Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Beautiful music that is not hard to play  (Read 97259 times)

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Beautiful music that is not hard to play
on: February 18, 2005, 04:56:39 PM
Having come across this thread,

https://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/board,2/topic,7005.3.html#msg69616

I found a comment by Bartolomeo (with which I wholeheartedly agree):

There is plenty of beautiful music that isn't hard to play.

Any suggestions?

Here is what would be helpful (if possible):

1.   The complete reference for the piece (name, opus, publisher).

2.   A brief description and the level of difficulty (one may use grades, or simply- “elementary”, “intermediate” “advanced”).

3.   Advanced does not really mean advanced, but something that most people should be able to tackle after 2 – 3 years of serious study, e.g Mendelssohn’s songs without words, Debussy’s Arabesque, Bach easiest preludes and fugues.

4.   If recordings (or midis) are available, please list them.

5.   If free scores are available, please direct us to them.

6.   Repertory that is not battered to death (e.g. Fur Elise) should be give preference.

Here is a starting:

Elementary:

Alan Hovhaness – “Sleeping Cat” – Hauntingly beautiful piece – extremely easy (grade 1 ABRSM) with great scope for musicality. There is a recording of it on the ABRSM grade 1 pieces CD. It is one of the pieces of the album “Sketchbook of Mr. Purple Poverty” op. 309, which I recommend you get since the other pieces in it are also of superior quality. Alternatively you can get the “Select grade 1 exam pieces 2005 – 2006” from the ABRSM.

Here is the ABRSM site for more details:

https://www.abrsmpub.co.uk/

Intermediate:

Georg Benda – Sonatina in A minor (no. 3 on the collection of 12 sonatinas – Easier piano pieces no. 47 – ABRSM) – Grade 4. Exhilarating and athletic piece with fast arpeggios divided between the hands and hand crossings on the second part. This is a one-movement sonatina (only 49 bars long) that sounds much more difficult than it actually is. The only recording I know of it (may be out of print) is the ABRSM grade 4 exam pieces 2001-2002 CD.

Advanced:

Ottorino Respighi – “Notturno”(Grade 7/8) – Wonderful, lyrical piece, much closer to Grieg’s “Notturno” in form and feeling than to Chopin’s or Field’s. My own copy is from “Respighi piano works – ed. by Takahiro Seki (Zen-on Piano Library). It has been recorded by Konstantin Scherbakov for Naxos.

You can hear a sample of it here:

https://www.naxos.com/mainsite/default.asp?pn=SContentQuery&itemcode=&disctitle=&works=&Composer=Respighi&Artist=

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beautiful music that is not hard to play
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 05:18:29 PM
Great idea for a thread!

I'll try to post something every day.

Advanced: Schumann Arabesque - Opus 18.

https://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=682

Beautiful haunting melody with 16th note acompanying figure split between the hands, somewhat like some of Mendelsohnn's SWWs.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 06:21:16 PM
The Schubert waltzes and Landler are pretty and generally very simple, and more advanced pianists can use them as sightreading (and analyzing) practice.

Offline Vivers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 08:17:19 PM
Tchaikovsky's "The Seasons"  op. 37 is a collection of 12 pieces, one for each month. I guess it's about an advanced level. I especially like 'June - Barcarolle,' very lyrical, it reminds me of the ocean. You can hear clips of the 12 pieces here:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000026CZJ/qid=1108756997/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/102-0611981-0440912

I'll be back with more (hopefully) when I finish going through my stashes of abandoned music.

Offline shasta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 08:56:03 PM
I have a soft spot for Lecuona's Cordoba and Alhambra.  So beautiful, particularly the middle section of Alhambra.  Faure's Barcarolles and Nocturnes are quite beautiful as well, and not heard very often.  Will post more details/references when I have time.
"self is self"   - i_m_robot

Offline musik_man

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 10:19:58 PM
Beethoven's Bagatelles op.119

Some late Beethoven for those of us who would butcher the sonatas if we tried them.  I've only heard/played 6 and 11, but I'd bet that the other ones are of the same quality.  In terms of difficulty, I'd say that they are near a Für Elise level.
/)_/)
(^.^)
((__))o

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 10:28:49 PM
i think the idea of 'children's pieces' written by great composers is great.

bartok, tchaikovsky, schumann- some easy and very beautiful music right there
love,peace,hope,fresh coconuts

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 12:10:41 AM
On specific pieces...around the late beginner to early intermediate/intermediate level .  And following Bernhard's format:

1/ Schumann
Album for the Young: no 30 ***.  I have this is a Henle.  I am sure it would be published in a cheaper version.  Available free on the internet at https://www.sheetmusicarchive.net

I love this piece, its is so beautiful. I taught this to a student (gr 5)  and then just had to learn it for myself!! I have never heard thought of this piece as being battered to death.

I have an Angela Brownridge recording, its not bad...

2/ Heller

Melodious Etudes:  I'll just list my favourites (but they are all pretty good)....op 47 3,10, 15,21, 23 : op 46 4, 7, 11.  There are plenty of goodies from op 125 and 45 too, if i get around to it i'll post some favourites.  I have these in Kalmus editions, again I am sure they are available from other publishers.

I do not know of any recordings of these..if you have time would you care to enlighten me on this Bernhard???!!!

I don't know if they are available free anywhere

Pieces around the late intermediate to advanced level

3/ Debussy
Prelude from Suite Bergamesque: Ok the Clair de Lune is a much hackneyed work, but the Prelude is seriously underplayed and (IMHO) is much better.  This is so beautiful!!  I also have this in a Henle, again I am sure it is available in a cheaper version.  Available free on the internet at https://www.sheetmusicarchive.net

I have it recorded by Gieseking and Arrau, I honestly prefer the Arrau for the Prelude (his Clair de Lune is far too slow for my tastes but the Prelude is (IMHO) excellent)

4/ Benjamin Britten

Ok, I love Britten's piano piece so here is an incredibly biased opinion

Notturno (Night Piece) (1963): Boosey and Hawkes (beautiful and haunting)

Three Character Pieces (1930): Boosey and Hawkes (range from the fast and fun Michael to the beautiful Daphne)

Holiday Diary (op 5 1934): Boosey and Hawkes

Seminal recording is Stephen Hough on EMI Classics.

I am sure there are plenty more, ill post some when I have time...

Thanks for this post Bernhard....an excellent idea.  I can't wait to hear others suggestions!!!

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
Robert Fripp

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 03:42:22 AM
Franz Liszt - the three Consolations.  My teacher chose these for me to play as an introduction to the music of Liszt which is not "finger-breaking" (her words).

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 05:45:38 AM
"Heliotrope Bouquet", the beautiful little collaboration of Joplin with Louis Chauvin.

Any comprehensive volume of Joplin, e.g. Dover will have it.
Difficulty - intermediate.
Dozens of recordings, e.g. Bolcom, Arpin, Neilsen, many others - also occurs in many CD compilations.
Copyright 1907, Stark Music - now public domain, I think.

---------------

"Rosemary" by Frank Bridge

Title:  Three sketches : piano solo [music] / Frank Bridge.
 Publisher:  London : Boosey & Hawkes, c1915.
 Description:  15 p. ; 32 cm.
 Contents:  April -- Rosemary -- Valse capricieuse.
 Notes:  S.2678 Boosey & Hawkes.
Cover title.
Pl. no.: S 2678.
Recording - Peter Jacobs, Continuum CCD 1019
Difficulty - intermediate.

--------------

Oh, I almost forgot - a gem - "Chandelier Rag" by Hal Isbitz.
Hal publishes his own music and it can be purchased from places such as Ragtime Express on the web in the volume "Twelve Piano Rags by Hal Isbitz"
It is recorded by Scott Kirby on the "Terra Verde" CD
Difficulty - intermediate physically, advanced harmonically and rhythmically.
It isn't really a rag at all but stands unique in its own form.

https://www.ragtime.nu/isbitz.htm

--------------

"Lake Street" or indeed, any of the formal pieces of Reginald Robinson.
He publishes his own music but it can also be bought through the above mentioned source.
Difficulty - intermediate

He was a recent recipient of a US$500,000 genius grant, which fact I'm very pleased about because I've been telling people for years he was special.
See:
https://www.macfdn.org/programs/fel/fellows/robinson_reginald.htm
Recording - Reginald Robinson - "Shades In Silhouette" CD.

-----------

Most of my own early stuff, of which there exist many dozens, falls into the "not so hard" category. "Beautiful" is, of course, subjective.

https://www.pianoworld.com/cdproject/SearchNames3.php

Try the test mp3s under my name.
Anybody can have scans of my scores free. It isn't that I want to promote my music, heaven forbid, but it just might convince my wife I'm not selfish !
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline goldfish

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:07:21 AM

Any suggestions?

I am learning Debussy's Album Leaf. Thats very beautiful and is his easiest piece - grade 4 - ish.

I found the music in this book:

The Great Piano Works Of Claude Debussy, published by IMP
https://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/029871/details.html

Which also includes advice on playing each piece and a CD.

goldfish

-- goldfish

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 12:20:28 AM
I've thought of a couple more

Frank Bridge
9 Miniature Pastorales- Intermediate Level
Thames Publishing
I am not sure if these are recorded

All are nice miniatures but I particularly like no 8.  It is also a good teaching piece for teaching students to go from playing triplets to quavers to semiquavers.  It also sounds very impressive!

Carl Vine
Semplice from- Red Blues- Late Beginner early intermediate
Faber
Again, not sure if this has been recorded.

Beautiful piece with 7/8 and 8/8 time, good contemporary work, with a 2-part texture.

Keep the suggestions coming..!!! BTW Bernhard, I love that Respighi Nocturne
Robert Fripp

Offline goldfish

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 12:29:46 AM
On specific pieces...around the late beginner to early intermediate/intermediate level .  And following Bernhard's format:

1/ Schumann
Album for the Young: no 30 ***.  I have this is a Henle.  I am sure it would be published in a cheaper version.  Available free on the internet at https://www.sheetmusicarchive.net

I love this piece, its is so beautiful. I taught this to a student (gr 5)  and then just had to learn it for myself!!

Wow thanks for posting this suggestion. I've just listened to the piece and can't believe I'd overlooked it before. I'll start on it tomorrow  ;D

goldfish

-- goldfish

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 12:42:21 AM
Beethoven's Bagatelles op.119

Some late Beethoven for those of us who would butcher the sonatas if we tried them.  I've only heard/played 6 and 11, but I'd bet that the other ones are of the same quality.  In terms of difficulty, I'd say that they are near a Für Elise level.

I would agree with this.

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 01:24:12 AM

Wow thanks for posting this suggestion. I've just listened to the piece and can't believe I'd overlooked it before. I'll start on it tomorrow ;D

goldfish

My pleasure, I can't believe I overlooked it for as long as I did....I am glad its not just me....ENJOY!!!!
Robert Fripp

Offline rlefebvr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 02:44:51 PM
1/ Schumann

This is amazing and really is simple to play, I think.

I searched Hi and low for a midi file last night and could not find any.
Anyone have one I could download.
Does not have to be complete or have a great sound, just want to make sure I am playing this thing right.

On a side note, Schumann's Album for the Young comes up often in discussions. Anyone that knows of a good CD edition, that would also be helpful.
Ron Lefebvre

Ron Lefebvre © Copyright. Any reproduction of all or part of this post is sheer stupidity.

Offline goldfish

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 08:54:15 PM

This is amazing and really is simple to play, I think.

I searched Hi and low for a midi file last night and could not find any.
Anyone have one I could download.
Does not have to be complete or have a great sound, just want to make sure I am playing this thing right.

On a side note, Schumann's Album for the Young comes up often in discussions. Anyone that knows of a good CD edition, that would also be helpful.

I have this one:

https://www.hyperion-records.com/details/55039.asp

and I'm very happy with it. Wish I could play no.30 as well as the pianist on the CD.

I think the difficulty in finding midis for more than about a handfull of these pieces was what prompted me to get the CD.

goldfish

-- goldfish

Offline keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 11:01:02 PM
Grieg, To the Spring: breathtaking, I love it. I would say intermediate level

Alexina Louie, Distant Memories: A stunning introduction to modern music, not too long. Intermediate level as well. (I believe both songs are on the Gr.9 RCM)

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 04:37:01 AM
chopin nocturnes

un sospiro

liszt consolations

any minimalist stuff you can find

and the Xenakis Herma.  a romantic and moving piece if i've ever heard one.

Offline chopinisque

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 07:28:24 AM
Skeptopotamus, are you sure about Un Sospiro?  It is a Lizst Etude after all.

Tango 3 (Argentine) by Seiber from Easy Dances Volume 1(Schott Music) or ABRSM 2003-4 Grade 3 book.

Very impressive for a grade 3 piece.  It made my brother who almost never practiced sound good.  A nice march-like tango.  It starts fast and energetically and then changes key in the middle to become romantic and stately.  You can hear a rough recording at red crocodile by some beginner who recorded his playing.  https://www.redcrocodile.net/etcs/piano.php

Tango by Albeniz.  ABRSM rates it grade 6 so I'd guess it would be sort of Intermediate to Advanced.  It's a great classy piece that sounds wondeful even though its technical demands are minimal.  Except for the pedaling.  I lost marks for pedaling in an exam. :-[ ;D
Mad about Chopin.

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 08:04:29 AM
un sospiro is easier than liebestraume no. 3 i think.

ps dont go looking for the Xenakis that was a joke.

Offline Op. 1 No. 2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 02:51:48 PM
chopin nocturnes

Most nocturnes are pretty hard, and don't fit in the "not hard to play" category I think.

Offline CJ Quinn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 07:20:29 PM
I'd guess these are intermediate, but I never really know how to classify these things being mostly self-taught.  Many of the Scriabin preludes are, if not easy to play, at least very brief and less daunting to tackle than longer works.  Here are three that I play and have recorded, plus one of the Pictures at an Exhibition movements, in the same difficulty range I think:

Scriabin: Prelude Opus 16 No. 1

Scriabin: Prelude Opus 11 No. 10

Scriabin: Prelude Opus 11 No. 5

Moussorgsky: Pictures: Ill Vecchio Castillo

MP3s are available on my media page:

https://www.media.cjquinn.com

Christopher James Quinn
Brooklyn, Earth

Piano: August Förster 190

mp3s: www.media.cjquinn.com

My Miraculous Brooklyn Piano Teacher:  https://www.racheljimenez.com

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 07:27:15 PM
What, nobody has mentioned the easier Satie pieces yet (Gymnopedies, Gnossiennes)? Too popular?

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 01:05:25 AM
1/ Schumann

I love this piece, its is so beautiful. I taught this to a student (gr 5)  and then just had to learn it for myself!! I have never heard thought of this piece as being battered to death.

I have an Angela Brownridge recording, its not bad...

Just saw her recital last night. She played Beethoven (Appasisionata), 2 Chopin ballades and a composer I did not know: Leighton.

I have this CD too, but I also like Michael Endres and Andreas Bach.

2/ Heller

Melodious Etudes:  I'll just list my favourites (but they are all pretty good)....op 47 3,10, 15,21, 23 : op 46 4, 7, 11.  There are plenty of goodies from op 125 and 45 too, if i get around to it i'll post some favourites.  I have these in Kalmus editions, again I am sure they are available from other publishers.

I do not know of any recordings of these..if you have time would you care to enlighten me on this Bernhard???!!!

Yes, I would be interested too. To my knowledge they have never been recorded. However now it has become fashinable to sell socres with an accompanying CD, so I would not be surprised if someone like Alfred had a recent edition fo the studies with and accompanying CD.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: March 01, 2005, 01:09:23 AM
Some excellent suggestions! :D

Ted: Great stuff :D! how can we get the scores?

Here are a few more:

Elementary:

Amy Beach – “Pierrot and Pierrette” – From Children’s Carnival, op.
A delightful little waltz that sounds much more difficult than it actually is. Amy Beach had a true gift for melody and this is totally tonal without being derivative.

My copy is published by Alfred.

Sahan Arzruni has recorded it for New World Records.

Intermediate:

Gabriel Fauré – Romance sans paroles op. 17 no 3. – Beautiful melody over an arpeggiated accompaniment. The other 2 pieces in this set (nos. 1 and 2) are also worthwhile pieces (no. 1 slightly more difficult than no. 3 and no. 2 much more difficult than both).

You can get the sheet music (free) here:

https://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=38

Pascal Rogé recorded it for Decca.

And since xvimbi mentioned it, Erik Satie – Gnossienne no. 4. The easiest (and arguably the most beautiful) of the six.

There are several recordings, I like Pascal Rogé’s (Decca)

Advanced:

Emanuel Chabrier – “Idylle” from “Pičces Pitoresques”. Arguably the most beautiful of the set, it has a hypnotic repeated notes-pattern accompaniment and a delicate highly evocative melodic motif.

My copy of the score is published by International Music Company.

I have recordings by both Alain Plančs (Harmonia Mundi) and Naida Cole (Decca), but Naida is far prettier in the cover. :D

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 01:39:49 AM

Just saw her recital last night. She played Beethoven (Appasisionata), 2 Chopin ballades and a composer I did not know: Leighton.

Bernhard,

I think the composer is probably the late British composer Kenneth Leighton (he died in 1988).

If you would like to know some more information about him you can go to this website:

www.music.ed.ac.uk/composition/composers/leighton/

To be frank, I don't particularly like his piano music.  I have occassionally used, for teaching, some pieces from Pieces for Angela op47 and I have taught his Sonatina n1 but I am not fond of it.  His works may have been better in the hands of Angela Brownridge....!!!

I started to play his Fantasie Contrapuntista, this is a relatively big work, quite difficult, but I didn't like it enough to persist.

TCL and the ABRSM have used his pieces as exam works, to the best of my memory.

I hope you enjoyed the concert

cheers

dmk
Robert Fripp

Offline Radix

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 03:32:42 AM
Intermediate / Advanced: Medtner's "Alla Reminiscenza"

I didn't know whether to say intermediate or advanced, because the contrasting rhythms might be hard to pick up on at first, but, once you get them down, it's really a very simple piece to play.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: March 03, 2005, 12:19:23 AM

Bernhard,

I think the composer is probably the late British composer Kenneth Leighton (he died in 1988).

If you would like to know some more information about him you can go to this website:

www.music.ed.ac.uk/composition/composers/leighton/

To be frank, I don't particularly like his piano music.  I have occassionally used, for teaching, some pieces from Pieces for Angela op47 and I have taught his Sonatina n1 but I am not fond of it.  His works may have been better in the hands of Angela Brownridge....!!!

I started to play his Fantasie Contrapuntista, this is a relatively big work, quite difficult, but I didn't like it enough to persist.

TCL and the ABRSM have used his pieces as exam works, to the best of my memory.

I hope you enjoyed the concert

cheers

dmk

Yes, Kenneth Leighton indeed. This sort of music is not my favourite either. It sounds pretty random to me and it would not be out of place as a movie soundtrack. She played a study and his Sonata no. 2. I think she played it very well - I was not bowled over by her Beethoven or her Chopin. She played Gershwin as an encore, and that was excellent. (She also played "Spring" by Grieg as a second encore, and that reinforced my impression that she is more at home with the modern repertory).

It was a very small audience (perhaps 50 people), so the theater was more than half empty which always makes me sad and very reluctant to criticise any pianist in any way. They deserve our best feelings. In fact the audience was quite enthusiastic - she came back for two encores - and I think the audience would have liked another one.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed her recital (I have both her CDs of Gershwin and of Schumann's Album for the young - I always admire pianists who will record pieces that are not "virtuoso" pieces - which I think are very good). She has just launched the complete solo piano works of Leighton in a 3 CD set.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Offline stormx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 07:20:46 PM
There is a rondo named "Tambourin", whose composer is Jean Louis DAQUIN.

It is a very easy and nice barroque piece (the LH play all the piece the same chord). The fact that i can play it speaks about its difficulty  ;D ;D

PD: is this what is called a grade 1 piece?

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: March 26, 2005, 01:14:23 AM
There is a rondo named "Tambourin", whose composer is Jean Louis DAQUIN.

It is a very easy and nice barroque piece (the LH play all the piece the same chord). The fact that i can play it speaks about its difficulty  ;D ;D

PD: is this what is called a grade 1 piece?

Yes. This would be a grade 1 (or 2 - depends who is grading it ;)) piece.

A few more:

Elementary: Mona Rejino – “Nocturne” – Hauntingly beautiful piece of around grade 2/3 level, but so well written that it sounds far more difficult than it actually is. This is published by Hal Leonard as part of a collection of pieces by Rejino: “Portraits in style – Six character pieces for piano solo”. The other pieces in the album are also excellent, but the Nocturne is my favourite. I don’t think there is a CD of it.

Intermediate:  Alexander Ilynsky – “Berceuse”. Beautiful melody over a “rocking like” accompaniment. Soothing and restful as a berceuse should be. My copy is part of a collection called “The hundred best short classics (book 4 – Paterson’s publications).

There is a CD called “La Nuit”(Joaquin Achucarro-piano, label: Ensayo) that includes this piece.

Advanced: Mendelssohn – “Capriccio in A minor, op. 33 no.1”. An Adagio section in long arpeggions that cover the whole keyboard is followed by a hair-raisign presto. Great piece, beautiful and virtuosic (but much easier than it actually sounds), rarely played. I have a recording of it by Martin Jones (“Mendelssohn complete piano solo works” – Nimbus).

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Offline ShiroKuro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 26, 2005, 01:43:13 PM
Two pieces that are *very* simple, and in my opinion very beautiful, are:

Gounod's "Ave Maria"

"Forget-Me-Not,"  Heinrich Lichner, op. 160-6

(my first post to this forum, thanks for reading!  :)

Offline jas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: March 26, 2005, 05:23:53 PM
Satie's third Gymnopedie is just the most gorgeous piece ever. The first time I heard it I had it on repeat for hours. And I still can't get bored with it! I much prefer it to the first.

Jas

Offline ujos3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: March 26, 2005, 05:39:17 PM

Humoresque, from Antonin Dvorak

Really beautiful, well known, but not so played as Fur Elise....

About level 6. It is worth learning.

Brahms intermezzo in A major, Op. 118 nş 2

wonderful, moving, very romantic. Makes cry . Girls love this one.

About level 7. Difficult to interpret. Pedalling, upper notes, etc.

For dvorak and brahms you have midi and sheets at classicalarchives and sheetmusicarchive.

Chariots of Fire!! The score from Vangelis. People love this one. About level 5/6.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: March 26, 2005, 10:54:08 PM

"Forget-Me-Not,"  Heinrich Lichner, op. 160-6

Any details? (Publisher, where to get the score, etc.) ;)

Offline ShiroKuro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: March 27, 2005, 05:13:07 AM
Oops, sorry for that omission. The Lichner piece I got from a book published by the Japanese publishing company, Doremi Music Publishing Company Ltd.  The book is one of a series: "110 Famous Piano Collections" which breaks the 110 pieces up into 3 books in order of difficulty, and this piece is at the beginning of book one.  All the pieces in the series are in their original arrangements, and the series includes many many standard pieces, so I had thought maybe this was a well-known piece, perhaps I'm wrong. For reference, the first book starts with Lichner and some easy Bach, includes some Handel and Schumann and many others and ends with Gounod's Ave Maria, some Beethoven (including Fur Elise) and Mozart's "Ah! Vous dirai-je, Maman"  So that's the level of it.  You can buy a CD with all of the songs, so it's an excellent resource.

Actually, I always thought Doremi was a Japanese publishing company, but maybe it's not, maybe this is just the Japanese division? Anyone know?

Bernhard, I often read your posts (thank you for all your great info!!)  so I would love to know what you think of this piece.  I wonder if you can find it somewhere. 

It's in 6/8 time, starts out in Dm, switches to Bb major in the middle and then goes back to Dminor again....

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: March 27, 2005, 10:42:00 AM
Oops, sorry for that omission. The Lichner piece I got from a book published by the Japanese publishing company, Doremi Music Publishing Company Ltd.  The book is one of a series: "110 Famous Piano Collections" which breaks the 110 pieces up into 3 books in order of difficulty, and this piece is at the beginning of book one.  All the pieces in the series are in their original arrangements, and the series includes many many standard pieces, so I had thought maybe this was a well-known piece, perhaps I'm wrong. For reference, the first book starts with Lichner and some easy Bach, includes some Handel and Schumann and many others and ends with Gounod's Ave Maria, some Beethoven (including Fur Elise) and Mozart's "Ah! Vous dirai-je, Maman"  So that's the level of it.  You can buy a CD with all of the songs, so it's an excellent resource.

Actually, I always thought Doremi was a Japanese publishing company, but maybe it's not, maybe this is just the Japanese division? Anyone know?

Bernhard, I often read your posts (thank you for all your great info!!)  so I would love to know what you think of this piece.  I wonder if you can find it somewhere. 

It's in 6/8 time, starts out in Dm, switches to Bb major in the middle and then goes back to Dminor again....

Thanks for the details :D. I love these obscure composers (and by the look of it, he composed a lot! Op. 160!) I will check it out.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Offline nomis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: March 28, 2005, 11:37:46 AM

It should be a Japanese company, because it publishes many video game music scores arranged for easy piano.

Offline Chrysalis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: March 28, 2005, 12:00:54 PM
The Beginning of etude 10:3 (first page) of chopin is beautiful but not
so hard to play either.. then again you want to play an entire piece

so i would go for some intermezzos brahms composed
Debussy Rox! Debussy Rox! Debussy Rox!

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: April 06, 2005, 11:08:18 PM
Just bringing this thread to the top again (we don’t want it to fossilise, do we? ;))

Elementary:

Howard Skempton – “Saltaire melody” – (Oxford University press), a CD (“Well, well Cornelius”) of Skempton pieces played by John Tylbury is available from Sony (it includes Saltaire). Skempton is a contemporary composer who writes tonal, minimalist music. Most of his pieces are excellent (very evocative and atmospheric) yet very, very simple. The score can be a bit difficult to read (no key signatures, lots of accidentals, usually no bar lines, etc.). Saltaire melody is my favourite (about grade 1/2), but other worthwhile pieces in the album are “One for Molly”, “Trace” “Well, Well Cornelius”, “Campanella 3”, “Air” and “Passing fancy”. All of this pieces are technically elementary (grades 1 – 2), but may require mature musicality to be effective.

Intermediate:

Adolf Jensen – “Longing” –op. 8 no. 5 – A nocturne with a beautiful melody and unusual harmonies. My copy is from a collection of graded pieces called “Hours with the masters – vol. 4 (ed. Dorothy Bradley – Bosworth)

Advanced:

Mendelssohn: “Song Without Words no. 7” op. 30 no.1 – One of my favourites (amongst my top five). There is something dark and intense about it which is not usual amongst the SWW. There are several recordings of it, but I particularly like Ilse von Alpenheim for Phillips (“Complete SWW”).

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: April 10, 2005, 11:58:20 PM
Just bringing this thread to the top again (we don’t want it to fossilise, do we? ;))

Good idea Bernhard...I am putting a lot of Australian stuff here...

1/ Elementary

Song with A Sad Ending Arthur Benjamin from Fantasies Book 1: This is a really sweet little piece, I would put it at a later elementary stage.

PUBLISHER: Boosey and Hawkes
RECORDING: The Enchanted Isle: Tamara Cislowska

2/ Intermediate
Valse Triste Alfred Hill:  A beauty of a piece, ternary form in A minor.  The contrasting section is a nice fast Allegro section.

PUBLISHER:Nicholson's Sydney
RECORDING: The Enchanted Isle: Tamara Cislowska and Retrospect: Larry Sitsky

Lavender Time Lindley Evans:  Another beauty of a piece, fast in 12/8 but with a beautiful and lyrical melody not that hard once students get stuck into it.

PUBLISHER: Allan and Co
RECORDING: The Enchanted Isle: Tamara Cislowska

Reflection Kerin Bailey from Six Sketches:  Jazzy piece from Contemporary Australian composer.  Relatively simple bass line, one spot of 3 against 4 and a quasi-cadenza which students love to play!!

PUBLISHER: I think it may be self published, but it is widely available.
RECORDING: I know there is one but I don't have it myself!!

Scenes from an Imaginary Ballet Samuel Coleridge-Taylor:  Great set of pieces.  I really like the 4th and 5th scenes, very good concert pieces, especially in pairs.

PUBLISHER: my copy is older than me and I have no idea if it is still currently in print...I bought mine second hand and I am sure that others can too.

keep ideas coming :)

Cheers,

dmk
Robert Fripp

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: May 26, 2005, 09:09:57 AM
Elementary:

Robert Fuchs –  “Banges Herzelein” (“Sad at Heart”) from Children’s pieces op. 47 no. 5 – A beautiful, melancholic and evocative piece only 16 bars long. Small hands may have difficulty with the arpeggio accompaniment in the left hand, but it is not impossible. Adult beginners could easily learn it in a single lesson. (published by the ABRSM under the “Easier Piano Pieces” series, no. 59: Robert Fuchs – Children’s pieces op. 32 & 47). As far as I know there are no recordings of this piece.

Intermediate:

Benjamin Godard – “Nous n’irons plus au bois” (“We will go no more to the wood”). From “Etudes Enfantines” (“Studies for Children”) op. 149 no. 5. Woderfully expressive piece with many changing moods and an edge of suspense. (Published by the ABRSM under the “Easier Piano Pieces” series, no. 43: Godard – Studies for children op. 149. book I). Jean Martin has recorded them for Naxos/Marco Polo.

Advanced:

Henrique Oswald – “Il Neige!” (“It snows!”). Brazilian composer Oswald, lived most of his life in France, and his music is clearly influenced by the French romantics and impressionists. Today, a completely obscure composer, in his day Oswald was well known: Il Neige was awarded first prize in a composition competition sponsored by Le Figaro in Paris, 1902. Maria Inęs Guimarăes has recorded it for Naxos/Marco Polo.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Offline abell88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: May 26, 2005, 12:11:47 PM
Robert Fuchs –  “Banges Herzelein” (“Sad at Heart”) from Children’s pieces op. 47 no. 5 – A beautiful, melancholic and evocative piece only 16 bars long. Small hands may have difficulty with the arpeggio accompaniment in the left hand, but it is not impossible. Adult beginners could easily learn it in a single lesson. (published by the ABRSM under the “Easier Piano Pieces” series, no. 59: Robert Fuchs – Children’s pieces op. 32 & 47). As far as I know there are no recordings of this piece.

This piece (here called Timid Little Heart) is in the RCM Grade 3 book, and therefore available from Frederick Harris (they have recordings of all the RCM repertoire books).

Offline pianoguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: May 26, 2005, 06:51:32 PM
Nobuo Uematsu- "To Zanarkand" Somewhere between Elementary and Intermediate:
Someone who has been playing piano for two or three years shouldn't find it too difficult. This is a short, but VERY expressive and truly beautiful piece. Here are links to a midi

https://www.squaresound.com/midis/ff10/ost/1-02-to_zanarkand02.mid

and free sheet music

https://nc.aftran.com/~ffmirror/mhuang/nu/piano/ff10_zann.zip
Music is God's language. When he speaks, listen.

Offline ptmidwest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: May 27, 2005, 02:20:06 AM
the album “Sketchbook of Mr. Purple Poverty” op. 309, which I recommend you get since the other pieces in it are also of superior quality.  

Does anyone know who publishes the opus 309?

By the way,  Benda's Sonatina in A minor is included in a collection called "Applause" Book 1,  edited by Lynn Freeman Olson, from Alfred.

Also in that book is a refreshing Kuhlau piece, the Allegro Burlesco, Op. 88, No. 3.  It's a such a fun change (about the same level of difficulty) from the standard sonatinas, for both student and teacher.

Good thread!

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: May 28, 2005, 03:37:39 PM
Sketchbook Of Mr Purple Poverty, op. 309 is published by Tetra (code#  - JAX3003140)

I got my copy from Burt&co:

https://www.burtnco.com/

Best wishes,
Bernhard

Offline greyrune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: May 28, 2005, 05:44:38 PM
The Debussy children's corner pieces.  I especially like Dr Gradus ad Parnassum and the Golliwog's Cakewalk, both good fun pieces.
I'll be Bach

Offline ptmidwest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: May 30, 2005, 08:24:00 PM
                And yet again...

Thank you, Bernhard!

Offline f451

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: June 03, 2005, 04:56:17 PM
hey PianoGuy
Nobuo Uematsu- "To Zanarkand" Somewhere between Elementary and Intermediate:
Someone who has been playing piano for two or three years shouldn't find it too difficult. This is a short, but VERY expressive and truly beautiful piece. Here are links to a midi

thanks for the great and out-of-the-box recommendation! I really like this and after some searching, I also came across Suteki Da Nae (also from FFX and by Nobuo Uematsu) on a great forum here:
https://www.gamingforce.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=16

[ Although a Video Game site, there is some good stuff on Classical Music there too  :P ) What is nice to see is that youngsters who enjoy the music in the Video Games they play, can combine this with an understanding of music to do their own transcriptions and arrangements. That's one way to motivate youngers to take up a bit of theory  ;) ]

I think the VGM genre fits the bill of Beautiful music that is not hard to play, perfectly. I had a fun 1/2 hr playing with To Zanarkand today, and I will have a go at Suteki Da Nae tomorrow.

Offline pianoguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: June 04, 2005, 04:41:08 PM
I played "To Zanarkand" at a recital a long time ago, and I was surprised at the reaction I got from everyone there. Many people stood during the applause. I recently played Chopin's "Berceuse in Db," op. 57, (which I should also mention on this thread as a beautiful piece, in my opinion, that isn't exceedingly hard to play) and I was surprised when it did not get the same reaction. I think sometimes a piece filled with the simplest beauty impresses an audience more than a complicated piece.
Music is God's language. When he speaks, listen.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert