Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Ballade No.3 As-dur  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Sydney

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Ballade No.3 As-dur
on: November 16, 2004, 10:29:10 AM
Which way do you play the ornaments of Ballade No.3 Bar 116 to 122. I myself like to hit the ornaments before the LH enters...I hit the LH exactly same timing of the RH first note after the ornaments. Thus I start to count the beat from there.
Some people strongly believe that the first note of the ornaments should be hit with the LH note...
Same as the final section Bar 231 and 233. I do hit the RH C with the same timing of LH As(octave). 

Offline tocca

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Ballade No.3 As-dur
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 06:25:23 AM
As far as i know the first note of the ornament and the LH should be together, as you say in the second paragraph... i'm one of theese "strong believers"  :)

All the books i've read about how to go about this, and my teacher, agrees on this!
I don't know how "set in stone" this rule is though...

Offline Sydney

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 07:33:15 AM
Thank you for your response. I have seen many books that indicate a line between the LH note and the first note of the ornaments.
However, when I see the photo copy of Chopin's original score, there is nothing indicated there.

Anyone, couls you kindly please tell me the very solid reason why most people take this way??

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 03:41:57 AM
This is Chopin....
You may take liberties on how you play the ornementations.
Try different ways, pick the one you like most.

No ornementation in Chopin is truly imposed.

Offline tocca

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 02:00:08 PM

Anyone, couls you kindly please tell me the very solid reason why most people take this way??

I don't think i've ever heard a solid reason actually. It's just one of theese things i've been taught that "this is the way it's meant to be".

But, as Maxy says, there's always room for ones own interpretation. Maybe more so in Chopin than in many other composers work.

Offline Nordlys

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 11:08:21 PM

I think we have this information from one of the students of Chopin.  We thus know that he wanted the ornament here played together with the base note, even though it is not clear from the printed score.

Offline Rockitman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 11:49:54 PM
I've been told by a former teacher that all of Chopin's ornamentations should begin play at the same time as the left in the beginning of a measure.  He meant them to be played this way.   Where this teacher got her information,  I do not know. 

Offline mozartgonebad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 04:16:16 AM
I am also playing that piece, and I tend to play the ornament before the LH note. I just think it sounds better  ;D
~~*GOOD QUOTES*~~

"There are more bad musicians than there is bad music."
--Isaac Stern"

"There are still so many beautiful things to be said in C major."
-- Sergei Prokofiev
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert