Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Denis Matsuev - OMG!!  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Jacey1973

• PS Silver Member
Denis Matsuev - OMG!!
on: November 27, 2005, 01:05:30 AM
i just got back from seeing Denis Matsuev playing Rach 3 with the St Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra (plus Rach - vocalise and Shost symph 5) and just had to post about it.

Anyone else seen Matsuev? I've seen many pianists in the last few years, but he stood out a mile! I've never seen the Rach 3 played with such perfection, it was so firey and exciting.  Has anyone else seen him live?

His interpretation (plus the brilliant St Petersburg Philharmonic as good as LSO in my opinion) was so EXCITING. I was actually shaking at the end and glued to his performance throughout. I've never seen an audience so excited we wouldn't stop clapping, then he played an brilliant encore - i think it was a famous Mozart piece for orchestra (can never remember the name) but trascribed for piano - in  Liszt/showy - off style....he played it so confidentally, almost arrogently the audience were laughing every couple of seconds as his performance was so entertaining.

I never drink at concerts but i had to have a vodka after in the interval to calm myself i was so hyperactive!

Can anyone recommend recordings by Matsuev?
"Mozart makes you believe in God - it cannot be by chance that such a phenomenon arrives into this world and then passes after 36 yrs, leaving behind such an unbounded no. of unparalled masterpieces"

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Re: Denis Matsuev - OMG!!
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 11:20:08 PM
Hy!!
I've heard him 4 years ago in Zagreb where he gave a recital.
He play- Schumann-Kinderszenen op.15
                               Symphonic etudes op.13,op.posth
             second half-Liszt-Mephisto waltz
                               -Tchaikovsky-Dumka op.59
                               -Rachmaninov-2nd Sonata op.36

As you see, HUGE program!!!
The first half was very good, I remember hi beautifull pianissimo in op.15...
But ine second part, Mephisto was really crazy and Rachmaninov-tehre was so much fire,  virtuosity, vitality-he played the last things as they where the first one-with huge enegry!

And after this hard program he played 4 ENCORES!!!
I think there were 2 Scriabin's Studies (My teacher told me that, but i'mnot so sure 100%), Rossini/Ginzburg-"Il barbare de Sevilla" fantasy(one of the craziest things I've ever heard!!) and some jazz-sounding piece! He played them with such easines!!

I remember first time that I saw my teacher screaming:BRAVO!!! (she is very ocasional women..)

We both go to congraluation him, I remember that I (I was 13 or 14, I was then a little boy) was fascinated with his BIG hands and giantisam.
Probably, one of my favourite concerts in my life!! :)

You can buy his cd recorded for RCA where he plays
Liszt-Dante sonata
        Mephisto Waltz
        2nd Hungarian Rapsody (with his freaky, jazz cadenza)
Horowitz-Carmen fantasia
Rossini-Ginzburg-Il barbare de Sevilla fantasia

And you can also hear he record of Horowitz's Carmen fantasie live in Dubrovnik, where he play that as an ancore (he play Tchaikovsky Concerto no.1)

Here it is:

www.dubrovnik-festival.hr/default.asp?ru=169&gl=200504200000001&sid=&jezik=1

ENJOY!!!  ;)

Offline Jacey1973

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 12:14:02 AM
Oh thanks Kreso!! I'm glad you were as enthusiastic for him as i was - his encore i heard him play was also amazingly crazy! Will check out those recordings/website!

I want to see him live again now!
"Mozart makes you believe in God - it cannot be by chance that such a phenomenon arrives into this world and then passes after 36 yrs, leaving behind such an unbounded no. of unparalled masterpieces"

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 07:05:52 PM
the RCA record is awesome!
i really like his HR2 Cadenza and the memphisto waltz
and Rossini-Ginzburg-Il barbare de Sevilla fantasia is really crazy
he wons tchaikovsky competition`!

Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 10:14:19 AM
he is a legend

true
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert