Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Nocturne Op 27 no 2  (Read 8310 times)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Nocturne Op 27 no 2
on: November 17, 2007, 10:09:58 PM
This is, again, from a performance about 5 years ago.  Same Steinway D at my school.  Had an ear infection that night--got dizzy at the end--but other than that all should be okay.  :)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Nocturne Op 27 no 2
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 03:41:43 AM
Hi thalberg,

First, I must say you were valiant in playing the piano at all, as an ear infection can be painful and can cause balance issues and the dizziness you mention, so it must have been a real distraction.  It's much more difficult to play when you're not feeling your best.  Nevertheless, you rose to the occasion.

I've not studied this particular Nocturne, so can only speak in general terms this time.  I do believe that you turned in a very creditable performance indeed.  You brought a lot of poetry to it.  I like your treatment of the cantabile line--it's always songful, as it should be.  Very nice dynamic contrasts and nuances in your playing too.  There is a huge amount of fioraturas or embellishments here--appogiaturas, ever-present grace notes, short trills within figures, short cadenzas, etc!  Only Bach could have jammed as many devices into a piece!  But well executed, as with your playing, they add much charm to the music.  There are also numerous double note figurations, and you voice the tops of those nicely.  You play the instances of portato touch consistently throughout, well differentiating it from the surrounding legato passagework.  Overall, I believe yours is very expressive playing. 

Good work!  I enjoyed listening.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 05:11:10 AM
Hi thalberg,

First, I must say you were valiant in playing the piano at all, as an ear infection can be painful and can cause balance issues and the dizziness you mention, so it must have been a real distraction. 

You're correct about the balance issues-- I had to play Chopin Scherzo #3 after this piece, and when I had to do reach over  and do those downward cascading figures, I almost fell of the bench!!  It was terrifying! 
(I'm not referring to the performance posted elsewhere in this audition room--that one I did another time.)

I've not studied this particular Nocturne, so can only speak in general terms this time.  I do believe that you turned in a very creditable performance indeed.  You brought a lot of poetry to it.  I like your treatment of the cantabile line--it's always songful, as it should be.  Very nice dynamic contrasts and nuances in your playing too.  There is a huge amount of fioraturas or embellishments here--appogiaturas, ever-present grace notes, short trills within figures, short cadenzas, etc!  Only Bach could have jammed as many devices into a piece!  But well executed, as with your playing, they add much charm to the music.  There are also numerous double note figurations, and you voice the tops of those nicely.  You play the instances of portato touch consistently throughout, well differentiating it from the surrounding legato passagework.  Overall, I believe yours is very expressive playing. 

Good work!  I enjoyed listening.

Thanks for those extremely kind comments!  It made my day!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:51:46 PM
I thought it was great. You seem to give the piece a real sense of forward momentum which i haven't heard from any other performances before, but still no feeling of being rushed. Such a breath of fresh air from the usual drifting, aimless playing inflicted on this piece. Apart from the odd grace note it is a very polished performance, even by professional standards.
Thanks for sharing!
“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” Leonard Bernstein

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 02:51:30 PM
Very dream-like and beautiful!

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 06:18:04 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone :)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 06:32:47 PM
  Extremely good. the only thing that i wanted to hear was more drama, you know that section where more is going on and the dynamics are high.If it had that drama this recording would be amongst the very best.Tanx for posting.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 12:42:43 AM
37 downloads and four comments.......hmmm.....

how does one interpret that?

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 05:16:30 PM
Now I understand why you have so much
respect here .....

The piece is so beautifully played!!!
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 06:11:40 PM
37 downloads and four comments.......hmmm.....

how does one interpret that?

It's better than having 4 downloads and 37 comments ... lol

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 09:18:04 PM
Now I understand why you have so much
respect here .....

The piece is so beautifully played!!!

Thanks!   :D

Offline aragonaise

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 06:27:20 PM
as what others have described, it was a very poetic rendition of the nocturne.

I like how your bass stands out in the middle section.
I like how you play it without too much fuss and sentimentality, while at the same time bring out the dreamy essence of the piece.

Just some comments solely from the point of view of me the listener...at Bar 18 and Bar 20, the double flat octaves are a bit too jarring for my liking. Perhaps the semiquaver octave can be softened in anticipation of the con forza.

Btw, may I enquire how do you tackle the running notes at the last movement (Bar 52)? I had problems especially when I had to place my thumb on one of the black keys. But you breeze through it like Chopin had intended.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 12:46:14 AM
Thanks for the comments, aragonaise!  I really appreciate it.

Offline nyonyo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 06:42:10 AM

Excellent performance!!  Your approach was totally different from that of Lang Lang.
Yours was more energetic from the beginning. Lang Lang is more dreamy like.

Since you are a piano expert, could you please share your view on Lang Lang's performance?

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 07:04:58 AM

Excellent performance!!  Your approach was totally different from that of Lang Lang.
Yours was more energetic from the beginning. Lang Lang is more dreamy like.

Since you are a piano expert, could you please share your view on Lang Lang's performance?

Surprisingly, I thought it was gorgeous and quite elegant (if not for his facial expressions).  He takes a bit slower tempo than in my recording, but I have played it at that tempo myself on occasion.  I think he gets a wider variety of colors than I do, and I like it very much.

Offline athenaeum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 01:06:15 AM
You play beautifully!!!!You are very expressive with a very good sound!Ihave played this nocturne for my conservatory exams six years ago and it is the one I love most!
I think you should play it a bit slower-you would have more time to express better this poem and take breaths so that you could relax your whole body and spirit..In the middle part the crescendo comes earlier than I would like and feel..My teacher always said "the crescendo comes a little bit after-not in the bar that it is written"...At the very end of this piece my teacher always told me "the sound now ventilates,go up to the sky,you are a spirit,follow yor sound,there are no bones in your fingers,they are made of cotton" and I absolutely agree with her....She taught me a lot...Anyway,that 's what I have to observe.I will try to find my recording from that exam for you to listen.I'm not really sure that I do whatever I said to you but as we all know it is always easier to listen and judge than playing :-)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 04:07:54 AM
I thought I'd listen to this nocturne again.  I stand by all of my many favorable comments above.  Wonderful artistry!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline dana_minmin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 11:14:46 AM
Hi Thal,

I think the tempo is a little fast for my taste, especially the end of measure 52.

On the whole, your playing is beautiful. Good work on 3 against 2, 5 against 2, 7 against 6.  ;) Your interpertation is a lot better than those I heard in youtube.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 03:00:13 PM
Very nice performance!  Together with op9/3 its my favourite Nocturne.Pity of the last part, you must have felt rotten about that ;)
The only comment i can give is that you maybe do abit too much tempo difference with your left hand at the first page. To my opinion you get a better line in the piece if you dont do many ritenuto's at the start, especially the left hand. But for the rest it was great!

About the Lang Lang performance, i was suprised too. I liked it more than pollini's, as long as i didnt look at the rediculous face expressions of mr Lang. I always get the idea that Lang Lang has to poo during his playing and has multiple orgasms. Maybe its the Chinese spacecake, i dont know.

gyzzzmo
1+1=11
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert