Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: G. Catoire, Prelude, Op. 17, No. 4 in B flat  (Read 4263 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
G. Catoire, Prelude, Op. 17, No. 4 in B flat
on: December 31, 2008, 08:43:49 PM
I'm pleased to post the Prelude, Op. 17, No. 4 in B flat of the late romantic Russian composer Georgy Catoire (1861-1926).  The four preludes of Op. 17 were published c. 1903.  The main influences on Catoire were Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Scriabin and Faure.  I hope you'll find this music enjoyable.  (Previously I posted here the Prelude, No. 2 in G.) 

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6'3")

Recording: Digital, Korg MR-1000 DSD

Comments welcome.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: G. Catoire, Prelude, Op. 17, No. 4 in B flat
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:58:25 AM
This is very beautiful, I can very much relate to this music and to your sensitive playing!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 03:16:45 AM
Hi wolfi,

First, Happy New Year to you!  Thanks so much for listening.  This music is so neglected, virtually unknown really, that it's difficult to know what listeners will think of it.  I'm so glad you enjoyed the prelude!  And thank you for your kind words about my playing. :)

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 08:53:47 AM
I should make a resolution to listen to more of your recordings, Rachfan. You always have rare and beautiful gems to offer us! 

Dave
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:04:11 PM
Hi furtwaengler,

I'm very flattered by your kind words.  As you can probably tell, I love playing Bortkiewicz and Catoire.  In this Catoire prelude, my interpretation is somewhat different from Mark Hamelin's, but that's OK, as it shows different possibilities for playing this beautiful work.  Thanks for listening!

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 07:40:13 AM
This is a wonderful piece wonderfully played, Rachfan.  Catoire is becoming a favorite of mine.  I hear shades of Debussy in this one.  I look forward to more.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 03:19:46 PM
Hi goldentone,

Thanks for your compliment!  Yes, I would agree that there are some moments when there is a fleeting sense of impressionism.  And others where there seems to be a nod to expressionism too, as there is high emotional content in this music.  Catoire has his own place among the late romantics.  It's truly an amazing repertoire.

I'm already at work on another Catoire work, but it appears that I'll be robbed of January and practice time...  I've been called to jury duty for the month at the county superior court. Not that I don't want to perform my civic duty, but.... :(
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert