Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Preludes!!!  (Read 4344 times)

Chitch

Preludes!!!
on: January 06, 2004, 12:10:41 AM
I'm thinking of buying some preludes by various artists but don't know where to begin. Please post a list as large as you can recall that contains relitavely nice preludes (Op's and No's please!)

Offline meiting

• PS Silver Member
Re: Preludes!!!
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 02:15:21 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean... different preludes by different composers? recordings thereof? music?
music-wise, obviously the Chopin, the Bach WTC, bach organ preludes, the bach-busoni choral preludes (rather nice actually, despite the fact that I hate busoni most of the times, his transcriptions of bach's not bad.. except for the chaconne), the Rachmaninoff.. op. 23 and 32. I like 23 better as a group, but 32 has some of the most beautiful piano writing.. etc.
Debussy...

umm.. I know I'm forgetting some, but in my sickly state I'm not even going to attempt to remember. Somebody else fill them in please :P

(sign of a great leader - delegation of labour ;D)
Living for music is a sad state. Living to play music is not.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 03:21:14 AM
Preludes:

Baroque
JS Bach – 48 preludes & fugues in two volumes
Eberlin – Prelude and fugue in E minor

Romantic

Alkan – 25 preludes op. 25
Arensky – 12 preludes op.63
Chopin – 24 preludes Op.28
Conconne – 24 Brilliant preludes op. 37 (these are actually etudes in all keys).
Delius – Three preludes (no op. numbers – These are very nice, flowing arpeggios and impressionist)
Heller – 24 Preludes Op. 81. Also 32 preludes op. 119  (these were written for children)
Mendelssohn – 6 Preludes and fugues op. 35

Modern
Allende-Saron – Deux preludes
Amirov – 2 preludes
Lee Anderson – 3 preludes
Bashmakov – 6 preludes
Bowles – Folk preludes (these are very easy, high quality arrangements of American folk tunes). For more advanced stuff by the same composer, try his “Six preludes”.
Casadesus – 24 preludes
Chavez – Ten preludes (good for small hands)
Crawford – 4 preludes
Creston – Six preludes Op. 38
Debussy – 24 preludes in two volumes.
Ducasse – 6 preludes
Faure – 9 preludes op. 103
Franck – Prelude, chorale & fugue; Prelude , aria & finale, Prelude, fugue & variation.
Galindo – Five preludes (good for small hands)
Gershwin – 3 Preludes for piano
Ginastera – 12 American preludes
Gliere – 25 preludes op. 30
Griffes – Three preludes (perhaps the only American impressionist)
Hart – 3 preludes
Ireland – 4 preludes.
Kabalevsky – 24 preludes, Op. 38 (follows Chopin’s key progression) also, 6 preludes and fugues op. 61
Legros – Trois preludes (Impressionistic)
Luening – 8 preludes
Maykapar – 20 pedal preludes (written as exercises for use of the pedal)
Moore - Prelude
Muczynski – 6 preludes op. 6
Palmer – 3 preludes
Prokofiev – Prelude Op. 12 no. 7
Rachmaninoff – Prelude op. 3 no. 2, 10 preludes op. 23 and 13 preludes op. 32 (making twenty four in all, covering all keys)
Ravel – Prelude
Reger – 6 preludes and fugues op. 99
Respighi – 3 preludes on Gregorian melodies.
Rieger - Prelude
Rieti – 12 preludes (this guy should be better known!)
Scriabin – Preludes op. 2, op. 11, op. 13, op. 17, op.22, op.31, op. 37 and op. 74
Shostakovitch – Preludes op. 34 and Preludes and fugues op. 87 (both sets of 24 covering all keys), plus Five preludes (written when Shostakovitch was 14).
Tansman – 4 preludes.
Thomson – Prelude
Valen – Prelude and fugue op. 28
Zabrack – Preludes.

I know, I should get a life... :(
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 03:44:13 AM
Congratulations to Bernhard for the longest posts award!

Oh, and before you decide to buy music for these prelude, you'd be wise to check www.sheetmusicarchive.net first, where music is free.
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Chitch

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 03:47:24 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean... different preludes by different composers? recordings thereof? music?

Everything listed, actually. Lol
umm.. I know I'm forgetting some, but in my sickly state I'm not even going to attempt to remember.

Super Fun Happy Pianist's sick!!!!!!!!! :o

I know, I should get a life...

No! It's because you don't have a life that I got this list of Preludes (lol, j/k :P)

thx thx thx! Get well Mei-Ting !

Chitch

Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 03:49:08 AM

Oh, and before you decide to buy music for these prelude, you'd be wise to check www.sheetmusicarchive.net first, where music is free.

I have Everything by Rachmaninoff downloaded onto a seperate hard drive from that site :D

Offline Rach3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 04:42:49 AM
Awesome, Bernhard, have you played them all?  ;D

I don't exactly understand the request, is there anything particularly interesting about prelude-form, if there is such a thing? Isn't a prelude a kind of free-form piece sort of?
"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them."
--Richard Wagner

Chitch

Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 04:46:02 AM
Isn't a prelude a kind of free-form piece sort of?

*Faints*

Offline Rach3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 05:24:03 AM
Ok, I'm sorry, I don't know what I am talking about, I have only played a bunch of the the Chopin ones and read a few of the Rach, and I have not yet attended a Conservatory or any serious formal stuff, but my understanding of a oh wait interrupt thought
--Richard Wagner

Offline Rach3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 05:31:18 AM
Ok, from definition (1) from New Harvard Dictionary of Music (my piano-top reference):

"A composition establishing the pitch or key of a following piece ... all feature an idiomatic virtuosity, rhythmic freedom, and loose thematic construction, reflecting frequent contemporaneous observations that they were usually improvised, particulary when serving a preludial function. "

--Richard Wagner

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 07:52:08 AM
It's already been said, but SCRIABIN SCRIABIN SCRIABIN!

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 02:07:42 PM
Awesome, Bernhard, have you played them all?  ;D

I wish! :(

This is just  part of my New Year's resolution list! ;D
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 02:08:38 PM

;D

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 02:23:43 PM
I was pleased to see the Ginastera mentioned, but you missed out Rautavaara ;),
Ed

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 02:28:22 PM
Tell me (us) about it. I know nothing about him (her?)  :-[although I saw it mentioned a number of times in the   forum.

Offline L.K.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 02:29:53 PM
Einojuhani Rautavaara!!!
Finally somebody mentioned a Finnish composer!!!
I don't really like his preludes but most of the other pieces he has written are great. :)

Offline meiting

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004, 07:55:38 PM

thx thx thx! Get well Mei-Ting !

Thanks. feeling much better already (two days? too short for flu. But my back's still killing me).

Bernhard, nice job! How long did that take you btw?;D

Regarding recordings of preludes - WTC by Edward Aldwell, highly recommended. Chopin preludes by Cortot, but he's recorded three complete sets and some not-so-complete ones, and you have to dig around to find the best one for each prelude. There's one of the G major that is out of this world.

I actually haven't listened to anybody's Rachmaninoff preludes recording - though i'll be putting mine up on my site in about a week (op. 23 only unfortunately). With regards to Debussy preludes, by far, the best were done by Gieseking. It's amazing how the best French music is played by a German :P

Scriabin, ask Thracozaag.

Have fun with them. Good resolution!
Living for music is a sad state. Living to play music is not.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2004, 10:03:27 PM
My personal recommendations for recordings of preludes:

Bach: Swiatoslaw Richter
Chopin: Martha Argerich
Debussy: Krystian Zimerman
Rachmaninov: Vladimir Ashkenazy

Ed

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 07, 2004, 01:50:20 PM
can someone please explain to me why pianists make a habit of playing a prelude as a main piece, or even worse,a set of preludes in one go?  if you play a prelude, shouldn't you follow it with a much larger, MAIN piece, thus actually making use of the prelude?  

isn't that what it's for?
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 07, 2004, 05:19:58 PM

Thanks. feeling much better already (two days? too short for flu. But my back's still killing me).

Bernhard, nice job! How long did that take you btw?;D

Regarding recordings of preludes - WTC by Edward Aldwell, highly recommended. Chopin preludes by Cortot, but he's recorded three complete sets and some not-so-complete ones, and you have to dig around to find the best one for each prelude. There's one of the G major that is out of this world.

I actually haven't listened to anybody's Rachmaninoff preludes recording - though i'll be putting mine up on my site in about a week (op. 23 only unfortunately). With regards to Debussy preludes, by far, the best were done by Gieseking. It's amazing how the best French music is played by a German :P

Scriabin, ask Thracozaag.

Have fun with them. Good resolution!

As far as the Preludes, the usual Scriabin suspects are in effect: Sofronitsky, Horowitz and Richter.  Kuerti has a wonderful recording of the last Preludes, Op. 74 (the last pieces Scriabin wrote).  Can't comment on complete sets, though.
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline bitus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 07, 2004, 07:13:37 PM
The most beautiful prelude i ever played was Ravel - Prelude from Tombeau de Couperin. It's in the repertoire i'm working on right now. It might not be as pleasing for amateur's ears to hear, but it is a hipnotizing piece to play.
Bitus
Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.

Offline ebubu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 03:07:02 AM
Preludes:

Ducasse – 6 preludes

You might note, just to be precise, that his name is Roger-Ducasse and not just Ducasse (first name Jean, and not Roger)....
Cheers !

Offline nikolasideris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 08:00:11 PM
There's the newly published Seven Diverse Preludes by Scott Aaron Miller and no opus number! :D

There's 3 youtube videos with 3 preludes out in our youtube channel

I know that this kind of post seems rather spamm-ish, but to be honest it IS preludes, it IS honest, and... oh well... :-/

And a tiny bit something about the preludes from the webpage:

Composer Scott Aaron Miller has created a collection of seven short preludes, for solo piano, in different styles. Some follow a style close to Scriabin while others go further back to even reach Rameau. However, each one holds the individual personality that Mr. Miller has acquired over the years as a seasoned composer.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert