Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: buying a piano, need help.  (Read 3213 times)

Offline butterfly79

• PS Silver Member
buying a piano, need help.
on: August 05, 2010, 01:37:17 PM
I am ready to buy my piano:)
I am going to be renting to own which only charges me the monthly cost of ownership and taxes. I will be putting a deposit on the piano so the monthly cost isn't so bad. I would be getting a Kawai K15, which is a nice piano for a beginner, I simply can't afford the K2.

There is also a Samick JS042 only $200 cheaper. This piano had a really nice sound and playing it was nice.

I can buy an old Heintzman transposing piano out right but this one is an old piano for $1100, getting close to 90 yrs old.

I want a piano that will last me years, I am not looking for digital or something that I will be upgrading any time soon.

Any suggestions on how to make the decision easier would be great. ::)

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Re: buying a piano, need help.
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:30:54 PM
No idea about Heintzman transposing intruments, but the make is very highly regarded. Might be worth getting an expert opinion of that one from a piano technician. Otherwise I'd say go with the Kawai. In my experience they are well made and reliable instruments.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:37:46 PM
I've seen a recently restored Heintzman transposing piano.  Fascinating instrument.  The tech who restored it had to manufacture several parts himself, as such things just aren't available.  I'd agree with Richard, that you better have an experienced tech check out such an instrument.

Kawai's are good solid instruments, and they can take a beating. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline silverwoodpianos

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:20:55 PM

With the Heintzman & Co. transposer at 90 years of age, if in original condition, you would have to do considerable work to the action and keyboard in order for the entire instrument to function correctly.

In the transposer, the keyboard is set on a sliding shelf; the key to play in is chosen by a clutch mechanism underneath the keyboard. This means that the keyboard will shift left or right using the interchangeable parts underneath the action to play the mechanism.

The problem with this is if the cloths and felt work in the action/keyboard are badly worn when changing keys the regulation will go off and perhaps not play at all.

Here is a photo album of the transposer if anyone is interested. Left click once on this link and that will take you to the photo album. Then left click once on the first photo, top left, and this will open up the album so that you can read the text below each frame.

In one of the photos I have moved the keyboard to play in another key. You can see what happens when the cloths are worn...the regulation goes off.......

https://picasaweb.google.com/silverwoodpianos/HeintzmanCoTransposingPiano#

I would go with the Kawai for lessons....dependable, tough, not bad sound.

The Heintzman would be a vintage collector item.... and the transposer would be higher maintenance than most.

Maybe you could let me know where you came across this one. I have found 30 of these so far left in Canada. The majority of them are out west here.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline timmyotoole

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:21:00 PM
For most people the decisive factors for choosing a piano will be: price and available space. The Steinway model M measures 5' 7" and is a baby grand piano ideal for limited spaces. It weighs about 560 pounds and because it's so popular, you will have no trouble find an used one.

The Steinway model A is sought after by classical pianists and institutions, where money and space are not much of a concern. It measures 6' 2" and weighs about 695 pounds. I consider the model A to be one of the finest pianos made by Steinway and I think a lot of collectors would agree.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert