Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Should I teach forbidden parallel fifths/octaves?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Should I teach forbidden parallel fifths/octaves?
on: July 26, 2004, 04:47:59 PM
Ok, I am teaching someone western harmony. My student isn't really interested in jazz or classical music(of course I hope this will change) but is interested in rock and blues. This is the first time I teach someone and I have a hard time balancing between jazz and between classical theory(because I am a perfectionist I guess, the teaching itself goes pretty wel).

Not using them sounds alot better in the harmonic exercises I am teaching him and thus help the student getting a feel for western tonal music. But this person is never going to become a classical composer, rather pop/jazz/rock style music. And in jazz, chords that move chromatic and entirely parallel sound really good and smooth. Obviously these rules have no place at all in jazz.

I am still not sure what to do...

Offline reinvent

• PS Silver Member
Re: Should I teach forbidden parallel fifths/octav
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 01:58:11 AM
My suggestion would be not to elaborate on it much - since they are into pop music.  I would teach them about it a little bit, though.
The idea of being a perfectionist gets a little hard when different rules apply to different music.  
Once I learned how to do part writing - and took music lessons afterwards, most all of the music I was given to learn was loaded with parallel 5ths and 8s. (I was not into Bach obviously)  8) When I asked about it, thinking I was finding a mistake....I was told this was different kind of music.  And not all of it was jazz, a lot of it was good praise music - other kinds.
What does anyone else think?

Offline joeltr888

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 10:53:46 PM
Just explain to your student the reason for avoiding parallels in common practice music, and then tell them that the rules go out the window when it comes to blues/jazz.

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 12:57:33 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice.

I think I am going to forbid them in the 4-part writings. That seems the best thing to do. This way the student will get a good understanding of how simple tonal music works. In my opinion using no parallel 5s and 8s gives a better movement to the music and makes the individual chords more clear.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert