Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How to record a CD?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
How to record a CD?
on: July 16, 2014, 10:16:27 PM
I only want audio. I'll be playing roughly 30 minutes worth of material, but I'm relatively clueless as to anything technology related when it comes to music.
That said, how can I record a CD? It will be just to a family member, but I'd like it to actually be a CD and not a video. Thanks!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to record a CD?
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:18:59 PM
Is this a one-time thing, or are you looking to do more recordings after this project is complete?

Can you post a link to a recording on Youtube (or similar) as an example of recording quality that you have as a goal.  Referring to the recording, not the musical or interpretative content. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:23:34 AM
About this level of recording:

It mentions a program that I'm looking into, going to check it out. Likely will do future projects after this, possibly even to be commercially sold.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:44 AM
That recording was done with a MIDI keyboard, and a MIDI recording program.  Do you have a keyboard with MIDI jacks?

MIDI records performance data and not audio: things like key presses, pedal presses, key velocity, etc.  Upon playback, you need a device or software to translate that performance data back to audio.  This could be your digital piano, or sampling software.  This is fine for personal playback, but not for a CD you wish to distribute. 

In order to make a Red Book CD that will play in a stand-alone CD player, you need to capture audio.  In the above scenario, you would need record the audio generated by the recorded MIDI file.  Alternatively you could just record the audio directly from your digital piano.  Recording MIDI first does have its advantage if you own one of those sampling programs with virtual concert grands by Steinway, Bösendorfer and such makers. 

If you own an acoustic piano, you would need to get into microphones.

Can you post details of the piano you wish to use in the recording.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 02:09:30 AM
It's a baby grand Young Chang. Btw thanks for all the information ^^

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:10:48 AM
Unless you have one of those MIDI systems installed in your piano, a MIDI only recording program won't work for you.  For an acoustic instrument, you will need microphones.  

Portable recorders are probably a good way to get started.  They are inexpensive and don't require too much technical know how to operate.  There are lots of them on the market now to choose from.  Mics, preamp, and recorder built into one unit.  After you record you transfer the files to your computer for editing and CD burning.  

Here is a sampling:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1006--Portable_Recorders

For a recording/editing program you can start with Audacity.  It is free and open source:
https://audacity.sourceforge.net

If you are looking to do more serious recording projects later on, you might want to start looking at building a recording system with separate components.  Having the ability to choose and position your mics precisely will have a great impact on the recording quality.  Even the inexpensive mics in the $100-500 range will give you really good results if you apply good mic technique.  
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert