Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Similar piece to Op.25 No.12  (Read 2705 times)

Offline frank_48

• PS Silver Member
Similar piece to Op.25 No.12
on: April 23, 2010, 11:45:42 AM
does anyone know of any pieces that are similar to chopins etude in the right hand, yet not as difficult?

im speaking of the up and down motion and hitting the same note with 1 and 5.

Playing Piano is the easiest thing in the world, All you have to do is have the right finger on the right key at the right moment.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Similar piece to Op.25 No.12
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:24:01 PM
25/12 isnt that hard, just start slowly and dont try to play it as fast as you hear on records. That is plenty of 'etude' ;)
1+1=11

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:31:21 PM
25/12 isnt that hard, just start slowly and dont try to play it as fast as you hear on records. That is plenty of 'etude' ;)
That's really not true. I know ppl who can play winterwind, and the 2nd, but still not play this very well. So it depends on your hand.

Uhm.. Look through the preludes. Many of them are like the etudes, but shorter and not that difficult.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:28:27 PM
That's really not true. I know ppl who can play winterwind, and the 2nd, but still not play this very well. So it depends on your hand.

Uhm.. Look through the preludes. Many of them are like the etudes, but shorter and not that difficult.

25/12 is an etude that is NOT so determined by hand size since it is only an octave wide and in arpeggio form. Students who have trouble with this etude are usually students that have an undelopped left hand and arent used to playing arpeggio's with left.

For the rest this is a pretty straight-forward etude, easy fingering and wich can also excellently played slowly for training arpeggio's.
1+1=11

Offline frank_48

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:31:11 PM
im not sure... i'd rather practice a piece in similar fashion and get the technique that way rather than butcher such a wonderful piece.
Playing Piano is the easiest thing in the world, All you have to do is have the right finger on the right key at the right moment.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:44:21 PM
im not sure... i'd rather practice a piece in similar fashion and get the technique that way rather than butcher such a wonderful piece.
As I said, Look at the preludes.

And well.. You have to reach a 6th in the righ hand, between 2 and 5. It's not huge, but it's not easier with smaller hands

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 03:58:18 PM
Rachmaninoff's Polichinelle.

There are some arpeggios in the right hand that end on a pinky and then the thumb plays the same note as it shifts up and octave, and vice versa.

Offline lontano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:01:04 AM

I agree. Personally I think 25/12 is very difficult even if I had the remotest ability to even try to play it. Yet I've seen amateur videos of children (pre-teen, with smaller hands) play this with remarkable facility. I only wish I could play it because I think it is a truly masterful work and probably my favorite of all the Chopin Etudes.
...and she disappeared from view while playing the Agatha Christie Fugue...

Offline dtao12

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 02:27:42 AM
I played 25#12 in recital before, and am working it back up for performance now.

I can't think of a similar piece in terms of the repeated notes with 5-1 fingering, but my suggestion is to stick with 25#12 and try practicing it slowly but with a dotted rhythm (dotted eighth and sixteenth) then reverse the order (sixteenth and dotted eighth). A piano teacher showed that practice technique, which forces the "fast changes" to occur at different spots, but still at an easy tempo. Then gradually increase the tempo a little each day, and occasionally switch back to the real rhythm (sixteenths) just to remind yourself how to play it evenly. The reverse rhythm (16th-dotted 8th) is especially useful because it forces a fast switch from 5th finger to 1st (RH) and 1st to 5th (LH). And making that switch accurately is really the hardest aspect of the piece, other than the sheer endurance factor.
Post-recital -- looking at whole new program
Currently learning:
Schubert: Sonata in A minor, D784
Barber: Excursions
Considering new Bach Preludes & Fugues
& Chopin Sonata #3

Offline carrot_cake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:30:38 PM
i believe les Jeux d'eau a la ville d-este by liszt, his Années de pèlerinage, has sections with quite a lot of arpeggios in both hands, but specifically with a section of descending and ascending arpeggios in theRH that repeat on the octave in a similar style to the chopin etude. Admittedly the section in question is not that long itself but it's quite lovely, relatively self contained and develops with a quite useful section with arpeggios and repeated notes.

Ok it's liszt so i'm not suggesting learning the whole piece as an 'easy alternative', but as an isolated section it may help with coordination of the right hand using the same movement of the etude, while the left hand plays chorded melody. and the section in question isn't to hard too but delightful enough to warrant replay value once you've got it under the fingers.

Not sure if that's what you had in mind but hope it's not a terrible suggestion :S

(and sorry i don't have the music to hand so i don't have bar numbers, but it'll be pretty obvious if you look at the music...i think)

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 05:54:28 PM
I agree that it depends on your hand (not necessarily the size)... I am actually able to play through the Op10 #1 (after lots of work these past few weeks) at around 120 metronome mark, but the Op 25#12 IMO is tougher. 

Debussy's 'Reflets dans l'Eau' has lots of arpeggios that fit really well under the hand, and a climactic section with a massive Eb major arpeggio that both hands play.  Check that one out!
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert