Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Black clothes that look brown?!?!  (Read 1638 times)

Offline kclee6337

Black clothes that look brown?!?!
on: April 16, 2014, 03:08:56 AM
I have a recital coming up and I wanted to get some new clothes for it. My last recital I wore a black shirt which looks black. anyone seeing it would say its black. However up on stage it looked almost brown, while my pants which were also black. looked black on stage.

My question is why do some black clothes look brown on stage? I want to buy a new shirt to prevent this but I'm scared i'll get something that will turn brown on stage. Is it something in the materials?

My shirt wasn't old or anything it was my first time wearing it so its not like it was faded.

Please help!!!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Black clothes that look brown?!?!
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:37:27 AM
Different dyes look different under different lighting conditions.  Black and white are especially prone to this, though all colours may be affected.

The only way to be sure to avoid it is to have everything you want to match made from the same cloth, or to have (intentionally) different colours for the shirt and pants.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert