\"\"
Piano Forum logo

What are the most important exercises for piano students? (Read 391 times)

Offline zackxoxo

• PS Silver Member
What are the most important exercises for piano students?
« on: June 02, 2020, 08:07:27 PM »
hey guys i have a question about piano what are the fundamental exercises for piano ? If you practice these daily you'll eventually play very well kind of exercises. I know there is Major,Minor scales and arpeggios and broken chords, hanon finger exercise. Apart from these i don't know any other exercises. is there anything else in the technical department one needs to learn ? I'm currently teaching my self to play and i want to know all the exercises so i can create a good schedule for myself.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: What are the most important exercises for piano students?
«Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:14:41 AM »
I create coordination exercises for some of my beginners who are uncoordinated. Understanding the circle of fifths/fourths and being able to construct all sorts of chord combinations with their inversions to allow you to control direction of chord progression is a good to further develop your chord/scale understanding. Studies and etudes  are a more musical path to take if you are technically focused.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.facebook.com/groups/348933611793249/

Offline pianoannieq

• PS Silver Member
Re: What are the most important exercises for piano students?
«Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 08:41:29 PM »
Hi Zackxoxo,

Scales and arpeggios are definitely very effective for improving one's technique. Practice them in different ways--legato, staccato, loud, soft, different rhythm patterns, intervals of 3rds, 6ths, and octaves. Long-short rhythm patterns in both hands also help with coordination. I would also recommend Dohnanyi's Essential Finger Exercises, available on imslp. They improve the weaker fingers and the later ones are really good for stretching. I hope this response helped!
I hate music (and sarcasm) :)

Beethoven Sonata 18
Liszt Rhapsodie Espagnole
Prokofiev Sonata 4 op.29
Scriabin Piano Concerto