Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: analysing pieces @early intermediate  (Read 3770 times)

Offline mark1

• PS Silver Member
analysing pieces @early intermediate
on: July 22, 2004, 06:35:10 AM
Need help with how to break down pieces so I can learn about them. Looking for beginner to early intermediate level compositions(1-2 pages). I don't have a teacher at this moment so any tid-bits of help will be much appreciated. I'm trying to improve my understanding of theory.                 Any help will be a lot of help :D Mark
"...just when you think you're right, you're wrong."

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Re: analysing pieces @early intermediate
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 06:37:21 AM
Im confused- analysing what? the harmony, the meaning of the key signature? the phrasing?  help me out here..

Offline mark1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 07:03:12 AM
That's what I'm asking you :). What should I be looking for...from a beginners point of view? I'm not necessarily new to the piano, but I am new to theory. My musical education has been haphazzard at best and I'm attempting to fill in the blanks. I'm hoping to improve my sight reading and general knowledge. Hope this helps :)
                                                                   Mark

Offline mark1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 07:08:30 AM
I understand key sigs, major/min. Need help with chord progressions, harmony etc                                  

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 01:51:01 PM
For harmonic analysis look at the first prelude in Bach's WTC I. The entire prelude is based upon chord progressions.

There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 03:25:54 PM
Need help with how to break down pieces so I can learn about them. Looking for beginner to early intermediate level compositions(1-2 pages). I don't have a teacher at this moment so any tid-bits of help will be much appreciated. I'm trying to improve my understanding of theory.

There are a lot of things one can do to get a better grip on a piece. Here are just a couple of aspects to get you started:

1. Determine the key that the piece is in. This can be trivial (if the title tells you) or not so trivial (if the title doesn't tell you). You will need to examine relative major/minor keys, find the tonic, find the leading tone, dominant, how they interact, etc.

2. Once you have determined the key, write out the scale and construct all chords (major, minor, augmented, diminished) on all scale degrees. While you are at if, do the same with the relative minor/major scale.

3. Analyze the chords in the piece and name them correctly according to the scale of the piece (I, IV, V, etc.). What is their role? Are there any chord progressions (e.g. I, IV, V, I)? Are there chord inversions? Do they actually all belong to the scale? If not, might there be a key change in the piece? What's the effect of that?

Pieces that are good for the above aspects: Try Bach's prelude No. 2 (BWV 999). For something more romantic, try Chopin's Waltz in A minor (posth). Darn, I just told you the key ;) It's short and sweet and a real crowd pleaser.

But remember: you will really need a teacher to tell you about these things in greater detail. You may be able to play a lot of music without a teacher, but you won't be able to understand what you are playing.

Added: In points 2 and 3 above, I meant "triads", rather than "chords".

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 07:06:42 PM
Mark, buy a theory book with pictures.  It's easier to see this kind of information than have us describe it.  Xvimbi was using words like "Dominant, Leading note, Tonic, Augmented, Diminished, etc.".  Without my theory book, I wouldnt know what he is talking about.  I could tell you an augmented triad is 2 Major Thirds standing on the Tonic note, and a Major third is made up of 2 whole steps, you can be really confused, or you can see an example of it in a book and understand right away.

Think about it,
donjuan

Offline mark1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 07:16:43 PM
Thanks for a starting point guys. It's definately a daunting task on my own, but soon my boy will be in pre-school and I'll be able to see a teacher! ;) Once again,  thanks.                                              Mark

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 01:19:37 AM
For every piece you decide to learn, try to answer the following questions:

1.      Who composed the piece? What was his life and times like?

2.      When was the piece composed and at what stage of the composer’s life? Do we know of any particular meaning attached to the piece – either by the composer or by his biographers? Is this a programmatic piece (if so, what is the story)?

3.      What does the title mean? (In the case the title refers to a musical form, e.g., sonata or prelude, or fughe, what characterises such pieces? In the case the title refers to a dance, e.g., Sarabande or allemande, what was the dance like? Compare the general form with the form of the piece and see the similarities and also the points of departure).

4.      Signs. Look through the score and identify all the signs and make sure you know their meaning (e.g. performance directions like p and f, accent markings, fermatas, ties and slurs etc.). Note clefs and changes of clef.

5.      Rhythm and tempo. Look at the time signature. Look at the rhythm and identify repetitive patterns. What is the tempo (speed)? Is there a metronome marking? And if so was it by the composer?

6.      Melody. What are the melodic patterns? Scales? Harmony derived? Ascending/descending?

7.      Harmony. Make a harmonic reduction of the piece. Make sure you can identify all the chords and chord progressions in the piece. Are there modulations? Which key is the piece in (if tonal)?

8.      Form.What is the form of the piece? (binary, ternary, fughe, sonata form, etc.), Identify the episodes (e.g. in a fughe ,entries of the subject; countersubjects; in sonata form exposition, development and recapitulation). See how much the piece conforms with the form and how much it departs from it.

9.      Phrases. Size of phrases, climaxes.

10.      Dynamics. Dynamic markings; hairpins; accents.

11.      Pedal. Did the composer/editor supplied them?

12.      Fingerings. Distribution of notes between the hands.

13.      Ornamentation. Have ornaments been supplied by the composer/editor? Or are you supposed to improvise them? Ornament realisation must obey period and geographic conventions.

14.      Problem areas. What problems do you anticipate in this piece (for you, for the piece).

Just the tip of the iceberg.  ;)

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert