Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Ocean Etude.  (Read 9890 times)

Offline fungipower

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Ocean Etude.
on: April 13, 2011, 02:02:02 AM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me the chords of in Chopin's Ocean Etude, in order of appearance that is. I plan to improvise on it by playing a simple back and forth appegios interpretation of it, to get a better feel of the piece before extended studies.

Thank you, in advance.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Ocean Etude.
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 02:21:25 AM
Why don't you analize it?
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:20:35 PM
Why don't you analize it?

I agree that this is your best (and possibly only) option.

If your knowledge of music theory is limited (and/or you get stumped), there is at least one "chord finder" available online.  This is the site I use:

https://www.gootar.com/piano/

It has an interactive piano keyboard, and is capable of spelling out the notes of a scale or chord or, alternatively, allowing you to select notes and then naming the chord they comprise.

It's a great tool!
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:14:12 PM
This etude is very straightforward for analyzing the chord structure.  For the most part the music lines up vertically and harmonic changes occur at regular and predictable intervals. 

You should attempt to do an analysis yourself.  If you stumble across some of the dissonant chords, just remember this piece uses pedal point quite a bit  ;)
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert