Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Trouble lining up hands in Chopin op 25 no 2  (Read 1260 times)

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Trouble lining up hands in Chopin op 25 no 2
on: June 05, 2021, 12:58:06 AM
Hey guys, so i picked this piece up a month ago and so I’ve been playing it as a side piece sort of right now but I’m having some trouble. I can play hands separate at around that 80 bpm to the half note(six notes per beat), and, I’m having trouble actually accurately lining up the hands when playing them together. I’m playing at a much slower tempo hands together(69 bpm, and even 60), and my hands just done seem to line up in some measures. Any help? Btw, practicing this etude is really boring imo lol.

Any advice is much appreciated,
Alex

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Trouble lining up hands in Chopin op 25 no 2
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 10:38:09 AM
Sorry you find it boring; I love practicing this etude. I'd say don't let the triplet quarter notes in the LH worry you into trying to get a sort of polyrhythmic feeling between the two hands. I've never heard a performance that brought that out. Instead it's just two notes in the RH for every note in the LH. Do that, and think of each measure as either two or even just one big beat. Don't group the RH in threes, but in sixes or twelves. Another trick to help you hear the alignment better is to shift your piano bench an octave to the right and play everything an octave up (moving the bench means that your arms are in the same position wrt the keyboard as they were in the original octave). It's impressive how much easier it is (for me, anyway) to hear the alignment when everything is an octave higher.

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 04:51:05 PM
Sorry you find it boring; I love practicing this etude. I'd say don't let the triplet quarter notes in the LH worry you into trying to get a sort of polyrhythmic feeling between the two hands. I've never heard a performance that brought that out. Instead it's just two notes in the RH for every note in the LH. Do that, and think of each measure as either two or even just one big beat. Don't group the RH in threes, but in sixes or twelves. Another trick to help you hear the alignment better is to shift your piano bench an octave to the right and play everything an octave up (moving the bench means that your arms are in the same position wrt the keyboard as they were in the original octave). It's impressive how much easier it is (for me, anyway) to hear the alignment when everything is an octave higher.

It’s not that boring lol it’s just the whole piece is the same pattern wise. I tried grouping the rh in sextuplets and that definitely helped. My teacher wanted me to start off thinking of them as triplets to make them “more precise” for now. I feel I’m pretty precise though so I’ll start practicing it mainly in sextuplets but later(I feel like crap rn I got my 2nd vaccine this morning and I don’t feel like practicing at all) :(

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 05:10:57 PM
It’s not that boring lol it’s just the whole piece is the same pattern wise. I tried grouping the rh in sextuplets and that definitely helped. My teacher wanted me to start off thinking of them as triplets to make them “more precise” for now. I feel I’m pretty precise though so I’ll start practicing it mainly in sextuplets but later(I feel like crap rn I got my 2nd vaccine this morning and I don’t feel like practicing at all) :(

Cut yourself some slack man and let yourself rest and be unproductive, your body is dealing with the vaccine after all. Which measures are you having the most trouble lining the hands up?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 06:45:51 PM

One thing that helps me with evenness is to take the RH notes and play them in 2's, then in 3's, then in 4's, then in 5's, then in 6's, phase shifting each group in every possible way, with a pause between each group.

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 11:16:29 PM
Hands together?

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 10:54:22 PM
For what it's worth, I think your teacher's advice to practice the right hand as triplets is sound. It may or may not be perceptible to the ear when you play it fast, but I think it makes a difference in "feel", and is at any rate a valuable exercise for rhythmic development.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert