enjoyed this!!  Coincidentally, I have been listening all week to a new CD of mine:  Bach organ works transcribed for piano by D’albert (1864-1932) (Piano Classics, pianist Delucchi ).  The first piece on this CD is this same wonderful work.  I think D’albert (being a disciple of Liszt) maybe was more faithful to the Bach score, but the Busoni is a little flashier and GREAT.  Well done!

Well 3 years late, but thank you! (I haven't logged in for a long time and when I posted something new, I saw these comments among many others. Apparently I didn't have email notifications.

I am glad to hear of your recommendation of the D'albert piano classics as well. I am listening (and enjoying) right now!
:)

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 06:06:51 PM
Bravo!

I am rather familiar with the organ original of this piece.  Many organists like to speed through the work, similar to the way pianists like to whiz through select Chopin Etudes.  It does after all have a rather flashy pedal part.  It is refreshing to hear another perspective of the piece.  One of my teachers used to say: the mark of a great composer is one that writes music that can be interpreted in many different ways, even perspectives that greatly contrast with one another, and yet still result in making fine music no matter how a performer approaches it. 

Your interpretation acknowledges its origins as an organ composition where an organist would use registration of stops to change tone colour, yet at the same time you play the music as if it were written for the piano, making use of the piano's resources.  I found it very musically sensitive and engaging to listen to. 

Please play more of these transcriptions.  ;D

Well 3 years late, but thank you! (I haven't logged in for a long time and when I posted something new, I saw these comments among many others. Apparently I didn't have email notifications.

I am so appreciative of your comments. Thank you for the kind words! I agree on all fronts. Over time, I have grown to perhaps here the prelude a little faster, but my approach is still the same. Lot's of color and variety of sound. I think the tempo should still be slower than most organ versions because the piano needs more time to expand and open up since it's tone color is so different. And it need more time to control dynamics and balance which would be automatically taken care of with different stops on the organ, etc.

I do hope to do more transcriptions some day. I love Bach in any form. There is just too much great music and not enough time to master it. I read through various things almost every day, but it's hard to really commit and finish any 1 piece any more when my interests are so broad from 1500's-modern day. haha.

Thanks again for the support!

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 10:45:02 AM
Holy crap that was amazing! Fantastic playing! You made me really want to learn this haha, but it looks awfully difficult at times. But you handle it like a true virtuoso!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert