Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: SARS  (Read 3460 times)

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
SARS
on: May 11, 2003, 10:32:57 AM
You people afraid? I know some of you are from Canada and many from USA. Well, wish you luck in coping with this. Im not afraid because i live in the most peaceful country, NZ.

I dearly hope this goes away soon....
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Re: SARS
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 10:58:53 AM
all i know is that there have been only 3 reported cases of this disease here in philippines. i'm not afraid, happy even, because they're thinking about moving class days to september instead of june. if ever this happens we get an additional 2 months vacation which makes the whole vacation four months!!
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 11:26:09 AM
Wow, lucky you, Chopinetta!
I wish we had 4 month vacations.
I think there have been some SARS case reported in New Zealand.  However I worry for the people in SARS-infected countries.  Apparently the virus is now mutating, from its original respitory form into gastrointestinal and all other forms like that.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 11:30:03 AM
i haven't heard of that news, amee. thanks.

serene just texted me she said that the latest findings on SARS show that the corona virus comes from the feet of the cockroach (which i'm very afraid of) and rat stool.

i don't know if this is true.
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline Jezzica

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 07:36:26 AM
well, actually Frederic there has been a case in Dunedin or wherever which is in NZ, and they reported it to the WHO
Grissom: "In religion? I believe in God, in science, in Sunday supper. I don't believe in rules that tell me how I should live."
-CSI: ALTER BOYS

natasha

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 10:06:24 AM
i feel really sorry to all the people afected by SARS on some way....my heart goes out 2 u!!
yeah im glad i live in nz its a great country!!

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 01:03:40 PM
wish i live there too! i'm tired of the hot weather here! and the piano books are just HARD to find!

Offline Jezzica

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 04:23:01 AM
this is of the topic, but an awful lot of you come from New Zealand don't you ?

I have to say, shame about the America's Cup
Grissom: "In religion? I believe in God, in science, in Sunday supper. I don't believe in rules that tell me how I should live."
-CSI: ALTER BOYS

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 11:44:35 AM
i sware our whole class have got sars

half the people talk croaky and the other half look sick

yeah

but i dont reckon it will cum to lil old nz
memo from lea: red bull gives u wings

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 01:00:13 PM
Yeah, that America's cup was pretty sad. We were not organized and we had a really lousy team. We are probably competing again in another competition or something.

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 09:47:52 PM
Lea,

There has already been a reported case in Dunedin, like Jezz said.  So technically it has already come here...
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2003, 06:03:59 AM
SARS is one inevitable disease today. you remember the disease tuberculosis was once like SARS, i wonder why george sand didn't get tuberculosis?! she had too much exposure on the tubercle bacilli, she had close contacts with chopin. i wonder if they ever kissed? they had an intimate relationship! does this mean some people are imune to these diseases? maybe george sand would also be immune to SARS as well.

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2003, 06:05:12 AM
SARS is one inevitable disease today. you remember the disease tuberculosis was once like SARS, i wonder why george sand didn't get tuberculosis?! she had too much exposure on the tubercle bacilli, she had close contacts with chopin. i wonder if they ever kissed? they had an intimate relationship! does this mean some people are imune to these diseases? maybe george sand would also be immune to SARS as well.

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2003, 06:40:34 AM
The NZ Government has given $34 million in sponsorship to Team New Zealand (as a hint to win the America's Cup back).

Sort of ironic that a land-locked country gets the cup... ;)

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 09:58:48 AM
SARS is more like plague to me. You know that disease in Europe caused by rats? Or maybe that disease (cant remember the name) where you slowly rot away.  :-X

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 17, 2003, 02:41:57 AM
I read in the paper that SARS is now contained in China.

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 17, 2003, 06:25:59 AM
um.....bubonic plague]
i think thats wot ur talking bout, frederick

Offline roxy_surf_chick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 17, 2003, 06:48:52 AM
ha ha ha very funny frederick

the plague???? are you kidding me???

seriously, we would be rotting away lying in opur beds sick and helpless if it was the plague.....

its more of an epedimic but world wide, more like the flu

clarissa

clarissa is ur classic roxy surf chick who luvs 2 play the piano

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 17, 2003, 12:31:10 PM
Well at least its more like that than tuberculosis.

And um.... *ahem* Amee.....I think you're a bit slow..... SARS started in China.....  

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 18, 2003, 12:00:00 AM
Yes, Frederic, I am well aware that SARS originated in China.  In my last post I was merely saying that now it is relatively contained and controlled in China, at least in big cities like Beijing.  It is still running freely in rural areas, however.  How does that equal a bit "slow"?

Offline Angel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: May 18, 2003, 12:05:16 AM
yo amee!!!!!
go girl u rock
lol guys i know amee in real life & she is one kool chik
frederic
i think u mite b the slow 1
u were the one saying, & i quote 'im not afraid because i live inthe most peaceful coutry, nz'
obviously u were not aware that there haz already been a reported case in dunedin
heh i live in the usa and even i knew that!!
talk about slow huh frederic?

Offline Helen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: May 18, 2003, 12:10:21 AM
hey angel calm down!  but i must agree with you however lol
frederic i dont see how you can call amee *slow*
she is a helpful and informative member of this great forum
and this is just my opinion but it seems you are too hasty frederic in dissing people, because amee didnt say anything about sars NOT originating in china

so why are you calling her slow?

Offline Angel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: May 18, 2003, 04:26:36 AM
frederic i think u've misinterpreted ameez post.  wen she sed *contained* in china u thought it meant an outbreak in china.  actually what amee meant by *contained* was sars is now in check.  obviously u were the only one hu didnt realise contained meant in check
and on top ov dat u were calling amee da slow one
ha dats funni!
i reckon, & im sure sum ppl on dis forum r wid me on dis, dat u r da slow 1

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: May 18, 2003, 04:30:38 AM
hey angel girlie

yeah i agree to that frederick is slow

amee was only trying to put facts straight when he goes and disses her

shame aye

yeah well i agree that amee is a kool chick cos i knwo her as well!!!

luv from lea

Offline Angel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: May 18, 2003, 04:43:56 AM
yo lea

hey amee haz told me about u!!
she sed yor really kool
same wid natasha
u guyz rock!

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: May 18, 2003, 04:52:16 AM
hey angel

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: May 18, 2003, 04:54:24 AM
hey angel

hehehe so u know amee!! yeah shes kool
so is natasha

dont u think that freddy is mean to amee?

do u know him?

i dont

lea

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: May 18, 2003, 10:16:43 AM
Angel you joined! ;D  I had no idea you were on this forum until I read your e-mail!  Welcome!

Yes, I did mean 'contained' as in controlled and in check.

Offline Angel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: May 19, 2003, 12:19:31 AM
fred
i must agree
u know nothing & ur very slow ;D

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
FRe: SARS
Reply #29 on: May 19, 2003, 01:13:04 PM
Okay Okay, Stop Stop....!

May i please explain:
First of all, yes i did misinterpret amee's fact and i apologise, and thank you amee for correcting me. (Thats all i needed)
Now , angel, i am not slow. About that dunedin thing. I knew about that already and i also know there is a case in Auckland. And when i said NZ is a peaceful country, i meant it is peaceful, compared to countries like China or Taiwan. And thats not just this Sars business. Now see how you can misunderstand what i say too?

About this "contained' thing. "Contained" can easily mean it is "in". So it was natural for me to think that way. It was so obvious to me that amee was trying to say she just found out SARS was now in China. Now you gotta, admit it would be pretty funny if she really meant that. Now that is really slow  ;D So i was laughing my head off and had this strong urge to see why she said that. Now i know i was wrong in thinking that.

And also this comment about me being mean to amee. No its not true. I was not dissing her. You might be suspicious that i mostly disagree with her through out this forum. This is because she tells us many interesting facts and info and i like to have my say, and if i agree like most other people do, its finished. But if i say my opinion people will have more to think about.
So what makes a good forum? When people share their own thoughts and ideas, agree and disagree. So you really think to disagree is being mean?

Now, amee, continue to fill our brains with all those interesting facts and info you learn from all those books you read, and we will give you our opinion.
Please explain this contain thing again since i still don't 100% understand.

Okay,
Now to continue with this SARS topic (and prevent the webmaster locking this topic), i will just add what i recently heard.
I heard that many now think that SARS started in the US. Have you heard this?

Offline dawggie_dawg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: May 19, 2003, 01:20:16 PM
I think Fred is very right....
<-i wish i had a GTR->

Offline looseseat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: May 19, 2003, 01:24:14 PM
I think you people are mean to him....
*~*WABBIT*~*

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: May 19, 2003, 09:42:45 PM
Hey Frederic!

Hehe I can understand how you thought I meant "contained" meaning "in", and yes that would be very slow if that were the case!  I can see why you wrote that first post ;D  I was not mad or anything over it.

Angel, I think you went a bit far with saying Frederic's slow, which he is not.  I kindly thank you for posting some nice things about me in this Forum, but please dont turn this into a message board where everyone disses each other! ;)

Fred, my understanding of "contained" (and this may not be right, I'm still a bit confused as well) is it means SARS can be controlled, at least in big cities like Beijing.  Therefore it wont spread and infect any more people in those big cities.  

Offline PoSeiDoN

• PS Silver Member

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: May 26, 2003, 09:17:03 AM
why do you guys always quarrel frederic? does frederic always do this to amee?

"It's usually a sure sign that a guy likes a girl when he argues with a girl because it's his way of talking when he doesn't know what else to say to a girl he thinks is very pretty. I know guys' psychology."--Joe Townley

hehehe... that's what he told me... anyway, visit his website https://www.joetownley.com

and visit mine too! https://clik.to/lodc

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: June 07, 2003, 03:47:37 AM
In the paper it said there are now two more suspected cases in NZ, both in Auckland.

Offline Aurelio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: June 07, 2003, 04:58:12 AM
In Spain, there has been no cases of SARS ;D
(false, 1 case in April and recovered)

but What about SARS in other countries?
is it really a risk for somebody in this forum?

Excellent info and stats (by countries) at https://www.diaspoir.net/health/sars/
2 + 2 = 5

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: June 08, 2003, 12:35:07 PM
k, first of all: sorry freddie 4 dissin u  :P

secondly, the cause of sars is these cats and when people eat them raw they get sars cos the cats contain sum thingy that is found in sars

FREAKY

yeah

lea ;)

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: June 08, 2003, 08:38:38 PM
who the hell eats raw cats? where did u read this? and are any of you from toronto? i had to cancel my audition at the glenn gould school, and now i'm not going to the bellini competition in toronto...

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: June 13, 2003, 02:06:30 PM
Toronto now has 12 more suspected cases of SARS.

There was a documentary on TV about SARS, apparently the man who originally brought it to Hong Kong was sick with it when he arrived at his hotel.  He passed it on to another person who happened to be in the elevator with him, who then went on to spread it through Vietnam.  There was also another lady who was on the same floor as the man and she contracted SARS as well.  She brought it with her to Canada.  This lady was also meeting her son at the airport and they embraced.  Apparently this embrace was fatal because in the next week the lady was dead and in the following four days so was the son.

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: June 15, 2003, 04:19:11 AM
hey bout the cat thingy, well sum people eat cats and dogs

yeah im not from toronto

lea

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: April 23, 2004, 10:09:19 PM
Here in Hong Kong SARS scored the highest toll of 299 lives. I was not worried to the least, though, knowing that promoting health is a big part of my business.
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor
amateur classical concert pianist
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert