Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Near Death Experiences  (Read 5017 times)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Near Death Experiences
on: September 17, 2008, 11:31:33 AM
Have any of you almost died?

When I was in my last year of high school I went to the cinema with my best friend. We usually went with a number of friends but this time it was only  me and my mate. When we where on our way back home we where hit side on by a drunk driver traveling about 3 times the speed limit on a suburb road. The entire back half of the car was torn away, if any of our friends had come with us they would have died for sure. If the car had hit us a few centimeters towards the front of the car we probably would have died also. Very scary!

I also almost chocked to death when I had some horrible chest infection where I coughed so much phlegm that it blocked my airways. That was super frightening waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air then turning purple passing out, the doctor then attending to me when I came through.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline morningstar

• PS Silver Member
Re: Near Death Experiences
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:01:44 PM
Heaps. I was pruning hedges and cut through the cord on the hedge-trimmer. If I hadn't severed both wires at the same time I would have died.
Swallowed a small bottle of roundup.
Nearly drowned in the public pool when i was little.
Fiddled with the power box when power cut out.
There's heaps more

Offline minor9th

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:37:13 PM
Two years ago a plane I was in got hit by wind shear as we landed--we slammed pretty hard on just the left wheels then the right, then we skidded from side to side all the way down the runway. I kept thinking, "This is it...this is how I'm going to die," but we finally came to a stop. I hate flying under the best circumstances...I can't state how traumatizing that experience was! :o

Offline momopi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 01:38:04 PM
I passed out in the library and was hospitalized for a week.  :(

Offline general disarray

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:44:00 PM
I passed out in the library and was hospitalized for a week.  :(

Good Lord!  Who did you overdose on?  Tolstoy?  Dickens?

Trapped in a crowded, tiny elevator in NYC during a power failure for eight hours on a blistering, humid August day.  Two people had heart attacks and one died after rescue.  I had an out of body experience.

I HATE elevators.  That's why I'm back on Kaua'i.   
" . . . cross the ocean in a silver plane . . . see the jungle when it's wet with rain . . . "

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:51:19 PM
Trapped in a crowded, tiny elevator in NYC during a power failure for eight hours on a blistering, humid August day.  Two people had heart attacks and one died after rescue.  I had an out of body experience.

That sounds awful.

I crushed my skull when I was 7 and had 2 severe bleeds and then brain surgery. I have a scar in my forehead so it looks like I´ve been lobotmized haha! I don´t remember much of it though.
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 02:02:17 PM
I suppose when I was a kid and rode my bike right in front of a bus it could have been bad, but the driver was paying attention.  I got yelled at :'(

Also about 2 summers ago I used some bad judgement on the highway.  I went to pass a truck on a 2-lane highway, expecting my van, White Lightening, to have more giddyup, but it was passing fairly slowly.  When an oncoming car approached, instead of doing the sensible thing, I was stubborn and kept accelerating.  Then time slows, as the truck and the car move onto the shoulder so that I can pass down the middle of the road.  Phew, we almost all became statistics because of me.  HOW EXCITING!

If the car had hit us a few centimeters towards the front of the car we probably would have died also. Very scary!

This reminds me of a friend who, despite his in control appearance is rarely paying much attention.  This guy has totalled off a few vehicles in ridiculous accidents, and no matter how much he's been partying still thinks he's good to drive.  Anyways, he was driving along, changing his CD or something when he drives right in front of a moving train.  He looks up - :o - and that train sent his van spinning!  The train hit the front of the van, if he'd been driving a teeny bit faster it would have hit the drivers side door.

;D  Well I've passed out from too much Tolstoy many times, but it was all lying in bed.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 12:59:32 AM
Heaps. I was pruning hedges and cut through the cord on the hedge-trimmer. If I hadn't severed both wires at the same time I would have died.
Doing household chores can be a deadly affair. I had a friends wife used a high pressure water hose and there was faulty wiring which got wet and she actually died from the electrocution. I remember as a child putting a knife into a toaster to unstick the bread while the toaster was on and got a huge zap. I wonder if anyone has actually died from putting a knife into a toaster?

Two years ago a plane I was in got hit by wind shear as we landed--we slammed pretty hard on just the left wheels then the right, then we skidded from side to side all the way down the runway. I kept thinking, "This is it...this is how I'm going to die," but we finally came to a stop. I hate flying under the best circumstances...I can't state how traumatizing that experience was! :o
I get nervous when there is even the slightest shake in an airplane, let alone getting hit by wind shear that would be a very scary affair. My dad, who travels the world a great deal for work, told me once when he was flying in India on a propeller type plane that they got caught up in a real terrible storm. He said the pilot was completely calm even though the plane was going all different directions. They managed to land safely and when on the ground the pilot said he didn't think they where going to make it a few times.

That is an horrible experience! I went to visit Turkey, which is about a 18 hour flight from West Australia. I came out of the airport catwalk in Istanbul quite tired because I got little sleep on the plane. I walked into the elevator with many more people, it was as full as it could get without pressing up against each other. The doors closed it started to go down then it stopped and didn't move, then a few seconds later the lights went out. But we were only in there for about 5 minutes, but still it was really stuffy, I was tired and grumpy, it was a great start to the holiday! But that is nothing compared to your affair! I could imagine if we where stuck in there for 8 hours it would have been a torturous deal.

I crushed my skull when I was 7 and had 2 severe bleeds and then brain surgery. I have a scar in my forehead so it looks like I´ve been lobotmized haha! I don´t remember much of it though.
That sounds real serious! I don't think you would remember much of it if you where hit that hard! I would play on that scar. We had a teacher in primary school who had a big scar over forehead and across his eye to his nose . He had a glass eye that he would take out and put on his table and then announce to the class, "I'm keeping an eye on you all while I'm gone."

Talking about school when I was in university in my 2nd year of engineering one of the lab technicians actually died of a heart attack during one of our labs. It was a quite dramatic scene. Would have been nice to have a defibrillator you could put on a key chain.

I suppose when I was a kid and rode my bike right in front of a bus it could have been bad, but the driver was paying attention.  I got yelled at :'(
It could be certainly death. One day I was waiting for my school bus during my early highschool years and it never came. I had to go home and get my mum to drive me to school. On the way we saw my bus and a covered body with bits of a bike all over the road in all around it. There still is a cross on that intersection there to this day with flowers always all around it, I drive past once a week.

This guy has totalled off a few vehicles in ridiculous accidents, and no matter how much he's been partying still thinks he's good to drive.  Anyways, he was driving along, changing his CD or something when he drives right in front of a moving train.  He looks up - :o - and that train sent his van spinning!  The train hit the front of the van, if he'd been driving a teeny bit faster it would have hit the drivers side door.
You know it took me this one accident to scare me into realizing how much energy is behind a serious crash. It pretty much made me see the reality that driving can be a very deadly affair where your decisions can mean life or death. I would love to see all new young drivers physically experience themselves what it is like to have a crash in some controlled manner, I am sure it would save a few lives.

www.pianovision.com

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 01:26:03 AM
I shouldn't have read this thread... I was already scared to get my permit (I turned 16 recently), but I had just about summoned the resolve to do it on the basis that if I didn't conquer the fear now, I would never be able to. But now I've lost my nerve  :-[.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline morningstar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 02:39:47 AM
I shouldn't have read this thread... I was already scared to get my permit (I turned 16 recently), but I had just about summoned the resolve to do it on the basis that if I didn't conquer the fear now, I would never be able to. But now I've lost my nerve  :-[.
It's all good, you should be right as long as you driev ok and keep an eye out for crazy people like us:P

Offline chopinmozart7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:24:26 AM
once upon a time my family including me drove with the car on the way home.
It was winter and the road was sooo icy thats the car slipped and almost flew over the way down to a lake that was very deep. Nevertheless in some way we managed to get control over the car and only did a few flips and flew down the the other side of the road that was filled with trees. It was scary but we made it :-X
If the immortals had written music for all eternity, we would not have remembered their music.

Offline momopi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 11:52:45 AM

Nah. It was because of fatigue + menstrual period. (this was 1999)

There was a time when I was put on ambulance in Tokyo because of cold weather + period. (2005)

If I were a man, maybe my life would be easier. But then again, I don't want anything dangling between my legs, so...

Crowded, humid days. The horror of horrors. Haha. Glad you're still alive and breathing :)

Offline momopi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 11:53:58 AM
It was winter and the road was sooo icy thats the car slipped and almost flew over the way down to a lake that was very deep. Nevertheless in some way we managed to get control over the car and only did a few flips and flew down the the other side of the road that was filled with trees. It was scary but we made it :-X

LOL @ once a upon a time...  ;D

peace out!

momopi

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 12:08:47 PM
Nah. It was because of fatigue + menstrual period. (this was 1999)

There was a time when I was put on ambulance in Tokyo because of cold weather + period. (2005)
Ha, you must have so little blood in your body that any that you lose makes you faint :)

I wouldn't worry too much, you have a 1 in 80 chance of dying in a motor vehicle accident anyway which is pretty safe I guess.... I think we can tip the odds to our favor if we always stay aware while driving. I am sure I saved my life a number of times on the road avoiding dangerous drivers.

I like reading about odds eheh. I remember a funny one about death they said, you have more chance dying from a vending machine crushing you than being killed by a shark. Although I wouldn't like my chances surviving if I was swimming with sharks in the first place  :o

Is this a story or real? eheheh. Over here we never get ice on the road, I remember when I first visited Germany in the winter I was amazed how slippery the road gets. I fell over so many times it wasn't funny!
www.pianovision.com

Offline momopi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 12:17:05 PM
>___< I had an out of body experience during one of my fainting spells.

Little blood? Maybe. Just weird body, but I'm used to it.  ;)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 12:24:20 PM
What was the out of body experience like?
www.pianovision.com

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 12:25:32 PM
Yeah... I know what you all mean.  I got a papercut once.  Nasty business.  
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline momopi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 12:43:26 PM
What was the out of body experience like?

Hmm... I knew I was gonna faint so I put my reading glasses down on the table. I even tried to hold the edges the table to control it but the sense of touch was slowly fading away. I tried calling the girl on the next table (she was one year ahead of me) but no voice came out. My body fell down while my soul (or whatever that amorphous thing that inhabits my body) remained sitted (?) on the chair. Then it went somewhere, flew around maybe. I heard voices getting louder and louder and the amorphous thing went back to my body.

Apparently, the teachers were screaming my name and slapping my face. I was so shocked at their facial expressions. Why were they worried? I mean, I enjoyed my little travel. But then I realize it was very dangerous, so yeah I think it's a good thing to call someone's name repeatedly when they faint. Because the first sense they regain is the sense of hearing, then sense of touch. (too bad, Beethoven lost it. I can feel his frustration.) I dunno about sense of taste because they didn't put food in my mouth.

The out of body experience felt like seconds. It was very fast, but teachers and librarian told me I was unconscious for quite a long time and that I wouldn't open my eyes no matter what they do. So I guess, concept of time is different for body and soul.

PS: my mind was conscious all the time. I was even talking to myself the whole time. so maybe the term unconscious doesn't really apply to me.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 12:44:39 PM
Yeah... I know what you all mean.  I got a papercut once.  Nasty business.  
It depends where the paper cut was. I can imagine some very painful places. Carpet burn is worse I think.  ;D

My body fell down while my soul (or whatever that amorphous thing that inhabits my body) remained sitted (?) on the chair. Then it went somewhere, flew around maybe. I heard voices getting louder and louder and the amorphous thing went back to my body.
I fainted once and managed to fall to a sitting position. It felt like my body just melted into the earth, like I was 100 times heavier. I didn't fly around though, it was just black and I heard everyone around me. Then I woke up with a horrible nauseating headache and sweating like I've never before.
www.pianovision.com

Offline momopi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 12:52:52 PM
It felt like my body just melted into the earth, like I was 100 times heavier.

I know what you mean. Like you don't have control over your body. Gravity just sucks you to earth.

Offline dana_minmin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 03:14:10 PM
I lost concious in a hot humid summer day in 2000 when I was heading to the exam venue. I had to climb very long stairs, all the way to the top of it, before arriving there. I fainted at about 3/4 way there. I would have been rolling back to the bottom of the stairs if I were alone, luckily I was not, I was with my mom. She grabbed me in time and let me fall on her. (I love mom.) I regained concious and then fainted again.

Sight is the last sense to recover. But it's quite comfortable to faint because your whole body is totally relaxed:P

Offline momopi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 04:26:59 PM
I lost concious in a hot humid summer day in 2000 when I was heading to the exam venue. I had to climb very long stairs, all the way to the top of it, before arriving there. I fainted at about 3/4 way there. I would have been rolling back to the bottom of the stairs if I were alone, luckily I was not, I was with my mom. She grabbed me in time and let me fall on her. (I love mom.) I regained concious and then fainted again.

Sight is the last sense to recover. But it's quite comfortable to faint because your whole body is totally relaxed:P

Haha. Seems like we're all sensitive to humidity. I wonder how people who live near desert survive. Their bodies must somehow function a little bit differently. Acclimatization?

Yeah, sight is the last to recover. But don't you think that beyond the sense of sight, there's another sight inside you? Like when you close your eyes and yet still see the light? Did you see anything while you were unconscious? I didn't see anything specific while I was unconscious. It was just nothingness. And that's what I saw - nothingness. My eyes were closed but I saw it. And it was all over the place. As if space and time lost its meaning for that moment. I didn't know if I was in the center or on the edge, if it has been a second or an hour. It was neither still nor moving. And I was just there, floating.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 09:49:30 PM
I've thought about it when I'm driving.  (Uh-oh, giving my age away now)

But ever vehicle you pass.  They're only like 10 feet away.  So you're 10 feet from death right?

Or that one moment when someone driving isn't paying attention and you're crossing the street.  Sure you make it across, but how many second were you away from getting hit?  If you didn't move fast enough, you would have been hit.... What if that driver wasn't paying attention at that critical moment? 

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 07:26:39 AM
Somewhen in my 20ies I almost stepped accidentally in front of a train and my girlfriend kept me back.

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 12:49:24 PM
You know it took me this one accident to scare me into realizing how much energy is behind a serious crash. It pretty much made me see the reality that driving can be a very deadly affair where your decisions can mean life or death. I would love to see all new young drivers physically experience themselves what it is like to have a crash in some controlled manner, I am sure it would save a few lives.

Did you ever have to take drivers training?

I had to take it, I was never interested in cars so by the time I wanted to drive I had no experience.  My dad didn't want to teach me, and my stepmom tried but she was amazingly stressful to drive with, so I just signed up for training.  They made it pretty clear in class how much force is behind the wheel!  I think most of the driving instructors came to that job because of some tragedy.  It was a personal mission for them.

The on-road instruction was quite stressful too!  The instructor immediately tells me to go downtown (I have hardly any experience), and for about 2 hours he's giving me directions and pouring info into my ear while I'm trying to pay attention "mirror, mirror, shoulder, signal, mirror, mirror, shoulder, change lanes".  Intense teaching method, but it worked out pretty good, I was a pretty safe driver by the time I got out of there.

(though, for the driving test the examiner allowed me to pass because I "seem like a good kid" :o)

So Kellykelly - if you're tentative, sign up for a drivers training course!  Then you'll have no choice but to learn it  ;D

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 07:41:14 PM
Or if you don't realize it.  When you've come close to death and you're not aware of it... So you just go on about your day, none the wiser.

I guess a similar situation is when you are aware of what almost just happened and then you have to go right back to normal life worries. 

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 01:30:07 AM
I've thought about it when I'm driving.  (Uh-oh, giving my age away now)

But ever vehicle you pass.  They're only like 10 feet away.  So you're 10 feet from death right?
The same when you go to the top of a tall building. All you have to do it jump out of the window and its all over. But what is the chances that you will make the choice to do it? Very remote that you choose to do it, but the probability of it occurring because of an accident is possible. However we can control factors that contribute to the outcome, we can't always avoid it but more often than not we can.

So you will never choose to crash the car if you have a sane mind. So that risk of death is not there and only relies on your skill of operating the car in the correct fashion to live and driving prophylactically so that you don't get yourself into trouble.

Ha! As a side note: I just wrote prophylactically and it comes out as a spelling error, have I spelled it wrong?

Or if you don't realize it.  When you've come close to death and you're not aware of it... So you just go on about your day, none the wiser.
What situations would they be that you are near death but not aware of it? Probably random incidences? An Aunt and Uncle of mine where holidaying in Penang when the Boxing Day Tsunami hit. They where actually on the beach chatting to an old couple who where sun bathing in the morning sun minutes before it hit, then the bus beeped its horn to call them to go up to the mountain and my aunt and uncle waved goodbye to the older couple. While they where going up they saw the wave come right over the beach they where standing on and its terrible destruction carry on inland. The first thought that they had was for the older couple they had talked to on the beach then how they had just escaped death. They where quite high up already, and they took one photo from the top after the wave subsided which is terribly grim. A lot of floating bodies from a very far distance but you can make them out.

Did you ever have to take drivers training?
They made it pretty clear in class how much force is behind the wheel! 
In Australia it is compulsory that you receive professional driving training from a driving instructor if you apply for your first drivers license. But when I went for my license we didn't have to do this, I believe it was the last year that you could do it without having training. However I had this accident before I got my license so I was very much aware how easily you can die if you put yourself in a bad situation. I just don't think that many young drivers are actually aware of the power behind a smash.
www.pianovision.com

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 02:41:18 AM
I don't think I've heard driving described that way before.  Haha.  Maybe if someone were driving a Probe.  Haha.

Well, almost being hit by a car or driving off the road.  Those types of situations.  Shocks the heck out of you and then life returns to normal pretty quick.  Or you're still stunned but other people around you are worrying about things that suddenly seem very insignificant.

Offline momopi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 12:31:57 AM
Somewhen in my 20ies I almost stepped accidentally in front of a train and my girlfriend kept me back.

Eeekkk! this is very scary.  :-\ even if you're not hit directly, it still super dangerous... (that's why lots of suicidal ones commit suicide on railways.. one surefire death) be careful...

You're lucky to have your girlfriend...  :D

Offline morningstar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 02:22:55 AM
Eeekkk! this is very scary.  :-\ even if you're not hit directly, it still super dangerous... (that's why lots of suicidal ones commit suicide on railways.. one surefire death) be careful...

You're lucky to have your girlfriend...  :D
I met a guy who tried to commit suicide by train and failed...He looked nasty :(

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 02:37:11 AM
I met a guy who tried to commit suicide by train and failed...He looked nasty :(
That would be horrible. I always say to people who say "Oh I wan't to kill myself." I say, well do a good job of it or you might end up living with a disability your whole life. Actually when it comes to suicide I have little sympathy for the people. It is such a selfish act and to make your last act on earth such a selfish one is not very good. Also we never know what is around the corner do we?

I was in Sydney for the first time and waited by the traffic lights to cross the road. Then my aunt pulled me back as a bus came past probably a couple of centimeters from the curb. They never drive that close to the curb back home, so this was a surprise for me and almost cost me to find it out.

Now that I think back, I almost died from a fever when I was a little child. My parents had to put me in a bath full of ice. I also remember when I was about 3 falling off a slide and my dad caught me by one leg as my head plummeted for the concrete.
www.pianovision.com

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 03:00:35 AM
It's really not very courteous to jump in front of a train either.  Think of the poor conductor!

I've heard that the Canadian Pacific Railway came up with a slogan for the suicides - "Use trees, not trains!"

Offline morningstar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 05:33:05 AM
That would be horrible. I always say to people who say "Oh I wan't to kill myself." I say, well do a good job of it or you might end up living with a disability your whole life. Actually when it comes to suicide I have little sympathy for the people. It is such a selfish act and to make your last act on earth such a selfish one is not very good. Also we never know what is around the corner do we?
And some of them use it to get attention while they do it too! We get a few on the bridges here who stand there til someone calls the cops and they start to negotiate. You'd think if you wanted to do it that badly, you'd just get it over with? If you got talked down you'd get crap for ages about it anyway.

Offline popdog

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 09:02:14 AM
I didn't think I'd really had any near death experiences but just thought of one then.  I remember just after I got my P's (probationary license) I was driving to a mates place for a welcome back party with a couple of slabs in the boot.  I pulled out onto a highway and got up to cruising speed, then I wondered why all the cars had dropped back and realised they'd stopped at a red light which I had just sped through.   Could have had a really nasty pranger. 

As for suicide, a person I know committed suicide last week.  Completely agree about it being a selfish act, especially after hearing Mum on the phone to the bloke's mother.  Mind you this guy was a bit crazy after abusing drugs for a few years.  Really shocked everyone. 

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 02:22:35 PM
I was standing on the end of the pavement in Oxford street London yesturday...and it was full of people as usual! So I was balancing on the edge, and looking to my left. Then out of nowhere a bus travelling really fast came from my right, missed my head by about 1 cm. that was quite scary. It was really scary, and happened so fast, and I wouldn't have known anything about it if it had hit me.

Once when I was about 12 I got some toast stuck in the toaster, and I tried to get it out with a metal knife. All the electricity in the house went off, and the toaster never worked again. I was totally fine, but my mum screamed at me for hours for nearly killing myself.

Offline morningstar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 02:31:01 PM
I was totally fine, but my mum screamed at me for hours for nearly killing myself.
Ah, you get used to getting yelled at for doing stupid stuuf with electiricity after a while.

Offline dana_minmin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 03:02:10 PM
Haha. Seems like we're all sensitive to humidity. I wonder how people who live near desert survive. Their bodies must somehow function a little bit differently. Acclimatization?

Yeah, sight is the last to recover. But don't you think that beyond the sense of sight, there's another sight inside you? Like when you close your eyes and yet still see the light? Did you see anything while you were unconscious? I didn't see anything specific while I was unconscious. It was just nothingness. And that's what I saw - nothingness. My eyes were closed but I saw it. And it was all over the place. As if space and time lost its meaning for that moment. I didn't know if I was in the center or on the edge, if it has been a second or an hour. It was neither still nor moving. And I was just there, floating.

Sorry to reply this late.
I didn't see anything at that moment, I was just not concious. Yeah it's like you've just lost a couple of minutes without noticing it before people tell you that you lost concious. actually I experienced quite a few times, triggered by hot humid weather, pain or other stimuli... I'm fragile haha. I thought my eyes were closed but people told me they're not really closed. Well, it's a very relaxing experience.  :P

Offline pianoplayer88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 02:02:04 AM
This wasn't a near death experience but since some of you were talking about fainting, I almost fainted last year...
We were visiting my grandma and uncle and were going to go to a water park. I was doing my younger sister's hair and reached in my mom's cosmetic bag to get a rubber band to tie up my sister's hair. I didn't realize until it was too late that my mom's razor was in there and the cover had fallen off. I had sliced off the corner of my finger. I rinsed it under the faucet. BAD IDEA! It stung like crazy. I ran downstairs, put a paper towel around it and sat down in a chair. By this time, everyone had found out what had happened and were all standing there just looking at me. My mom said I had turned white and I was in cold sweat. Their voices started sounding fuzzy and my vision was getting blurry. I didn't pass out but I wish I did because it hurt pretty bad when I had to take the paper towel off.
Much to the dismay of my younger siblings, we did not go to the water park.
When you wait for love, it feels like forever. But it's all worth it in the end.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 02:23:16 AM
And some of them use it to get attention while they do it too! We get a few on the bridges here who stand there til someone calls the cops and they start to negotiate. You'd think if you wanted to do it that badly, you'd just get it over with? If you got talked down you'd get crap for ages about it anyway.
It seems sad that the only way to get attention is threatening to kill yourself. I know a close friend of the family who's partner died and she never got over it. She just spiraled deep into depression and wanted to stay there. It was almost as if she got out of it she would forget him. Some people think very strange ways to remember a loved one.

I didn't think I'd really had any near death experiences but just thought of one then.  I remember just after I got my P's (probationary license) I was driving to a mates place for a welcome back party with a couple of slabs in the boot.  I pulled out onto a highway and got up to cruising speed, then I wondered why all the cars had dropped back and realised they'd stopped at a red light which I had just sped through.   Could have had a really nasty pranger. 
That reminds me when me and two friends where going for a drive. We where just chatting away then I realized my mate drove through a red light, and it wasn't changing red it was already red! I just looked at my other friend who wasn't the driver with an open mouth and we just let out a sound of disbelief!

This friend who drove actually almost crashed into someone who pulled out of their driveway. We where coming down a huge hill and he didn't even notice the person was pulling out. I said, "CAR!" and if it wasn't for that we would have hit him bad. Then a few months later we got seriously hit by that driver who tore the car apart. I should have seen it coming!

As for suicide, a person I know committed suicide last week.  Completely agree about it being a selfish act, especially after hearing Mum on the phone to the bloke's mother.  Mind you this guy was a bit crazy after abusing drugs for a few years.  Really shocked everyone. 
Suicide is such a messy and annoying business. I think everyone considers suicide one time in their life. Perhaps not with intense seriousness but in some form or the other. We just know how to block it out and move on in life. I feel sorry for those who cannot help but dwell upon it but they have no right to kill themselves. However sometimes it seems that no one cares, no one would notice that they are missing, it is a sad affair in that respect. I have a lot of empathy for those who suffer depression, but we can never know if it is suicidal depression because they keep it so secret sometimes.

I was standing on the end of the pavement in Oxford street London yesturday...and it was full of people as usual! So I was balancing on the edge, and looking to my left. Then out of nowhere a bus travelling really fast came from my right, missed my head by about 1 cm. that was quite scary. It was really scary, and happened so fast, and I wouldn't have known anything about it if it had hit me.
This situation is so common I am sure there have been many people hurt or killed by passing traffic. I remember I learned about the dangers of roadside curbs when I was very young. I sat on the curb near my house playing with little cars and a real car came flying past and crushed one of my toys that was just near the curbside. It made me realize that the curb offers no protection :) Still I forgot about the dangerous curbs when I was in Sydney... We only have to forget for a split second don't we?

All this fainting :) It reminds me of old fashioned movies where you always see the women in distress falling into a mans arms with the back of her hand over her forehead. :)

www.pianovision.com

Offline tanman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 09:16:52 AM
me has one!
I tripped and a sharp rusted pole that was sticking out of the ground almost cut through my throat when I landed. just a few inches away from it.  :P
Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of identity theft.

Offline dana_minmin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 01:49:55 PM
um... the location of fainting is the key. I fainted while climbing long stairs. I would have died or seriously injured if I fell along the stairs.

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: September 23, 2008, 10:13:01 AM
When I was very little, like around aged 6 I nearly burnt my house down. I was eating breakfast before school, and my mum was upstairs getting ready for work. I decided to play with a paper aeroplane that my dad had made, and started throwing it around the living room. I threw it, and it landed in the fire, so I plulled it out of the fire, and tried to blow it out, but obviously that wasn't going to work, as it started to burn my hand! So I dropped it on the the carpet, and there was a fire! I ran tried to get my mum, but she thought I was talking about a fire on tv, and refused to come downstairs...then she finally came, and somehow managed to put it out....but a huge patch of the carpet was burnt, and we had to get a new carpet. My mum went mad at me, and my dad went mad at my mum for leaving me alone. I always used to do silly things when I was young that could have killed me.

Once at my mums friends house when I was around 7ish I got really bored, and all I had for amusment was some maltesers sweets. I tried to fit as many as possible in my mouth, and ended up choking and almost having to go to hospital. I almost got the whole packet in my mouth! Then realised I couldn't breathe haha

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 07:08:22 AM
haha death by chocolate would be funny!

I almost burnt down a few a bush that was near my home when I was a child playing with matches. I lit the fire and the bush went up, it was mostly dry wood so it burnt fast. The fire brigade came and everything! Our house could have been burnt down :) That bush was full of snakes, people always lit it on purpose. The smoke can choke you bad though!
www.pianovision.com

Offline tanman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 08:30:54 AM
I have another near death one!
When I was little, I got my head stuck in between a railing and a wall, and I couldn't breath. Luckily this was at a restaurant and everyone saw me.
Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of identity theft.

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 01:32:40 AM
My friend once woke up in the middle of the night to screaming. She ran downstairs and her father thought he was dying. He was somewhat paralyzed, but also in pain. He actually began to write his will. Her mother was thousands of km overseas... She and her younger sister had to deal with it themselves. Luckily, her father ended up being okay, but it must have been such a terrifying experience for all involved. I can't imagine being in such a situation... and I feel so guilty because this happened a full year ago and I never knew until now.

I must be a really pathetic person. This didn't even happen to me and I cried over it for at least 10 minutes...
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline G.W.K

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: October 04, 2008, 06:37:25 PM
Two years ago, I was in the library and suddenly, without any known reason, I began choking violently. The librarian got nervous and began shepherding me around the library, trying to find assistance whilst I was turning purple.

It felt as if there was something stuck in my throat, yet I hadn't eaten anything. The librarian found two firemen outside in the street and when I was shepherded to them, they just stared at me...not thinking of performing a Hindlick Maneuver!

I remember everything beginning to grow faint and distant and thinking as I was struggling for breath, "Oh god, I'm going to die."

Then, just like it arrived, it stopped suddenly. The librarian managed to contact a nurse who checked me over and said there was no logical reason for the choking.

Since then, I've avoided firemen and libraries.

G.W.K
When I'm right, no one remembers. When I'm wrong, no one forgets!

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: October 04, 2008, 08:04:04 PM
Near Death Experiences

Sh*t loadz, the most recent one was when I was crossing the road, it was green for me and red for the motorists, anyway this guy was obviously in a rush so he hit me as I was walking across the road I landed on his car windscreen but some-how landed back on my feet on the raod again ( gravity ). He eventually decided to apologoise and shake my hand but I refused, I walked away. As a motorist myself I do see a lot of accidents on the road.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: October 04, 2008, 08:40:05 PM
Somebody once tried to set one of my farts alight.

I woz later told dis is very dangerous and it could of killed me.

On another occasion, i accidentally swallowed a nuclear warhead.

I is OK now, but i do glow in the dark.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline G.W.K

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: October 04, 2008, 08:43:04 PM
Somebody once tried to set one of my farts alight.
I woz later told dis is very dangerous and it could of killed me.
On another occasion, i accidentally swallowed a nuclear warhead.
I is OK now, but i do glow in the dark.

*SIGHS* Have you been at the drink again?

And how long have you been a Silver Member again?

G.W.K
When I'm right, no one remembers. When I'm wrong, no one forgets!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: October 04, 2008, 08:55:18 PM
When i was 7 years old, i accidentally wandered onto the runway at Heathrow Airport when a 747 was landing.

My head was crushed, i suffered 100% 1st degree burns, my ribs were all broken and my entrails were later found 200 yards away under a bush.

The Captain said i was very lucky as i could have been hurt.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert