Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Bach Invention No. 13  (Read 8513 times)

Offline flyinfingers

Bach Invention No. 13
on: October 03, 2012, 03:48:00 AM
Hi, everyone!  Haven't been around but miss everyone, so busy with this last summer and now we're back to piano!
I'm learning Bach two-part invention No. 13.  It is a struggle for me, learning like two measures per week.  I'm also learning Chopin's Polonaise in G minor, which is easier, but I do love the Bach as it's a challenge for me.  Do you have any suggestions in going about studying the piece?  My teacher has suggested learning it in half measures and the "up to time" which is helpful, but the fingering is difficult.  Just wanted to say Hi!
I wear my heart on my sleeve.  Don't touch my shirt!  Coined by yours truly, flyinfingers

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach Invention No. 13
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:56:33 AM
i think the best approach normally with these is 'hands seperate' first then 'lines sepearate' that is you'll want to find those places where the line jumps between the hands and holds it together,

then play a single line and sing another line along with it, then sing the remaining line,

play two lines and sing the 3rd, etc.

you've got to make sure you're always aware of what each voice is goind. pay special attention to the entrances.

that's been my approach and the one suggested to me in my lessons.

yes figure out the fingering and write it in, then stay consistent with it. if you have trouble with it, consult other editions. be open to and willing to change suggested fingerings to. sometimes they're complete rubbish.

Offline zillybug

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:54:12 PM
I am working on my second invention and yes they are a challenge but I really like Bach. The first thing I did was analyze it for all variations of the motive (motive, inversion and retrogrades ) My teacher has me do about 3 to 4 lines a week and they have to be memorized hand separate. After doing the whole piece like that, I then put it together very slowly. Ornaments are added at the end. If you google Bernhard on this forum and teaching Bach inventions, he gives a step by step approach to learning the 1st invention which could probably be applied to most of them.  I found that fingering is vital when playing Bach. Write it in and then be very consistent. I do fine that learning Bach is hard work but worth it in the end. After I have learned and memorized it, I actually find Bach relaxing to play.  Good luck with your invention
Judy

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 06:21:57 AM
Thanks, everyone.  yes, my teacher has looked at other editions to help with the fingering and it's useful because fingering is paramount in learning Bach.   I think my problem has been that I am impatient and now I'm trying to train myself to learn measures as they are "fractures" according to Charles Cooke's book "Learning to Play Piano for Pleasure."  It's a nice book and I like it.  I'm making progress as I'm slowing down my practice to the aforementioned "fractures."  I really like the Bach pieces.  I think I might do an easier one after this to give me confidence.  Is that a good idea?
Enrique. my teacher sings a lot!  I can't carry a tune.  I was playing a piece and making up lyrics singing my love for my dog and the look on her face....ha!  It was priceless!   I ordered a Korg metronome as my teacher is in love with metronomes!!!!  She's priceless!
P.S.  There are some editions that play the left hand (or right hand) legato. My edition is stocatto  - I hope I didn't misspell that -- and I'm wondering how you play the detached notes.  My teacher says to play them not stocatto but just detached.   Just wondering....thanks!

I wear my heart on my sleeve.  Don't touch my shirt!  Coined by yours truly, flyinfingers

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 03:13:55 AM
lol my teacher is making me do this one this week...I am sight reading it and the only way to get through any Bach is with clever fingering. Once you figure out a fingering, do hands separate...start slow, of course. try getting through the first page asap. Also, listening to it a couple of times, just not from Glen Gould because he plays it in like 40 seconds. LOL
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:15:30 AM
listening to it a couple of times, just not from Glen Gould because he plays it in like 40 seconds.

Trouble is, I haven't found another recording of the inventions that compares to the excitement of his yet..

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 04:36:20 AM
Hi, everyone!  Haven't been around but miss everyone, so busy with this last summer and now we're back to piano!
I'm learning Bach two-part invention No. 13.  It is a struggle for me, learning like two measures per week.  I'm also learning Chopin's Polonaise in G minor, which is easier, but I do love the Bach as it's a challenge for me.  Do you have any suggestions in going about studying the piece?  My teacher has suggested learning it in half measures and the "up to time" which is helpful, but the fingering is difficult.  Just wanted to say Hi!

Aside from fingering, when you practice whatever section or measure, try different dynamics with it. For instance , try a section very loud and deliberate, then the same section very soft. Right hand loud left hand soft, vice versa. Stacatto soft, Legato loud, vice versa. Doing that will add an element of control to your final playing of the piece and the beauty of it is that Bach does not specify dynamics so what ever you end up with wont be "wrong" per se.  You can learn to play it soft and sweet or loud and rowdy - but always with control.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 03:10:33 AM
Trouble is, I haven't found another recording of the inventions that compares to the excitement of his yet..
He sets the standard so high!
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline emedylinaira

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 08:36:26 PM
P.S.  There are some editions that play the left hand (or right hand) legato. My edition is stocatto  - I hope I didn't misspell that -- and I'm wondering how you play the detached notes.  My teacher says to play them not stocatto but just detached.   Just wondering....thanks!

The reason that she wants them detached (and perhaps your book has them staccato) is the limitations on the keyboard instrument in Bach's time. They played on the harpsichord, on which I believe it was quite difficult to play legato, or if you could, it sounded very different from the modern piano's legato. Of course, detaching the notes also makes the piece brighter.

Playing detached notes are definitely not staccato - staccato is short and sharp; detached notes are simply what they are - detached. Make them long but still with space between each. When I learned (and played for examination) this invention, I played the eighth notes detached and I did pretty well considering a mess up in the middle.  ;D
working on:
Rachmaninoff - Prelude in G minor, op 23 no 5
Beethoven - Sonata no 14, mvt 3
Beethoven - Piano concerto no 4, mvt 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert