Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Mozart Piano Concerto no 17, K453  (Read 5579 times)

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Mozart Piano Concerto no 17, K453
on: September 09, 2006, 06:45:54 PM
Hi all,

I am posting the three movements separately, as it won't seem to let me put them all in one post.  Thanks to piano121  ;D I managed to get this into the right (I think!) format to post it. 

It is a live performance I played of K453 a few years ago with Chamber Orchestra of Florida.  It is not flawless (never!) but I hope some of you will listen and enjoy.

Teresa

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Mozart Piano Concerto no 17, mvt 2
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 06:48:27 PM
Second movement.

Teresa

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Mozart Piano Concerto no 17-- 3rd mvt
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 06:49:53 PM
3rd movement.  This is the one Mozart supposedly composed after listening to his pet starling twittering.  ;)

Teresa

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Piano Concerto no 17, K453-- 1st mvt
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 12:25:16 AM
Hi Teresa
i enjoy listening to your Mozart. To play Mozart's concertos is one of the hardest things one can do, I think. You're very exposed. And you master this challenge greatly! I can hear that you love this music very much. In the first solo (around 3.12  there are some rhythmical uncertaintys, I guess due to nervosity. Then successively your playing gets more stable and sure. You have a nice singing tone, though I have the suspicion the piano didn't respond as you would have liked. What piano did you play on? Good job anyway. Going to listen to second mvt. now

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 12:37:47 AM
Hi pianowolfi,

Thanks!  I was a bit nervous, of course, as I don't play often in public, and the orchestra and I had only two rehearsals. 

You are very perceptive.  I was playing a Baldwin concert grand, which had difficulty sustaining the high treble notes, and had a few harsh notes in the midrange.  I am used to a Steinway, and the challenge was to get some semblance of cantabile while purposely playing the upper range significantly louder than I normally had when practicing.  It was even harder in the 2nd movement because the notes tended to die out so quickly. 

Thanks again for your observations and nice words.  :)

Teresa

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Piano Concerto no 17, mvt 2
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 12:38:24 AM
Also here  i like your Mozart perception. When do you make a cd of this? I would be interested.  :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Piano Concerto no 17-- 3rd mvt
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 12:52:27 AM
It's cheering me up to listen to this. You and the orchestra sound fine. Sometimes the orchestra seems to play not exactly together. But I know how difficult that is in Mozart. I've played several Mozart Compositions with an amateur orchestra as a cellist, when I was a teenie. Uh, some parts of that mvt really sound tricky! Must have been a very persistent musical pet bird also  ;D Keep going the good work!

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Piano Concerto no 17-- 3rd mvt
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 01:18:16 AM
Hi wolfi,

You are very nice to listen and comment on all three movements!  Yes, the orchestra made a few mistakes--they got off a little bit a couple of times. They were pros and semi-pro, but with 2 rehearsals total, sometimes I think it's a miracle everybody ended at more or less the same time!  ;)

Teresa

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 01:21:51 AM
Pianowulfi,

This was recorded but not commercially--just for private use.  I have no plans to make a CD of it in the future.   If you would like a CD of this performance, PM me with your address, and I'll burn one and send it to you.  :)

Glad you enjoyed!
Teresa

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 03:24:12 AM
Hello! Iīm glad you split the movments as you wanted.  :)

Gosh! you rock big time!  ;D The recording is fantastic. I have no complaints about it. You manage to play Mozart concertos very well. The music has spirit. You and the orquestra portrait the essensse of Mozart very beautifully. The little slips realy donīt botter me at all. You did a great job with your nerves!, I can imagine the dificulty of playing it with the orquestra in public, and with only 2  :P rehearsals.

Congrats, you are a great pianist! I can only wish to be play Mozart the way you do!  ;D

All 3 movments are quite amazing. The recording quality seems to be better than he PC n19 you did. Specialy the second mov. is so beautifull, it has that darker quality in some moments, that counters so well with the joyfullness of Mozart. You did great!

If you have any other recordings, please share with us.

keep it up!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 11:08:46 AM
Pianowulfi,

This was recorded but not commercially--just for private use.  I have no plans to make a CD of it in the future.   If you would like a CD of this performance, PM me with your address, and I'll burn one and send it to you.  :)

Glad you enjoyed!
Teresa

I meant, you should produce a studio recording, with another piano. But maybe you can't have the orchestra again for that? i don't need a cd of this, I have all the files downloaded. :)

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Piano Concerto no 17, K453
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 11:34:05 AM
Thanks, guys!  I see someone has combined all 3 movements in one thread--thank you, whoever did. 

Pianowulfi, I don't have an opportunity to get the orchestra to do a recording, although I would love to.  And piano121, thank you, too--the recording was bettter than the one of no 19, because the audio guy re-did no 19 digitally in order to remove a lot of extraneous sound that somehow got on the original.  So he in effect removed a LOT of the resonance and dynamic range, especially in the treble. 

Thanks for the nice comments!  ;D
Teresa

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 11:35:17 AM
  Listining to the first MVT sounds very good.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline radical.tunes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 12:42:26 PM
very nice recording, how ol are you

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 01:23:57 PM
Thanks, zheer and radical!

I am an old lady, radical.   8)
Teresa

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 03:24:14 PM
Indeed it has a very prfoessional recording quality. You realy could make a CD out of it. You know, even the top pianists have some litle mistakes in live performances. Comparing with studio recordings, live performances are much more expressive. I recently bought I CD with Brahms concertos 1 and 2, both Nelson Freireīs live performances. Amazing interpretation! But anyway they have made a few corrections, to cover up "imperfections". As they do in most comercial CDs. :) Most Mozart recordings of this concerto arenīt realy better than yours. You hit a very high standard, along with the orquestra, conductor and sound engineer. I think if you guys had more time, you could reach perfection! ;D Hope to hear more recs from you!

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 03:53:51 PM
! ;D Hope to hear more recs from you!

Thanks piano, I really appreciate it!  And likewise from you--you have a really lovely touch for Mozart.

Teresa
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert