Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms Ballades Op 10 nr 1-2  (Read 7541 times)

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Brahms Ballades Op 10 nr 1-2
on: June 17, 2008, 10:23:27 AM
Sloppy, confused and lot's of wrong notes, but nevertheless played with much love!:)
I should of course practice more before I hit the 'record' button, but there you go...

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms Ballades Op 10 nr 1-2
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:35:19 AM
..and nr 2

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:39:47 PM
Hi danilo,

I just listened to both Ballades, and believe you've made a really fine effort on these pieces.  I find that Brahms's idiom is sometimes difficult to manage, as he very often thought orchestrally while composing.  Thus, some of his figuration now and then is not very pianistic (that is, awkward), which adds to the challenge. 

Obviously, you're still working on some fine points, but overall your renditions are quite beautiful in my opinion.  I have yet to play these ballades, although they've been on my to-do list for a long time now.  So I can't comment in detail.  One suggestion would be that you could listen more judiciously to your pedaling.  Overall it's quite good.  But there are a few places where you had caught too many neighboring notes and/or passing tones, or there was a large buildup of too many overtones requiring a different pedaling approach--maybe more changes, half-pedal releases, or flutter pedal to clear the clouding sonorities.  But again, these pieces seem to be coming along very nicely.  Good job!  I'm glad you posted these works.

P.S.  I also noticed you tuned your piano before making these recordings.  :)  Unlike you, I can fix a few notes, but cannot tune the entire scale.  And to pay for tunings for every recording would add up. 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:47:35 AM
Thank you Rachfan!
That's true, Brahms is more difficult than it appears. It's awkward for the hands, and requires the utmost musical precision. I'll take your pedalling comments with me next time I work on these. I'll redo them and let's see if I can do them better!:)

It's fun to be able to tune! Hope your new strings will settle soon so that your tuner's job will be stable!

Offline welltemperedpianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:58:53 PM
I dont believe more people commented on your performance. I thoroughly enjoyed it-- and I could definitely tell that you have a kind affection for this piece, which shows through the performance.

I cant comment much, as I haven't learned the piece myself, but I can say, it was very a thoughtfully executed performance. Thank you!

Offline mwhite

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:14:39 PM
I have never heard either one before, but I love them both.  Thank you very much for sharing.
Mike White

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:00:23 PM
Hi dani,

Beautiful!  ;D I love these pieces, as well as the late Brahms pieces.  I have not played these two, so I also can't comment on too much specifically, but it is obvious you played them with love, as you said! 

You did capture the feeling of Brahms very nicely.  I especially love the second piece.  I really have no critique to give you except maybe at about 2:36 in the second one where it goes into that triple rhythm and the notes are slightly staccato--I think you might do more with the emphasis on the rhythmic change and the forward flow.  I lost the sense of flow a little--but regained it right away when it became more legato. 

Anyway that is extremely minor!  Yes, having played a number of the late Brahms intermezzi and ballades, I have discovered he is very often much more difficult than he sounds!  You play these pieces with great beauty and sensitivity--congrats!

Teresa
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert