Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Mendelssohn etude in B flat minor Op. 104 no. 1  (Read 2076 times)

Offline sv3nno

• PS Silver Member
Mendelssohn etude in B flat minor Op. 104 no. 1
on: January 24, 2014, 06:35:17 PM
This is one of the 2 pieces i will be playing for the piano competition in my school tomorrow. (there were some problems with the second recording - Grieg's "wedding day at troldhaugen".)

(the piano is a bit out of tune, and half step lower than normal.. but it shouldn't be too bad to listen.)

Please tell me what you think about it.
thanks in advance!

Live With the Earth, not On it.

Offline sv3nno

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mendelssohn etude in B flat minor Op. 104 no. 1
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:59:52 PM
no one? :/

Offline gore234

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:09:39 PM
I enjoyed listening to your performance. 

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:11:18 AM
(the piano is a bit out of tune, and half step lower than normal..

Actually, it's a entire tone out of pitch. That's actually quite serious. I've heard of pianos being a semitone out, but a whole tone - can't that damage the piano???

Just out of curiosity - is this piece being played to speed... It sounds kind of slow? I'd also just say breathe a little more with the piece. It seems just a little too metronomic. Shape the phrases a little better and feel the growth and decay of the emotional intensity a little more.

Offline sv3nno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:43:02 AM
Thank you for your suggestions, perfect_pitch :)

I didn't believe i'd do so well... probably all the people there, and all the judges congradulated me, and one of the judges said that my interpretation of the mendelssohn etude was probably the best he's ever heard!

i'm still waiting for the results, the awarding ceremony is in 4 hours :)

Offline sv3nno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 05:44:45 PM
I won a laureate, and a special prize for the mendelssohn etude, which basically means i shared the first place in my age group with another pianist from another school :D

this was my first ever piano competition, i wasn't even hoping for a diploma, but now i won a laureate and a special prize too :D i'm so happy right now!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:01:37 AM
Sorry, I too have absolute pitch, and trying to listen to this resulted in unpleasant cognitive dissonance for me.

Please get a pitch raise or a new piano! I couldn't listen to this, even though you seem like a talented player! 

Offline noambenhamou

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 07:08:13 AM
I don't get it. In the time Mendelssohn composed this piece there wasn't a tuning standard, do a4 could have Been 400 or 480 who the heck knows. All that matters is that the notes are in tune relative to each other no?

I never heard this before so I can't comment besides that this guy can obviously play and I really enjoyed it. I didn't know Mendelssohn wrote etudes. I must dig into it and see if I can find a new gem to play :)

Offline anima55

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 05:32:38 PM
I won a laureate, and a special prize for the mendelssohn etude, which basically means i shared the first place in my age group with another pianist from another school :D

this was my first ever piano competition, i wasn't even hoping for a diploma, but now i won a laureate and a special prize too :D i'm so happy right now!

Congratulations! :)  You must be very pleased.  To be honest, I haven't heard this piece before so having no idea what key it should be in meant it wasn't spoilt for me in the slightest.  Great playing, and well done :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert